Topic

Hiking Underwear & Shorts (Guides’ Notes)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hiking Underwear & Shorts (Guides’ Notes)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Hiking Underwear & Shorts (Guides’ Notes)

Underwear acts as a moisture (sweat) transfer layer to keep you reasonably dry “down there”. This guide highlights some important considerations about materials, design, fit, weight, and performance criteria when selecting a pair of hiking underwear (or shorts).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am a big fan of the Ex Officio Give N Go boxer briefs mentioned in the article.  I have found them much less stinky after a week or two in the backcountry than other boxer briefs I have tried probably due to them being nylon rather than polyester.  In fact  I like them so much that I have bought enough pairs to pretty much wear them all the time and not just on the trail.  I still have and use the original 2 pairs bought in 2011, though the elastic is starting to look sad.

I have contemplated wearing running shorts (like Patagonia baggies, etc) as underwear on some trips so I would have the option of shorts if I wanted it, but never have gotten the nerve to do so.  I tend to stick with things that I have found work well for me.

The OR Echo Boxer Briefs look like they have potential as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You need some women.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think this article should be renamed “Men’s Hiking Underwear and Shorts”

I’m surprised that people can wear synthetic underwear for extended periods of time. A while back I developed some very serious crotch funk, to the point where I considered seeing a doctor, because of wearing the same synthetic underwear for an extended period of time (and washing it daily). As a rule I now avoid wearing synthetic next to skin down there. I like hiking in polyester short tights, but I wear long inseam 200 weight wool underwear under them. Even then I have to be really good about washing the short tights every night, airing them out well, and laying in them in the sun whenever possible or else the shorts can get totally rancid.

I have also found cotton underwear to be very comfortable for hiking in dry weather.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

I think this article should be renamed “Men’s Hiking Underwear and Shorts”

Good call @justin_baker. Changed.

I always thought a merino wool mesh-lined version of a cordura/nylon/spandex short tight would be the ideal trekking underlayer. Interesting that you are wearing a 2-layer system to mimic this. I’ll have to try it.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Briefs are made with more material than boxers, so are lighter.

LOL.

Pretty sound logic there…

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Good catch Ivo. Fixed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Title still needs work in the men’s only dept.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

Good stuff. I have used merino underwear for three weeks, day and night continously without the stink bothering me. I am hiking solo though :-) And it is certainly true that merino boxers wear fast, some brands faster than others. Icebreaker has running shorts in merino with a merino liner that have been a favorite for some years.

However, synthetic boxer do stink considerably faster. Since I hike mostly in a damp climate where you cannot rely on the sun drying stuff that you launder, even thin synthetics.

I have now migrated away from both these varieties. Which is not to say that I have reached the final solution. The last couple of years I have used ligth synthetic running shorts with synthetic liners. These work as underwear, shorts and swimming trunks when needed. If they are laundered or wet I go commando. They can also dry faster if worn outside my long hiking pants, while hiking or in camp.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

I don’t have the experience on long distance hikes but I do spend all day working in the hot sweaty east coast.  I find cotton underwear gets wet, stays wet and after a full day I have serious raw chaffing.

The best under wear I’ve found is the addidas boxer brief at Costco, they are almost see through and dry very fast.  The other preferred option is the C9 athletic shorts at costco, they have the build in liner and work great.  Even in our super humid weather they dry pretty fast.

The best part is they are pretty darn affordable.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ultrathin synthetics dry faster than merino under wet COLD conditions (no sun) … where you can only rely on body heat to dry it out

in cold wet conditions merino aint the most fun once it totally saturated (its fine damp but not wet) … its easy enough to test, simply get that merino undies soaked and walk outside at night

the nice thing about ultrathin undies is that they are exceptionally easy to wash every day and then wring out …. hang dry over night (in wet conditions they wont totally dry out), and wear dry the next day … of course the ultrathin synth (dead bird phase SL and such) arent much more durable than merino

the problem and nemesis of most underwear in cold wet conditions is the elastic waist band …

;)

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Will we be seeing a Female’s Guides Choice companion article?

_Stoffle_
    Spectator

@mrfecteau

I’m surprised no one mentioned Uniqlo Airism boxer brief. I own multiple pairs and they are amazing. The weigh less than any other option mentioned, cost about a quarter of the price of the cheapest pair mentioned, and lord are they comfortable. I’ve hiked considerable miles with Ex Officio Give n Go and loved those but then I tried a pair of the Airism boxer briefs last year and will be taking two pairs on my Te Araroa trip in two years.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will just say that nylon, even untreated nylon, is definitely better than most polyester based underwear–though polygiene treated polyester stuff is ok.

It’s too bad that they don’t make a super wicking, polygiene treated nylon underwear.

Heck, i would settle for a majority nylon and minority tencel, linen, wool, or alpaca blend.  Ime, these combos have decent to good odor protection, while drying faster than the made out of 100% latter absorbent materials.

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Since I’m quote challenged, I’ll just say amen to Danny’s post.  I have found what works for me, but I would be interested in a companion piece that highlighted some women’s choices.  I have not found any wool, I admit to not having looked hard on the ‘net, though.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Smartwool, Icebreaker, Minus 33, io merino, Odlo  to name a few make women’s underwear containing wool

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Thanks.  They don’t seem to sell them in any stores in my area, pity.  I hate buying things like that, un-tried on, but seems as if that’s the only way.

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

+1 to Uniqlo Airism, on sale now for $8

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/airism.html

(also available for women, but seem to be sold out at the moment)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Aimee wher do you live?

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Spokane– the biggest small town you’ll ever live in.  I work at REI, we don’t carry the style I backpack in, in wool.  In fact, we only carry one style at all, it’s a clearance item. Mildly irritating, but then, I’m used to the difference in selection array for male vs female.  (I do make my views known to our regional director as much as possible, heh)

There are one or two other outdoor stores (Mountain Gear, for one, Cabelas another,  which is more Knife and Gun club but still has outdoor clothing) but I have never found them there.  I’m used to ordering online, just hadn’t looked too far into it yet.  It’s next on my list.  :)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Honestly I (and a number of women I know and several on BPL) wear men’s boxer briefs and I also go commando a lot but it’s not for everyone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Honestly I (and a number of women I know and several on BPL) wear men’s boxer briefs and I also go commando a lot but it’s not for everyone.”

Heck, my spouse, on the CT, even sometimes wore a pair of nylon/spandex men’s Champion boxer briefs as shorts : 0.  Pretty light and breathable pair of “shorts”.  Pretty nice too in that they are both nylon and permanently super wicking (hard to find).

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

I am rather new here, so I’m not sure what level of information is appropriate.  But: as was mentioned earlier, I dislike commando, because there isn’t an extra layer to wick moisture away, and I have found in running, without an additional layer, the stink is much worse in synthetics.  As for wearing briefs to actually hike in…well, I absolutely cannot.  I find there is too much movement, especially if you are stepping over deadfall.  There are some fabulous synthetic (and now I see at least Smartwool makes one) thongs out there that imho, are so much more comfortable to hike in.  To each his- erm, her,  own.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Aimee,

A percentage of people here, including myself, have noticed that there is a significant difference between nylon and polyester as regards stink (nylon being less so), and ease and efficiency of getting out what stink does accrue (nylon wins again).

It seems to be somehow related to the property of moisture regain (how much moisture a material absorbs into it’s material by weight percentage), because the synthetics with lowest moisture regain–polyester and especially polypropylene–stink the most.  If you think polyester is bad, polypropylene is on a whole other level.  Polypropylene absorbs practically no moisture into it’s actual material, and stinks to high heaven and quickly for many.  Polyester absorbs just a little bit, and is a little better than polypropylene in the stink area.

Nylon on the other hand, has about half the moisture regain of cotton (fairly absorbent), so it’s high for a synthetic, but still dries noticeably faster than natural or semi-natural/semi synthetic fabrics (tencel, rayon, modal, etc) that are absorbent.  Correspondingly, it has significantly less odor build up and retention than polyester and especially polypropylene.

But i’ve found that a majority of nylon with some absorbent material (like tencel), works really well in that department, and if thin enough, still dries pretty fast.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

.Here is what you need PETALs Panties :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools