Topic

I need a lightweight merino hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a lightweight merino hoody

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Ryan- question if I may?

I’m looking at an option for a base layer on the Bob Marshall Open- I’m pretty certain the Patagonia piece will work just fine with the cooler, damp conditions we can have, but what about 70’s and full sun?  The weather in May back there is about as unpredictable as it comes.

Thanks

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

I have been impressed by Duckworth’s Vapor Wool. I wear it when its warmer than 70f. I don’t think my day and weekend excursions represent much of a stress test though.

The fabric resists my body odor and also airs out well; 100% polyester athletic style clothing definitely does not for me. Washing the vapor wool (submerging it) in running water for about 30 seconds and hanging to dry in the sun, completely cleans it even after being drenched in sweat (front, back, pits, completely drenched) with light dirt on the cuffs and elbows. In ideal conditions my Henley completely dried and became warm in under 60 min and even gained a nice soft hand feel from the wind/sun like a pure natural fiber fabric. Its never caught on branches or bushes while off trail or clearing tall grass with a machete but those weren’t extended nor repeated experiences and I don’t think I’ve really tested its durability.

My men’s medium Duckworth Vapor Wool Henley weighs 160g.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that’s nice and light :) sounds like a great piece

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Mike did you decide to try the Duckworth Snorkel Hoody?  If so, I would love to hear your impressions of it.  I had never heard of the company but now have it on my radar as a potential piece for summer backpacking in the Rockies.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Brad- I’m leaning towards the Voormi, but haven’t ruled out the Snorkel hoody yet- decisions, decisions :)

Mike

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Are you looking at the Voormi River Run Hoody or their Running Hoody?    I’m not sure how I feel about the color of the running hoody (though I like my OR Echo shirts in that color) but the more fitted hood is appealing to me over the River Run.   I think the fabric is the same on both.  No matter what you decide please let us know your initial impressions for sizing etc and your thoughts after some use.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah I’m not overly thrilled about the neon green; I emailed them to see if they would offer the Running one in other colors- not any time soon was the word.  I do like the fitted hood, hence my inquiry- the only real gripe I see on the River Run is the loose hood.  My oldest daughter has a sewing machine (and knows how to run it :)), so if it’s too bothersome might see what she can do.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

One last question for those who have the Voormi or Duckworth Snorkel Hoody – Do they hold up under pack straps, etc?  I assume so, my Patagonia Wool 1 which is a 120g/oz with a 65/35 wool/poly blend has done OK, but 100g seems really thin (which is both a good and bad thing).

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

Mike,

The patagonia breathes so well that it will probably handle those conditions ok. Downside is the lack of zip so you end up with a bit of a scarf effect which can make it warmer on those warm days. If you’re wearing it as your only top layer with shorts or thin pants I think 70* should be fine. I don’t think I’ve had it out on days that warm other than really variable weather days (50* cloudy then 70 and sun then back to clouds and wind…) so hard for me to say for certain.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks for replying Ryan; if I ever find one on a good sale- might have to spring for one; definitely a very unique piece :)

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Mike,  Speaking of Patagonia Capilene Air; I don’t know if you saw Will’s most recent review of the stuff. He is very positive.

http://ultralightinsights.blogspot.com/search/label/Gear%20Reviews

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I had not, but have now- thanks!

I think it (Cap Air) would definitely have a role for me, but I think for the Bob Open (with the potential for warm-ish weather, potential for cold too! :)) a thinner merino blend might work better

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Obviously not merino but just saw this in Patagonia’s new lineup:

Men’s Capilene Cool Daily Hoody

Might be worth a look for the price (relative to merino anyway).

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that looks pretty nice :)  definitely different than their lightweight Capilene stuff (based on the weight)

I ended going with a Duckworth Snorkel Hoody- if the River Run had a better hood, I would’ve gone with it- neon green in the Runner was a non-starter.  I did email them to see if they would offer the runner in different colors, not anytime soon.

I have hedged my bet with a OR Echo Hoody- I have a couple of their Echo tops (no hoodies though) and they (along with the Capilene Lightweights) are easily the best syn base layers I’ve used.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Hey, Mike:  If you are expanding your search for hoodies you might want to consider a Sitka Core Lightweight. Closeouts (2018 stock) are available on the giant auction site for less that half price. I just picked one up – it weighs 197g in size Large which is moderately roomy. It’s a very nice piece of gear. I just wish they made it in some normal colors; all that’s available right now is camo.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eric- I have one of them- great piece :)  It looks almost identical to OR’s Echo and Patagonia’s LW Capilene- utilizes a very fine (micro if you will) grid- works just as well AND comes with a hood!

I’m hoping they (Sitka) make their new lightweight merino’s with a hoody for next season.

Dave C is wearing one too in this pic :)

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Ha – I hadn’t realized you were along on that adventure!

That photo begs for a caption contest. :-)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

something along the lines of “holy $hit, we have a lot of work to do!” :)

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Mike,

I know you just picked up a Duckworth hoody, but I was on the Rab website today and noticed they had the 120 weight hoodies…just thought you might want to know.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

While they list them on the Rab site, both colors and all sizes are ‘out of stock.’

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yup- still on their site; my email was answered as they were discontinued

it’s possible whoever answered my email from Rab is wrong?????????

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Just noticed the out of stock sizes, which is weird because it says “New” on the front of the product page.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I believe they (120) were released one year ago; if the email is correct- one year and only one year; I believe the 160 will continue

this was from Rab US; maybe Rab headquarters has different ideas??????

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well the good news is the Duckworth Snorkel is very well constructed, feel good to the hand- weight is 6.8 oz size Large- not bad considering it has a hood and a decent length zipper; the hood is perfect- balaclava style (think Patagonia Thermal weight or R1)

the bad- I’m almost always a size Large, if I leaned anyway it would be towards Medium vs XL; this shirt is simply too tight- superhero tight :)  unfortunately they don’t have an XL. so will be returning it

I’ll probably grab another when I find another good deal

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks for the update Mike!  I am like you often between a Medium and a Large depending on the brand and how much I have been running at the time.  No matter what though,  I do not like Superhero tight .

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools