Topic

More stable alcohol stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) More stable alcohol stoves

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

YouTube video

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Caldera Cone is the only way to fly. The efficiency is the best of all the alcohol stoves I have tried. DIY windscreens and pot stand’s aren’t as wind resistant, let alone being stable.

You still won’t be able to use it if there is a ban.

Which pot(s) do you have Brett?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I know some places have clarified their fire bans to exclude alcohol stoves, so it no longer depends on which ranger you talk to like it used to.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

1.3 Ti Evernew.

Yeah, I have been think about the bans also.  Where I a it doesn’t really get dry but once I get further West and East I am sure there will be some.  It makes me think if I just want to keep using a fancy/feast style stove for now and see how things sort out.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

It seems to me that using an Evernew 1.3 liter pot on a fancy/feast style stove violates your original objective of stability.  My 2 cents.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

No problems with stability using the fancy/feast style stove

Full disclosure: blah, blah blah

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I was wondering if anyone could suggest alcohol stoves that are more stable with a pot and have a possible stand and windscreen that can be used with them.

The Fancee Feest stove has a built in pot support…it’s one piece.

You can make a simple windscreen from a piece of aluminum just like Roger Caffin uses with his stove. He cooks inside of his tent most of the time. The windscreen goes 3/4 of the way around the stove.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Hopefully this graphic will explain pot stability. An object will tip over when the Center of Gravity (CG) exceeds the last remaining support holding the object up. This is often referred to as the tipping point. Here are 3 simplified examples to demonstrate the impact of a cooking systems base support: Fancy Feest, Bobcat Original and Trail Designs Sidewinder. The assumption is that all 3 system hold a pot (Evernew 1.3 liter) the same elevation off of the ground. By measuring the angle, you can determine relative stability. From these examples, you can see that the wide base is twice as robust as a sit on top cat can stove: (50 degree angle /24 degree angle=~2X). Hopefully, this is clear to people.  Trust in math: it works.  My 2 cents.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I was wondering if anyone could suggest alcohol stoves that are more stable with a pot and have a possible stand and windscreen that can be used with them.

In Shug’s video you can see the windscreen he uses:

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Different ways to approach stoves and cook kits with windscreens:

YouTube video

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

That Fancy Feest stove design is nice compared to other “cat” stoves.

Stable is not a term I would use for “cat” stoves. They need to be on flat and level ground, plus the larger the pot the more unstable. Add a windscreen and you can’t see if the pot shifts, especially if stirring the contents of the pot.

Bruce M
    Spectator

@va3pinner

Locale: In the shadow of the Shenandoah

my choice when I go alcohol:

https://clikstand.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools