Topic

I need a lightweight merino hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a lightweight merino hoody

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Air is nice. Haven’t taking it off since Xmas. Agree with above observations though. Don’t count out the idea of a thermal weight capilene hoodie and a Montbell light synth vest. This is a go to option at a similar wieght to most midlayers and gives you nice options. The thermal weight is just branded wrong as a thermal layer but it can serve as both a hoodie or a base very nicely. I’ve worn that thing at 17f to 80f and been very pleased because it wicks better then any of the other grid stops I’ve come across and gives me a good temp control. The issue with alpha (I have three garments with alpha direct) is that there’s always something in the way so you don’t destroy the alpha (rab avoids this but that one has the least loft left now of my three alphas. Kora hits a good middle ground (mesh inner protects the alpha from your back). Still the cap thermal weight wicks better in my opinion.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I use the heck out of my thermal weight (Cap 4, other names?) hoody a bunch in the “winter”- it’s a great base layer in cool to cold conditions; it’s not a great mid-layer though imo- too tight fitting to effectively fit over a base layer and much too warm (again imo) as a base layer in 50+ degree weather

I brought it one year on the Bob Open and just didn’t work for me; if it had been March (or December,  January, February) vs May, it would have worked superbly

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

I think Duckworth have the snorkel hoodie in XL (chest 45-47) and XXL (chest 48-50).

They just started a moving sale, so maybe they just don’t have all colors in stock at the moment.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah for that kind of $ I’m going to be picky on color- only blue available :)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I agree for that kind of money get the color you want.  Personally though, I like the blue.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

lots of stuff on sale, didn’t look like the Snorkel though

Michael V
    Spectator

@milosh_v

As I am a Hunter I have gear from a lot of Companies and I like the Merino from KUIU for its lightweight and wicking ability.  First lite is Pretty good. and Icebreaker would be my third choice. Although, The prices are quite high for most of these brands. all but KUIU can be found on amazon.  and some used or non-returnable new kuiu can be had for decent price on E-bay.

All have hoodies and other merino items that should fit the bill.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not seeing any lightweight merino hoodies on Kuiu’s site

First Lite’s Wick hoody could work, still would prefer lighter

Nothing on Icebreakers site

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mike, I PMed you

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thought I would update this thread

purchased a Duckworth Vapor hoodie; appear the fabric is a little heavier than my Patagonia Merino 1 and lighter than my Ibex hoodie

the Merino crew weighs 4.7 oz, but has no hood or zipper; the Vapor Hoody weighs 7.3 oz (w/ hood and zipper), the Indie weighs 10.3 oz

haven’t used it yet, so comment on performance, but the fit/finish is nice and I particularly like the fitted hood

I wouldn’t mind finding an even lighter one, but not sure if one even exists

McMick
    BPL Member

@mcmick

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I ended up selling the Duckworth- construction was nice, was just looking for a lighter base layer.  I’ll continue to run my Outdoor Research Echo’s until I can find a very light merino blend.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools