Topic

I need a lightweight merino hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a lightweight merino hoody

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Rab’s 120 weight hoody sounded perfect (sans the high price), but is now discontinued- was it one year- wtf?

I don’t need a mid-weight merino hoody, have one- needs to be lightweight- 120-ish g/m; prefer a blend so it last it a little bit- a few crews and zips in that weight range, really want a hoody

remember the old bpl one from eons ago :)

TIA

Mike

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I don’t know anything about their wool blend hoodies but Voormi makes a couple of merino wool blend hoodies that say they are

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks Anna for the lead- will check them out :)

I have an older Ibex Indie that serves me well for a mid-weight

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I hope you find something that works,I still have an unworn BPL hoodie(not to rub it in)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I hope you find something that works,I still have an unworn BPL hoodie(not to rub it in)

nice :)

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

The river run hoodie that link mentioned is awesome for summer in the mountains.  It is very thin and not “midweight” ……it is 60% wool and 40% polyester.  Not easily stinky……dries faster than all wool, but obviously not as fast as my echo hoody.  https://voormi.com/collections/mens/products/mens-river-shirt

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks- that’s sounds what I”m looking for

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Mike,

I’ll throw in a vote for the River Run Hoodie. Got mine this summer and wore it constantly – dries incredibly fast, great hood (little loose – great with a hat), and awesome in hot weather. Impressed with durability as well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks- sizing on the River Run?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I may have to pick one up as well.  I was hoping Rab would come out with a lighter color on the 120g hoody, but this may be the best alternative.  It doesn’t have a quarter zip for venting and the hood looks a little lose, and it’s not cheap, but the colors look good.

I was thinking kuiu or one of the hunting companies had one as well (in poor colors) but now I can’t find it.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that was my thought too :(

Sitka came out with a pretty nice merino top last season- very lightweight and a blend, but no hood; I wrote them about a hood- we’ll see (their lightweight syn base layer is available with a hood)

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Another thumbs up for the River Run Hoodie.  I also have their Desert Hoodie (part cotton), and I like it even better, but it’s currently sold out.

My RR Hoodie ran a little big.  I normally wear an XXL but would’ve been better off with an XL.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Locale: Eastern OH

“I was thinking kuiu or one of the hunting companies had one as well (in poor colors) but now I can’t find it.”

You may be thinking of the First Lite Wick Hoody.

https://www.firstlite.com/m-s-aerowool-wick-ultralight-150-hoody.html

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Agree with Five Star – I usually wear a medium but wear a small River Run Hoodie.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that firstlite doesn’t look too bad- a little heavier than I was wanting; that’s a first I have to say- 125 in certain areas, 150 elsewhere- interesting

I usually wear a Large, sounds like a Medium in the River Run :)

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I’ve backpacked with the Ultra Merino 125 Long Sleeve crew for 4 years now and it is still one of my or my favorite backpacking shirt.  Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s ever been offered as  a hoodie.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-shirts/ultra-merino-125-ls-crew-t/20015.html?dwvar_20015_color=Verde-2.0&cgid=shirts

I still use it as my clean “sleep shirt” even when I take my River Run Hoodie for hiking in during the day time.  This is because I find the nuyarn of the kuiu shirt to be a bit softer and more comfortable than the RR, which is especially important to me at night.  The main reason why I now often bring the RR shirt as my primary hiking shirt during the day is the hood……it is so convenient to just instantly pull up the hood for more sun protection, more warmth, or more insect protection when it is needed.  I spray it with permethrin and in all but the worst bug conditions…..I find that a thin wool shirt with permethrin and picardin provides very satisfactory insect protection (never been bit with this combo).  I will say that the RR hoodie with less wool will start to get some odor for me after around 4 days……where I can go with the kuiu shirt for over one week (wore it up to 11 days backpacking) with little to no smell except a wet wool smell if it gets very wet. However, the smell and feel of polyester layers after 1-2 days if I don’t wash it.  If I don’t wash polyester, I start to get heat rashes etc. after 1-2 days which is why I backpack almost exclusively with wool tops.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that appears similar to Sitka’s offering (118 weight w/ a small % of syn)

I don’t see the % blend on the RR hoodie on the site, is it listed anywhere?

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

This site says it is 60/40…..seen it listed that way at stores like REI when they used to sell it.  What is the Sitka hoodie called and do you have  a link?

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

I’ve been happy with my RR hoodie as well. Picked it up from Campsaver when they had 20% off coupon. Weight and fit are great; only change I wish for is a 1/4 zip option.

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

Has anyone tried the Capilene Air Hoody? Maybe less wool than you’re specifically looking for.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well it is made in Montana :)

I like the looks of the snorkel hoody, but a little concerned it’s more syn than wool- but that might be OK too (drying)

no weight listed, I’ll shoot them an email

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

“Has anyone tried the Capilene Air Hoody? Maybe less wool than you’re specifically looking for.”

I’ve looked at, the weight looks great, the price is steep and it’s an “exclusive” piece only carried by Patagonia, so not a lot of chance of a sale

I do wonder with the fabric so fluffed up if it might be too warm outside of cool to cold weather????

It’s definitely an interesting piece, I’d love to try one out- free from Patagonia :)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Duckworth Snorkel Hoody looks nice. I’ve never heard of them before.   It even comes in decent colors.   Keep us posted on what you find out?

Has anyone used one of these before?

I was hoping for the opposite blend of wool/synthetic.

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

“Has anyone tried the Capilene Air Hoody? Maybe less wool than you’re specifically looking for.”

I have used this hoody for about two years (I own the Merino Air but have been told the name change is more for branding and that the hoodies are identical). I love it. It’s very light and packable and the textured surface adds warmth, but I also find it more breathable than more traditionally woven wool (icebreaker 150, 200, ibex 200, etc) so it’s really versatile. I thought the textured surface would catch and pull and pill so be less durable, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. It definitely catches more on velcro and thorns, but the durability has been great.

Pros: feels very light, super breathable, warm, really packable. Cons: I personally think it’s a little ugly, textured surface catches more on thorns and velcro, minimal venting options

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools