Topic

Looking for advice for stoves for mugs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for advice for stoves for mugs

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I have the Mountain Laurel Designs 475 ml mug. What recomendations do you have for an alcohol stove. I used to have an Intense Angler mousse can rollover stove that worked great. Anything else out there that will work without shooting flames up the sides of the mug? Thanks in advance.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

A one piece stove with integrated stainless steel pot support.

Tha Fancee Feest:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php

or a Toaks titanium “Siphon” needs separate pot support.

https://www.toaksoutdoor.com/collections/stove/products/frm-1

TOAKS Stove Frame

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have the Venom Super Stove, too, that as use for my solo trips, and it does work great with a small diameter pot/mug.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Looks like a lot of heat would be going up the side of the pot. I seem to recall reading previously that a centre burner stove was better for narrow pots?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Trail designs classic Ti-Tri get the set up specifically for MLD 475 mug.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Not sure if the mld 475 mug and pot are same thing though??

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Take a look at the GOTO Stove with integrated pot support, has vertical jets. You’ll see it used with a small aluminum mug:

YouTube video

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

TD made a cone for my 475 a few months back. I haven’t got it working as efficiently as my Toaks 550/Zelph/TD come setup yet though.

:(

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I just remembered I have a Zelph Fancee Feest with a short stainless inner that is supposed to make it better for small pots. I can try that out with the MLD 475 and report back if the OP is interested. I prefer Esbit but I’m pretty sure I have some alcohol in the gear shed.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Yes matthew k. Please do. I’m in the process of trying to recreate the mini stove I had, but so far it’s not going too well.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

David, did your stove look like this:

SFP

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Dan Y, it looked similar to your discontinued cobalt stove, but had side jets. It had a full length inner rolled wall. It was 1 3/4″ inch diameter. It was 1 5/8″ tall once rolled over. It had 20 jets about 3/64″ inch diameter each. They were placed about 7/16″ below the top. The top was crimped to make a gap between the top of the stove and the mug similar to what you show in your photo. I purchased 6 cans of shaving cream in aluminum containers that are the diameter that I need to make a few, but on my first attempt, it split the can down the side when I pressed it to roll the inner wall. I’m using the bottom of one of the cans as the pressing mold like what I’ve seen done on youtube. Mine was made and sold by intenseangler. I tried to contact him, and as of now, he hasn’t responded.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Looks like the Gram Weenie, BatchStovez now makes them. $14

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/batchstovez-gram-weenie-pro-2/#options

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Good call

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools