Topic

Hiking Routes in Iceland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hiking Routes in Iceland

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Locale: New England

Hi Y’all,
    I’ve just been to Iceland with my wife, driving around and soaking it up on an epic road trip.
    It’s simply stunning. And I want to come back and hike the place.
    Could anyone recommend good Iceland hiking resources?
    I’m also looking for suggestions on a 5-7 day wilderness route.
    Thanks everyone!
    Tim

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Check out Hornstrandir in the West Fjords.  Bring a GPS!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Manfred posted lots of descriptions and photos of he and his daughter’s trip across Iceland, starting at Dyrhólaey, the southernmost point of Iceland, and finishing at Hraunhafnartangi, the northernmost point.  He did the whole thing while Hannah did the southern half (then caught a bus back to Reykjavík).  So either half is also an option if you don’t want to move as fast as Manfred does.

(The trip report itself is several posts down, due to his first posting getting erased.)

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/traversing-iceland-a-father-daughter-adventure/

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Do you have the Cicirone book? Walking and Trekking in Iceland by Paddy Dillon.

He lays out lots and lots of options.

I’m doing the classic Laugavegur & Fimmvorduhals this summer, and his route description seems useful. I’m taking it leisurely, conservative-mileage days and staying in the huts, so that’s a 6-day hike (which I prolly could do in 3). Though it might be 4 if the weather is crummy when I wake up in Thorsmork– there are some sketch bits on the extension to Skogar.

But, from the book you can see this super-popular, well-known route is just one of many, many options to choose from. Like if you don’t want to hike with 40 of your new best friends.

So I may have to go back for a second trip.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

The Paddy book is excellent and worth the cash. And, I found the Langavedur (spelling?) route totally worth it despite the hordes. Staying in huts was worth it too, weather could be really crappy. (cold rain/wind).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools