Topic

MYOG Backpacking Fiddle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Backpacking Fiddle

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Just completed a ‘cigar box’ style fiddle for backpacking. My design considerations were weight, durability, and field maintainable. And I wanted the scale length of a full sized violin. Got the neck and fingerboard from eBay and bought real tonewood from a guitar wood supplier. It’s not bad. Weighs 413g.  Plan is to make a cuben sack to keep it dry, as it will travel outside the pack.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Where is the photo?  Sound clip?

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Well, I did post 3 photos.  Not sure where they went.  Sound clip coming.

trying again with pics.

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Very nice!  Can’t wait to hear the sound clip.  Maybe a comparison with the two?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

that’s mighty sweet Patrick! Frankly if it sounds half way decent I’d just suggest everyone in my party take a day trip while I sit and fiddle in camp. Violin in the wild! what could be better? didn’t Orpheus charm animals in the woods with his playing?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Wow, nice work Patrick! It must be really nice work since Jeff got your name right!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I don’t see a bow, but I’m assuming you can make one that holds up the back of a ProTrail.

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

I recorded a sound clip, but can’t figure out how to post it.  Any one that can help?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I don’t think you can post it here, just photos. same with video, can’t post it directly here. you could always make a video, put on youtube, and then post the youtube url here (which should then embed the video here)

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

If you are interested in the sound of the little fiddle, you can check it out on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yibHlw4C98

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Very nice! Comfortable enough on the chin with that cut down pad?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Patrick, that’s fabulous! I’d sit around a campfire with you any day! :-)

btw, when adding youtube links, make sure you hit ‘return’ after putting in the url, so that the video embeds into your post, like this:

YouTube video

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Too cool.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

That is great!  Thanks so much for posting the video.  That would be pretty sweet even to listen to from across a lake someplace.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Excellent!  Bravo! Well done sir!

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

The chin rest isn’t super comfortable, but I will give it a try.  It’s OK.  I have a small plastic one from a 1/4 violin that I can also use.  Trying to go with the least weight.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.  Maybe you’ll hear me out there one day!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Wow, nail that catfish! That’s pretty awesome. Maybe someday I’ll have my travel mandolin with me and we can have a little jam.

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Beautiful!  Thanks for sharing.  It’s fun to see projects in something a little bit different than the usual.  I kept expecting to see a picture of it all folded up in a cigar box!  (that’s where my mind went when you described it above)

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I know nothing of lutherie, but I do know quality woodwork; you did a nice job on that piece.  I wish that I had even an ounce of musical ability, as it would be wonderful to sit and play for awhile after a day on the trail.  Again: lovely work.  I hope to see more.

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Craig–I actually tried some other ideas, but the strings place about 80 lbs of pressure on the top, so it has to be a little robust.  Cigar box fiddles date back to the Civil War.  Apparently, there were lots of cigar boxes, but not many fiddles.

Piper–I hope we get to jam.  Several years ago I carried a mandolin on the AT.  Here is a pic of an ad hoc jam that broke out one night at a shelter in PA.  I’m playing a sweet pea mandolin.  The other two hikers were great–one carried a full on fiddle and the other a full size banjo!

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Patrick, are you interested in working with us on turning this post into a formal article where you walk us through your process step by step (with honorarium, of course!). If so email me at [email protected]

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Can you imagine hiking the AT with a banjo? I have an octave mandolin banjo and the thing weighs 8lbs.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Maybe it’s me but playing a banjo on the Appalachian Trail might not be a great idea….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools