Topic

Is every UL backpacker rich? Challenge Accepted!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is every UL backpacker rich? Challenge Accepted!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I decided to start a different thread about a similar topic.  Why don’t we turn all of this creative energy into a solution.  Here is that challenge: can you develop a UL kit that cost less than $100?

Guidelines

A kit designed for the optimal season along the AT, JMT, PCT

Designed for at least 7 days

Single person, cooked meals

No used gear, all new (sale items ok)

Target weight ~10 to 15 pounds

If it can’t meet the $100 threshold, how low can you go?

Let’s see what people come up with!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Cool idea Jon. Hopefully you won’t get links to a similar thread from 8 years ago, because it is worth doing again.

Ps. Someone did suggest just a tazer on the trail ;)

Chad M
    BPL Member

@exhausted

This is an absolutely amazing idea. Look forward to reading these.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well optimal time along the JMT, PCT will have zero rain. Good opportunity for savings.

The taser is a sound concept.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Carry a taser to the next camp, Deploy taser (after they finish cooking, but before they eat), eat, sleep.

….Wake up and carry Taser to next camp.

We’ve been approaching thru hiking all wrong.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^ yup that was the plan.

sorry for the thread hijack..

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Will the Coscto $20 down throw work?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ask the folks on reddit UL …

half of those bums are poor college students that cant even afford their next pack of ramen …

amazingly enuff they all seem to be able to get out regardless

;)

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

^HEY I take offense to that! ;)

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think you have to go cheap if you want to hit the $100 mark. So I think the goal should be minimizing the cost of quality 5-10yr backpacking kit

For a sleeping bag a Kelly cosmic down 20 for $150 that you can likely get for $100 on clearance.  This is a decent bag that will be a good investment for everyone.

For a Pad you get to live with the $10 blue foamy until you save $60 for a klymit to be more comfortable.

for a tent a skyscape scout for $125 @ 2lbs again has good quality, protection and value

for a pack you get whatever for $100 on clearance from a reputable brand

So that’s $325 or so for the big 4

you make an Alchy stove and buy a grease pot.

use clothes from home and if rain isn’t a concern an emergency poncho if it is you can pick up a precip for $50-$60 on clearance.

So for $400 depending on how heavy the persons existing clothes are gets you a sub 15lb  reasonably high quality and reliable kit.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Jon, I’ve been comfortable with a Costco down throw at ~45° in a TT Notch wearing shorts and a sweatshirt. I don’t think I’d want to go much lower than that, particularly if the hiker was taller than me (5’6″).

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Taser idea is brilliant! In general, here is what I would do if < $100 were the goal:

Backpack- Quick search on Ali Express yields tons of options. A 2 lb. 40 liter pack can be had for less than $30. Alternative at Campmor is Outdoor Products in the $20-$50 range.

Tent – Outdoor Products backpacking poncho. No need for pack cover, use as shelter. $30 but probably cheaper or homemade options. Get some aluminum gutter nails at Home Depot for stakes.

Treking poles – Homemade with bamboo or something. I carved up a Christmas tree for my AT thru back in the day. $0

Alcohol stove – catfood can. Hardware cloth for support. Drink bottle for fuel. $2

Cooking Pot – Foster’s Beer can. Find or empty one. $3

Quilt – Costco down throw. $20

Sleeping Pad- myog using reflectix.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

There is a sticky on r/ultralight with a bunch of options to put together an ultracheap ultralight gear list.

I think you could probably put a pretty respectable list together for $5-600 if you are willing to shop sales/used. And for $1,000 you could probably get a really good kit.

If you limit the hiking to summer areas where bear cans aren’t required, then your cost of entry is pretty low and you could use clothes you likely already have.

When I go backpacking for a weekend, I can have anything I’d need/want to fish/hike/be protected stay warm and dry probably from 15 degrees up for 12ish lbs. My non-ultralight hiking buddies probably have 10 more lbs of gear than me but aren’t going to cope with as wide of a variety of circumstances as I could.

If you are comfortable going out less than fully prepared and keeping trips shorter at first, you could probably get a decent starter summer kit for $300ish. 2014 Fushion 50 for $100, costco down blanket for $20, tarp $100ish? I don’t really know, water filter $20, thermarest $20, cookgear $30, ebay pancho $10, costco down jacket $20. Something like that would generally work for summer at just around $300 and around 8-9 lbs. Giving you about 5 lbs to play around with and still have a pretty good baseweight. Plus if trip is short food and water would keep you between 20-25 lbs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools