Topic

Looking for ultra thin titanium foil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for ultra thin titanium foil

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

I’m trying to source a very thin titanium foil… I’m wanting to making a folding windscreen that I can fold in half and store in my pot when not in use. I have purchased titanium from TiGoat in the past, but it is too thick to be bent back and forth constantly in the field. TiGoat’s is .005″ thick, or about .127mm. I’m thinking about half that would be perfect. Anybody have an idea where I may purchase something like that?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Why not just use aluminum foil?  Thin.  Light.  Cheap. My 2 cents.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

I’d prefer something more durable than aluminum foil. But you’re certainly right, it is cheap and light!

I ordered the above link, thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Embossing foil is what the MSR windscreens are made of. Pretty inexpensive and readily available. Fold unfold with ease

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

Where does one find embossing foil?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

embossing foil

This is usually 36 gauge 1000 series aluminum foil.  Basically, the oven foil that is used in disposable aluminum oven pans.  Grocery & party stores carry the stuff.  My 2 cents.

R
    Spectator

@autox

I used to use a screen made of that oven pan foil, but my cat food stove melted it.  I had 1/4″ spacing around a 10cm Imusa mug.  Standard hole punch stove design.  I was going for improved thermal transfer to the pot. If you just want to block the wind with a larger radius it should be ok.

You might want to take a look at the ti screens from https://suluk46.com/product/anuri-titanium-windscreen/

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Not sure that  thin (or otherwise) Ti would have been any  good for repeated folding.

Has anyone tried this ?

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I guess I’ll be the guinea pig. Lol</p>

R
    Spectator

@autox

See Suluk46’s sold out wind screen. It’s a closed cylinder.  Thin Ti can take a pretty small radius bend before permanent deformation.  He just sort of loosely folded/rolled these to fit in a pot.  Only deal breaker is if you want to fit a fuel canister in your pot.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

I’ve purchased a couple of ultra thin titanium windscreens.  Modified them to my needs and lost them in the wind.  They sail like feathers.  I had some Ti-Goat material and made one out of that.  A tad heavier but I haven’t lost it to the winds yet.

The ultra thin ones will “tear” with repeated folding. I just fit mine in my pot unrolled against the inside surface. If you have a low-wide pot this won’t work of course.  Maybe that’s why you want to fold the screen.

There are a number of sellers on Aliexpress for future reference. I suspect they are the same as the Amazon one:    Titanium Windscreen

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

Some time ago i bought a very thin ti windscreen from aliexpress. It looked very similar to the one linked by link.

That windscreen didnt work for me. Similar to what don A’s experience it was really bothersome to use b/c wind always used to deform it and blow it away. Mine also broke at the folds way sooner than i hoped.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

I had the same experience with the titanium foil. Not a game winner. Not as springy as TiGoat’s foil, especially once I put the fold in it…

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I used to use a screen made of that oven pan foil, but my cat food stove melted it….

I’ve had the same experience.  Fancy Feast cat food can stove with oven pan aluminum foil wind screens.  Melted a couple of them.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I’ve had the same experience.  Fancy Feast cat food can stove with oven pan aluminum foil wind screens.  Melted a couple of them.

The melting point of aluminum is 1221 F.  It is pretty clear than the problem is not so much the aluminum but the right inlet/outlet ventilation configuration.  I would suspect that those designs caused thermal feedback in your alcohol stove thereby leading to the meltdown.  If you made the same windscreen design out of titanium, it would probably still overheat your stove.  My 2 cents.

R
    Spectator

@autox

<thread drift>

Re. Fancy Feast, yeah, I suspected thermal run away.  But it took a couple outings before it happened and then it always happened. All the same set up.  I was surprised such a widely accepted design would do that. 10cm Imusa pot, ~3/8 gap for the wind screen, bunch of vent holes at the bottom.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Re. Fancy Feast, yeah, I suspected thermal run away.  But it took a couple outings before it happened and then it always happened. All the same set up.  I was surprised such a widely accepted design would do that. 10cm Imusa pot, ~3/8 gap for the wind screen, bunch of vent holes at the bottom.

That’s what happens when you don’t do system level testing.  My 2 cents.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools