Topic

Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles Kit/Bundle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Modified Toaks 550 Titanium pot with handles Kit/Bundle

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Thank you Dan for putting this together. It’s a really awesome little solo kit.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thank you Dan for putting this together. It’s a really awesome little solo kit.

100% agree! Thanks!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I also agree!  This is as close to perfect as I can imagine…… THANKS!!!!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It was a fun project. Glad for the opportunity to be of service.

Late next week I’ll offer the Toaks Light 600 with handles Kit

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Dan…what’s the chance of you offering a handless Toaks 550 Light again? I’d be pretty keen on that (I just need the pot and cone…got the rest of your kit already!). I’ll happily add back in those extra grams over fosters pots…straight pots so much easier to clean.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

given the TD cone is titanium, has anyone tried using the cone as a wood stove? I assume feeding the fire would require removing the pot (a small hassle) and also the distance between the fire and the pot would be closer than ideal, but has anyone tried doing this in a pinch?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Yes, plenty have. In fact Trail Designs makes them for such. Take a look at their website :-)

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Adam, thanks. I’ve used the TD inferno with a couple pots, but they’ve all been in the traditional TD cone style, meaning sitting atop tent stakes threaded through the TD cone – which places the pot higher than in the modified Toaks kit. This kit has the pot sitting lower, low enough where there’s no slot for feeding wood into the fire without removing the pot. I guess I’m wondering, given the difference here, if the modified Toaks kit still works as a wood burning stove and if so, is it still somewhat effective in this mode as a means for boiling water.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Adam, I won’t be making 550’s with or without handles for a while. I need at least 10 people wanting it to keep trail designs interested.

Gabe, in a few weeks I’ll introduce a three fuel titanium kit that will burn wood. Here is the basic wood burning mode using the Toaks titanium cross bars on top and bottom of the stove. One load of twigs will boil 2 cups of water. If needed, there is plenty of room to add twigs between stove body and pot supports.

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

Is there any reason why existing Toaks 550 pot kit users couldn’t pick up 2 sets of the Toaks cross bar sets – one for on top of the cone and one for on the ground inside the cone and maybe some helpful metal fabricator could make and sell a 4.5″ circular stainless mesh heat diffuser that would rest on top of the bottom crossbars to support wood inside the cone?

The crossbar and mesh would provide for some airflow under the wood pile. But there’s not much volume inside the cone for wood, so I wonder if keeping it fed would be a hassle?

Ideally it would probably be good to get a flat metal disc to protect the ground underneath from burning cinders like they sell with the inferno kit.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Hi Steve, All the necessary parts will be included in my kit.

Yes, the Ti pot supports can be purchased from Toaks but they will not fit under the Trail Designs cone that was made for the toaks 550’s The bottom of the cone needs to be raised to allow sufficient air to enter. Wood stoves need plenty of air. The Toaks supports are not long enough to span the bottom of the cone. There is plenty of room inside the stove to boil 2 cups of water. 2oz of wood is all you need for 2 cups water.

I’ve  completed a few test in my days :-)

YouTube video

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Dan,

Nice. I’m looking forward to learning more. is there anything you can share now about the specs and the anticipated price?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Gabe, there is a little info on another thread:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/starlytexl-1-year-of-use-review/

Craig “Pisco” Gulley
    BPL Member

@cgulley

Locale: Midwest

Yes, I would like one please

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@cgulley, I’ll contact you when I’m ready to do another batch. I’ll include some 550’s Thank you for your interest in the kit :-)

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@llewdis

If not to late to be added, please add me.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

Dan – Please add me to the list for the 550 pot with handles kit if you make another batch.

Steve

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Good news from Toaks. They will have the Toaks Light 550 Pots in stock April-May

The kit will have different components. If interested in other Toaks pots, post your interest here.

The kits will be similar to the Toaks 700 that I made available last year. All pots will have a ridgeline for added strength.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Dan, Is the TD cone still available for this pot? I ended up with an extra pot when I upgraded to handles. The 550 has been my go to setup since you put them together.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

John, the TD cone is no longer available. My kits will have a Titanium cone windscreen and titanium pot support.

Send your extra pot to me and I’ll add a ridge to it so you can use it with your TD cone. Send your address in a PM.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

This one already has a ridge that you did..I’m looking to complete the rest of the set. :)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Well then, your all set. I’ll make available to you the items seen in this Toaks Light 700 kit to go along with your 550:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/toaks-light-700-titanium-cook-kit/

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Hi Dan

After using my Bot 700 last week (with gas), I’m interested in doing a windshield and alcohol for it. I have your starlytes already except the XL model which I don’t need in this case anyway. Probably the modified one I imagine is the go.

How hard would it be for you to do a windscreen and stand similar to the toaks light 700 kit above for the BOT 700? I don’t mind if the windscreen is taller/too tall to fit in the BOT 700… the idea of the BOT is that you often use it to pre-soak food or as an extra water container, so the windscreen and stove I’ll store seperately in my pack (BOT goes in side bottle pocket nicely).

I’m in Aus, otherwise I’d ship you the BOT 700 for your testing purposes if you don’t already have one.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Hi Adam, I recently purchased a used 1 ltr Bot here on BPL. I will be adding a ridgeline to it and will make a conical windsheild to go along with it. The Bot 700 is the same diameter as the 1ltr so when I make mine, I’ll make one for you. I’ll be using the Starlyte XL3 with mine.

I won’t be returning home from my winter glamping until the end of March. I’m away from my equipment. I’ll be glad to make one for you when I return.

bot 700
    SPECIFICATIONS

Weight: 4.8 ounces (138 grams)

Capacity: 700 ml (23 oz)

Outer Diameter: 4.1 inches (105 mm)

Inner Diameter: 3.8 inches (96 mm)

Height: 4.8 inches (122 mm)

vargo bot 1ltr

SPECIFICATIONS

Capacity: 1.0 liter (34 oz)

Outer Diameter: 4.1 inches (105 mm)

Inner Diameter: 3.8 inches (96 mm)

Height: 6.3 inches (160 mm)

Weight: 5.2 ounces (147 grams)

Jerome H.
    BPL Member

@spambait11

The kits will be similar to the Toaks 700 that I made available last year. All pots will have a ridgeline for added strength.

Hi Dan: I would like a 700 pot kit with the ridgeline.

Thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools