Topic

MYOG – Another Dyneema Pyramid Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG – Another Dyneema Pyramid Tent

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Locale: Los Angeles

Fellas-

I recently finished up my very first MYOG project and thought I would share since my inspiration and much help came from this forum. Looking for an ultralight shelter I decided to go with a single trekking pole supported pyramid style tent. I’m about a 7.5/10 on the happiness scale on how it turned out. Definitely learned A LOT during this project. It’s constructed from 0.51 oz dyneema, fully taped with the only sewing being one row up along either side of the zipper. I’ve slept 5 nights in it so far with the only major issue being a trickiness to get a tight pitch. (I’m sure that’s due to my lack of construction skills.) Total weight with stakes and guy lines came in just under 16 oz which is a huge upgrade from the 26 I was carrying before!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Looks great! What was your technique on the reinforcement patch at the peak? I’m still not satisfied with mine yet so curious to see what everyone else uses. I tend to be a little picky.

Ryan

JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Ryan,

For the reinforcement patch at the peak I took a 3-4″ circular piece of 420D from Ripstop. I staked the corners of the tent then from inside the tent folded the circular piece up in the cone until it fit as best it would. I marked the two fold points with a pen then cut out the folded “pizza slice” shape from the circular patch. From there I used doubled-sided adhesive to tape it in as well as single-sided cuben-backed tape around the edges. So far so good but again I’ve only got 5 nights of use. Headed back to the Ruby’s in Nevada in a couple of days so I’ll get some wear n’ tear in soon!

Joe

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks really good, nice job

What did you use to tape seams?

Did you have catenary curves on the ridges?  That might make it pitch more taut.

JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Thanks, Jerry!

To tape the seams I used 1/2″ double sided adhesive tape from Rip Stop: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/dyneema-composite-fabric-double-sided-adhesive-tape

I also ran over both sides (inside and out) of each seam a strip of 1″ thin Dyneema-backed tape. I picked that up from Zpacks: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tape.shtml (Called their Seam/Repair Tape)

I did NOT do catenary curves for my ridges but rather cut straight edges. That is definitely my biggest regret of the project. I wish could go back and redo because as you said, I think that is the root of my pitch issues.

Joe

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Looks pretty nice Joseph for your first MYOG project. Did you find the DCF hard to work with in any way? And what’s the footprint length and width and the pole height? Curious if it’s a one-person or larger mid given it’s 16 oz weight with 0.51 DCF.

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

..Why not cut the cat curves in. I did this when I wasn’t happy with a small flat tarp. I found it easier to just fold and cut the curve flat then I cut a (abt. 2 ft) piece of particle board to the same slight concave convex curves to roll new cuben backed tape over the join. I know it sounds dramatic but really didn’t take too long. If you haven’t sewed the tie-outs you may find they peel straight off. (them and the peak I would sew personally, but then iv’e not tried without. I do like avoiding the sewing as well). Really nice anyway, neat job, you could just live with 7.5/10  ; )  well done.

JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Lester,

Not having experience with other fabrics as this was my first MYOG project, I didn’t think the Dyneema was by any means difficult to work with. When I first got it in my hands I thought “wow this different!” Having lots of space, a sharp knife and a good cutting board was vital. At first I tried cutting on cardboard..(that didn’t work AT all). In a short amount of time I worked the kinks out and had zero issues.

The footprint is 160 cm x 259 cm and pitches with a trekking pole height of 132 cm. It’s roomy. On my own there is plenty of extra space even with all my gear. It could definitely sleep two people. Two people with gear…no way.

Wild Exped,

Admittedly, I got a little scared with the cat curves in fear of “messing up” which is why I decided to go with the straight cuts. Again, I wish I would have done the cat curves and think they would significantly help with the pitch. If I do see peeling starting to happen on the tie outs or around the peak that will force me to reinforce with sewing. Fingers crossed as for now I’m hoping the tape holds. For whatever reason I find it neat to keep the stitches to a minimum.

Joe

Chris B
    Spectator

@benzy-87

Awesome!! Looks great! Where do you get DCF at a cost low enough to be cost effective to make your own?

JOSEPH S
    BPL Member

@shofn006

Chris,

It certainly wasn’t a cost effective project at all. I haven’t tallied up my total cost but the Dyneema from Ripstop was $16/half yard (I purchased 14), I spent at least $100 on tape, then other miscellaneous items and especially time value… If cost was my focus I would probably be better off to just purchase from a manufacturer. That said, it’s a incredibly fun project and so rewarding when actually set-up and sleep in your MYOG tent. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Joe

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Nice!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools