Topic

Map Apps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I’m thinking about getting a map app that I can use offline for backcountry use.  Been thinking about Gia or Backcountry Navigator.  What would you guys recommend?  Looks like Gia has unlimited access to download maps for offline use, I want to make sure I don’t get charged extra every time I want new maps.  Just want to have something I can confirm my location with every once in awhile if I need too.  I mainly use paper maps.  In the past I have used my Garmin Forerunner to check my coordinates.  Do any of the apps display your coordinates or just show where you are on a map?  Are any of the apps able to display UTM coordinates?

This is kind of a separate question, is there a way to get coordinates from an Android gps without having an app?  According to the research I have done you have to have some sort of mapping app to use the gps, it won’t just give you coordinates.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

The maps for Backcountry Navigator are like $15… one time fee.  The pro app itself is something like $15 and the map is an additional fee.

Once you pay for the map you can download it and cache it as much as youw ant for offline usage.

I’ve done it about a dozen or more times so I dont’ think there is any limit.

I just download them into “map packages”, one for every region I go.. This way I can delete a whole region or move it ot an SD card.

One key point.. you REALLY should use map packages becuase they’re much much much faster than storing everything in one big directory.  Map packages use a real embedded database where the default storage does not and it can get very slow.

But love Backcountry Navigator. I haven’t used anything else but BCN is pretty darn good and good enough to not warrant me to switch.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I use a Mac, but this gets high marks around here from Android users

http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

For basic coordinates, try https://findmesar.com/ as it supposedly embeds itself into your phone’s application cache for offline use.

I have a few iPhone apps (Spyglass, Theodolite, Pro Compass) that display coordinates and don’t have mapping as their primary function, so I imagine the Android world has similar.

-J

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

For offline maps I use Orux or go to Caltopo and use PDF Maps…

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pstur11

If your coming from paper maps and want something comparable to basic chart plotter GPS, then I’d recommend the free iOS app called Maplets. You download individual maps, as you would with a collection of paper maps, and your location appears on the map. Nothing more.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Thanks for the input everyone.  The more I think about this I have come to the conclusion I just want an app that will tell my what my UTM coordinates are.  That is all I need.  Turn on my phone get my UTM coordinates and that is it.  Decided I don’t need to download any maps.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

I found an app called GPS Location.  Bare bones app that displays the lat/long and UTM of your current position.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I’ve used Gaia on an iPhone, and never had any sort of charges for downloading maps.  There is a Pro version that has some sorts of charges, but you don’t need it just to use as a GPS.  One benefit for Gaia is that it’s behavior is well know and a lot of users have posted a lot of info on how to configure it for good battery life, etc.  I have never used BCN, so I cannot compare them.

You can get your location on an iPhone without an app (in lat/long only, IIRC) but I don’t know about Android.  If all you want is your grid (i.e. no mapping) then there’s an app called MilGPS that does that: it just displays your grid location in giant digits.  It’s simpler and faster than the big mapping apps, so I tended to use it for quick spot checks with my paper map.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It seems like a shame to not have a map.  You can have downloaded maps of the entire U.S.  To have that many paper maps would weigh a ton.  And see where on those maps where you are currently.

Just the coordinates would be good to tell SAR where to come an find you in an emergency, but that’s a small part of total functionality.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Not to pick nits, Jerry, but… you do have a map.  Your paper map.  Just look up your grid on it.

I used MilGPS for rare verification of position, but generally enjoy map-and-compass work, so it’s part of what I do for fun while hiking.  MilGPS worked fine for that, and takes up a lot less memory.  IIRC though they were planning on expanding it into something with more functionality, including maps, like Gaia.

Nowadays I have an InReach, so I’m using Earthmate by default.  Which isn’t bad, but also isn’t free (unless you count that it’s free with purchase of an InReach).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, I usually have a paper map, but I rarely look at it.  For each trip, I have to remember to get the appropriate maps for each trip.  Sometimes I just have a large scale paper map.

GPS has map of everywhere I’d ever go.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

When I originally posted I was thinking of Gia or BCN but decided to stick with just paper.  I think a simple app that will give me my UTM coordinates is all I need.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

Jeff,

No need to pay for Gaia, BCN, Locus Maps, etc.

Oruxmaps is open source, free, better than most the paid apps, and very well supported.  Use it and GPS status toolbox, to do simple stuff like get coordinates, (it also tells you margin of error), and if your feel like it, download topo maps from Caltopo, USGS, forest service, or openandromaps. And have a full function mapping GPS on your phone.  Battery drain is low and in there event you want to track something, measure distance, mark way points, etc you can.

Of course you can also print maps from Caltopo who will then correspond perfectly to the map on there screen.

Peace

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools