Topic

Lightest high CFM fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lightest high CFM fabric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

Hello,

I’m not up to speed with the most recent developments in fabrics. I’m looking for a very light high CFM (>35) fabric. Given that requirement I need to balance the weight to fabric-to-fabric abrasion resistance ratio.

Thanks,

Martin

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Probably Argon 67 or 90, but not sure what amount of abrasion resistance you need.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The following BPL thread has some good information about comparative breathability of LW fabrics:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/breathable-wind-shirt-fabric/#post-3491009

I can confirm that the 1 oz HyperD (uncalendered) from RSBTR is quite breathable compared to a couple other LW breathable fabrics. I made some wind pants from this material and they are way too breathable to be considered “wind” pants IMHO.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

My own recent experience with a very permeable fabric is that once you get over that 35CFM rating it probably isn’t actually worth wearing such a garment. Mind you the garment I was wearing had a CFM of about 115CFM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools