Topic

Looking at the next UL Shelter… Advice!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking at the next UL Shelter… Advice!

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

Don the weights I just mentioned are for the Sil version and include 2.7oz worth of stakes. So 13oz+7.5 (CF inner)+2.7 Stakes = 23.2 Thanks for your help, here’s hoping you nab a Solo inner soon!

Thanks for the feedback Lester, I’d be interested in your advice vs the pro cons of each bug shelter though considering the listed weights of the Borah I would likely just opt for the Solo inner CF.

Also interested in your door mods. So did you omit the zipper entirely?

I think I would prefer no zipper and just some loops for my own lines. Other than that looks good as is.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Michael – I avoid using the zipper unless it’s really windy and I need to button things up tight, just to save wear and tear on the zipper. Plus, I prefer not having zippers to deal with in a shelter. In fact, my favorite functional benefit of the STS Nano Pyramid Mosquito Net over a bug bivy is no zipper for easier/faster exit and entry (plus the ability to sit up inside). If you select a well drained campsite with the STS Nano Mosquito Net (no bathtub floor) and avoid pitching your tarp on an ant hill (not fully enclosed), then this simple 3 ounce net works nearly perfectly under the Descutes.

Hoosier – you are correct about the Zpacks Tent Door Hook link at www.zpacks.com/accessories/door_hooks.shtml

Don – see the photo below. This setup has worked well on a dozen nights of use, one night in some windy,  gusty and variable direction conditions with minimal trees/rocks for shelter. But mostly both doors are tied completely open for ventilation. Long term I plan to sew some small D-rings to replace the red chord loops, but for now, the chord loops work just fine (they do have to be exactly the same length, though).

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Thanks Lester great detail.

So it seems I would have to go with the Silnylon version of this if I wanted something before next year some time. That being the case there are a few things I’d prefer to have on this unit and I’m wondering if anyone knows any custom manufacturers that can sew a copy of this shelter for me with the features I’d like? In particular:

• simple line loops vs straps
    • omit zipper in lieu of clip system like the Zpacks products
    • cuben or a 20d Silpoly

It appears the stock Deschutes has the mitten hooks and inner loops in the right spots already.

Ive asked Brandon at SMD and it is not possible for them to do these changes unfortunately.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nick Gatel’s blog write up on the  Six Moons Designs Deschutes CF Shelter .

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Michael I sent a PM.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Michael, it would not be hard to add linelocs using YMG’s technique. I’ve been meaning to try it but haven’t gotten around to it.

http://www.yamamountaingear.com/tie-outs/

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Good to know Matthew, there are no detail photos of how the current straps are attached so I wasn’t sure if I took the straps off if there would be just loops left behind like the YMG photos show. I’m not sure why SMD didn’t mention that (when I asked about removing them) if it were that simple…

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Lester

thanks for posting pics. It makes sense now.

Don

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

Did anyone ever pair the Deschutes with the MLD Solo Inner? I was hoping to find a photo or review out there. This is precisely the combo I envisioned, but this thread is the only place on the internet where I can find the combo discussed.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same question as me, they work great together but the inner requires its own stakes and there is lots of dead space to the rear.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools