Topic

MYOG Backpacking Fiddle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Backpacking Fiddle

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

“playing a banjo on the Appalachian Trail might not be a great idea….”

Jon,  What causes you think that way?  Could it be that the movie Deliverance is still used by the tourism boards for many of the states along the trail? ;-)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

But how can you have a proper jam without a banjo and a fiddle?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Don’t we have enough violins in our country already? Violins during the protest marches, violins at the insurrection. Now you want to encourage violins in the back country?

Squeal little piggy! 🐷

Beautiful work. Dr. Les Waddel makes carbon fiber mandolins under a pound, but they are not nearly as beautiful. Hope to see an article!

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Patrick

Impressive work!

Any reason why you chose to go without the f-holes and (presumably) a sound-post?

Most backpacking fiddles I’ve seen have been more traditional about this. Also most dancing-master kit fiddles (pochettes).

And what are you planning for the bow? A little 3/4 carbon fibre baroque, maybe? Portable and relatively bombproof…

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Actually it has a bass bar and a sound  post.  I looked for info on how f-holes work on a flat top and found a builder that stated they are no better than what i did, or a round sound hole.  I was also concerned that the f=holes would make it less robust, because the width of the top is quite narrow–so the f-holes would be very close to the bridge feet.

I tried a pochette but thought it lacked volume, and length.  I definitely wanted a fiddle with the standard 4/4 scale length and body length, so I could stick it under my chin and play it like a real one.

For the bow, I got a 1/4 carbon fiber bow.  I wanted a bow that would be the same length as the fiddle so it would fit into the (soon to be made) cuben fiber stuff sack.

It’s all prototype.  When it warms up, I’ll take it out on some short trips to test it out.  There may be some tweaks or a v.2

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Thanks for the details!

You inspired me to take a look around at what’s available.

Impressed by this one – sounds good and pretty affordable. Something to aim for?

https://youtu.be/0lMo4zuh3Fg

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

The cricket is the best thing I’ve seen commercially produced.  I wrote them to ask about the weight–15 oz is what they told me.  That’s really good.  i did everything i could to shave weight and am still at 14.5 oz.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I gotta see the cuben fiber stuff sack. How will the bow and the bridge be protected in the stuff sack?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

That is marvelous playing by the OP, and his knowledge of stringed instruments must have had a lot to do with the excellent tone.

For those like me without the skills to play a fiddle, there are kits for dulcimers.  Joni Mitchell played her dulcimer on her early albums.  They can be open tuned to a particular chord to make playing easy with a pick, and can be very light.  Google dulcimer kits to see what is available.

They go well with fiddles, so you can play with a mountain band.

Knew someone would make a crack about banjos and appalachian hiking.

Patrick W
    BPL Member

@mando12

Sam, dulcimers are cool.  There are some mountain musicians that can really play them well.  Great sound.  Check out  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WvaeilpcRc&t=4s

Piper, the bow will just be in a sleeve to protect against rain.  My plan is to cut closed cell foam to sit on each side of the bridge, which is what is often done when shipping violins.   And there are bridges and then there are bridges.  A nice, sensitive bridge is important on a good violin, and very vulnerable.  I used a cheap, thick bridge for  robustness.  But everything is subject to change.  I am making it up as I go.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

McNally Strumstick makes a stick dulcimer. I bring one backpacking sometimes.

Brian H
    BPL Member

@reno1

That is really cool!  I live really close to the PCT (Reno) and on many occasions I’ve seen through hikers with small stringed instruments, but never a homemade one.  Carrying a harmonica that I can’t really play that well is my limit.  Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools