Topic

LiteAF 35L Curve Backpack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable LiteAF 35L Curve Backpack Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The LiteAF 35L Curve Backpack (16 oz / 453 g, $255+*) is a frameless ultralight pack constructed partially of Dyneema Composite fabric. This minimalist pack features thin, s-shaped shoulder straps, a close-fitting, stable fit, and accessible water-bottle pockets. As this is a 35 L frameless pack, it requires a collection of gear with low volume.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I find it odd to test frameless packs.  Generally speaking, they all will carry the same if you are @ 15 lbs or less.

But the price of this pack gives me pause.  A big one.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Too much of a sack with straps for you David?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Shoulder strap design serves to lift pack weight off your shoulders…

What does that even mean?

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

What does that even mean?

I was wondering, too.  With no hip belt, all of the weight is on the shoulders.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just guessing here but with a running vest style harness it feels like the weight of the pack is attached to your torso rather than hanging on your shoulders. I realize this isn’t a vest harness but the comparison to a running style pack was made.

One question: Does chest strap = sternum strap? Breaking a buckle on a pack is a real bummer and makes me question the quality of the hardware used.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I think there is a place for frameless packs. My MLD Prophet/Exodus can carry 25 lbs comfortably with the hip belt it comes with – which is enough for most of the PCT/AT/CDT trails etc or any trail with a 5 or 6 day resupply. Ryan Jordan has done a test of frameless packs on their load carrying ability and not all frameless packs carry the same weight according to that analysis with a virtual frame.  Hip belts matter even in a frameless pack as do the quality of the shoulder belt.

One attractive thing about LiteAf pack was the fact that the back/bottom/front near bottom is made of 5oz DCF which is pretty good and not many manufacturers provide that for a frameless – MLD started doing this recently in their packs. I have been eyeing their packs for some time – except that it is expensive with a long lead time. Though they provide the fancy bottom, shoulder pockets and removable hip belt – which is attractive in a frameless pack.

Jim B
    BPL Member

@leftovereggs

I absolutely love my 35L curve.  I’ve had this thing for about a year and it’s my go to pack.  Although mine is custom print so the entire body of the pack is the 2.92oz dyneema. No 5 oz on mine. The shoulder straps are what really makes this pack comfortable. They are wide and thick with a perfect amount of give.  They do indeed wrap around the torso and snug the pack down nicely without giving me that “bear hug” feeling of a fast pack.  He makes padded removable hip belts for it now. I have a set, but haven’t used them yet loaded on a trip. No need really, but it is a nice option for folks who want them.  The fanny packs he makes use the same clips that are on the optional hip belts so I use the fanny pack and straps as the hip belt, although I let them a bit loose so the fanny isn’t too tight.  I can snug it up easily for down hills or scrambling up rocky trail.  The fanny pack straps have clips on both sides which is convenient.  Just unclip the fanny on one or both sides for easy removal leaving the straps connected to the pack.
    The giant lycra mesh pocket holds a ton of stuff and it’s surprisingly durable.  It’s been snagged and abraded quite a few times and it shows no signs of wear.  Solid choice of material there.  I ordered his full suspension 40 liter and can’t wait to get that on trail as well.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

“Darwin on the Trail” (well off for right now) released a pretty good YouTube video on packing a 35 L  for 3-4 days with stove, shelter, and 20°F quilt.

The latter (with sleep layer) required stuffing into a stuff sack, so imagine at that low volume, how the stuff sack gets wedged in there will matter for 3-season hiking.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d be curious to know the approximate depth and width of the pack.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

from their website – 34 inch height for 35L is a lot of pack…

Bottom circumference: 33”
    Top circumference: 38”
    Pack height when fully unrolled: 34”
    Back of pack: 11.5”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I give up. Where did you find that on their site?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Where did you find that on their site?

https://liteaf.com/ultralight-packs/35l-curve-custom-pack/

It looks narrow and tall in the pictures on their site.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

The dimensions are not here on the 35L fast pack – but it is there on the 35L custom option as Doug Coe has shown…..even I used to be frustrated as I thought I had seen it and couldn’t find it when I kept pulling up the fast track 35L:-)

Yep – it looks narrow and tall….though 11.5 is pretty normal – my MLD Prophet/Exodus is 12 inches wide and 30/35 inches tall and I cannot fill my MLD prophet pas the shoulder straps…

Art Rhizhiy Hiker
    BPL Member

@verysimple

2023 LiteAF Curve updates:

New taller side pockets (Ultra Grid)
    Adjustable shoulder strap pockets
    UltraStretch mesh comes standard
    UltraStretch Upper Side Pockets
    Easy to adjust webbing

YouTube video

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools