Topic

My completed 20 degree 850 down quilt.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My completed 20 degree 850 down quilt.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kristen t
    Spectator

@kristenandseth-2

it’s 6.5 feet long and 58 inches wide. I used 15 ounces of 850 down. I used hyperd1 for the fabric. This was my first project. I’m currently working on a apex quilt and making a mock up of a hyperlitemountain gear 2400 wind rider. I would like to work on it this weekend, but I’m not sure what kind of stitches they are using. If you would like to look at the pics of a hyperlite 2400 and tell me the stitch they are using, that would be awesome. I’m going to do a kind of live update from drawing to cutting and sewing log of the project. Here is the link to the hlmg post. It would be really cool if you wanted to check it out and help me with the kind of stitch. Thanks 

kristen t
    Spectator

@kristenandseth-2

I haven’t made a bag for it yet. What size dry bag or roll top bag would you make?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Link is missing.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Nicely done!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, living here in NY, water is ALWAYS expected whenever I head out. I would simply get an eVent/compression bag to carry it. Size is very important to me with my small ~35L packs, so, the dry bag will also compress your sleeping cloths (long johns/socks) and down jacket. It fits nicely into the bottom of the pack. BTW, I have dumped it in my canoe, done some inadvertent swimming, and hiked for a few days in steady drizzle without getting my bedding wet.

kristen t
    Spectator

@kristenandseth-2

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/myog-hyperlite-2400-questions/     

Here is the link to the project of the hyperlite 2400. If anyone wants to help with what stitching it is. I forgot to post it. Thanks Ken

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Looks GREAT in the pics!  Are you happy with how it came out?  Any problem areas or things you would do differently in hindsight? And of course, what’s the total weight?!

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Great looking quilt! Nicely done and thanks for sharing. It looks like it tapers at the foot area a bit – what is the width there?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nicely done – two tone stylish, sewing, the sequence of pictures that explain what you did,…

I gave an answer to your stitching question.

I made a silnylon bag for my quilt.  Make sure and seal seams.  Inside this bag, inside my pack protects the quilt, I’ve never notice it get wet.  Make it as small as possible that you can still easily stuff it into. then compress this inside your pack.

R
    Spectator

@autox

For your stuff sack size, check out what various manufacturers use.  The primary consideration is quantity of down.  Your 15oz of 850pf is equivalent to 14oz of 900pf, and Zpacks puts that in a 6″x12″ dry bag.

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/solo-quilt.shtml

Nice work!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Great work Kristen, it’s good to see that a baffled quilt is within reach of a MYOG novice. Did you find the quilt difficult to make, and did you follow any particular plans, instructions or a pattern?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

BPL even has a full article on MYOG quilts with baffles, written ages ago (early 2009).

Cheers

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Where did you got your packaged down? I built myself a down quilt several years ago but don’t remembere where i got mine. It was so easy geting in already packaged.

Thanks!

Garrett P
    BPL Member

@ghikercook

Great Job

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools