Topic

Hiking Pants state of the market in 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking Pants state of the market in 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’m 5’10” and 155 pounds and usually wear a 32 waist, but these fit me great. No information on the inseam, but mine are a bit on the short side. I am guessing 30-31. I like my pants a touch shorter than normal because I go barefoot an awful lot and hate my pants dragging on the ground.

Wow, you just described my build and preferences to a T. I prefer a pant leg no longer than 31″, so my “go to” pants have been Prana Stretch Zion’s in “short” length. But like all things sewn in China/Vietnam, sizes vary greatly between items marked the same size. It’s a buyer beware universe out there with a lot of brands, including Patagonia.

I only hike in pants in the late fall/early spring. I do have a Ferrosi jacket, so will have to look at these pants. I will say however, I far and away prefer a sewn-in belt like on the stretch Zion.

Thanks for the head’s up…

Nick Grba
    BPL Member

@okmtbr

Locale: Flatlandia

I’m loving my Eddie Bauer Horizon Guide pants for cool weather hiking & casual wear (I’ve got 4 pairs). Soft, stretchy, lightweight softshell fabric with a slim fit. The 36 x 36 fits my 6′ 5″ 215 lb. frame perfectly. Their Guide Pro pants use the same material, but in a tighter, more technical fit. You can usually find these on sale every couple months.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-horizon-guide-five-pocket-pants—straight-fit/10307903?showProducts=&color=485&sizetype=&size=

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-horizon-guide-chino-pants—slim-fit/10307991?showProducts=&color=485&sizetype=&size=

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-guide-pro-pants/12951063?showProducts=&color=557&sizetype=&size=

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The Eddie Bauer pants are my everyday pants, exceptionally comfortable as Nick says. I have an Eddie Bauer outlet store nearby, the pants are called something else there, but are the same pants, and are pretty much always at the ‘sale’ price.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Indeed, a lot of the Eddie Bauer Ascent stuff is quite good and underrated.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

Take a look at the REI Sahara Roll-Up pants.

The roll up with buttons feature is convenient. No fiddling with zippers. No struggling to pull the lower pants legs over your shoes. Rolled up, they are more like knickers than shorts. So not as cool.

I like that the butt pockets have a simple, but effective, flap.

The partial belt works and is lighter than a standard belt.

The snap button on mine needed some manipulation to work correctly. Looks like they have changed to design to a standard button/button hole style.

I cut out the hidden passport pocket. It was awkward.

My size 32 waist x 32 length weigh 10.0 ounces. Compare that with a pant and belt combo.

https://www.rei.com/product/131002/rei-co-op-sahara-roll-up-pants-mens

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

MontaneTerras.  I’m still on my first pair after 10 years of some pretty fun wandering around up in the Sierra.  They’re lightweight, very breathable, quick drying, zippered side vents and pockets, lightweight Cordura reinforced at the knees, calves, and butt, elastic waistband with belt(removable), AND very durable.  I’ve got an extra pair in the closet that will see me to the end of my hiking days.

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/clothing-c25/pants-c7/terra-pants-p401

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Tom, how is the waist sizing on the Terras?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Tomorrow I’m ordering a pair of Duluth Trading “Dry on the Fly” nylon cargo pants. With 89%nylon and 11% Spandex, plus a generous crotch gusset, they are good for scrambling here among the boulders of the Mojave Desert as well as protecting from sharp desert brush like creosote. They also have double knees.

If you prefer these pants with low profile zippered cargo pockets DT’s “Flexpedition” nylon pants are a good bet.

I’ve had two other pair of DT nylon pants, one of them fleece lined, and they have held up very well and been very comfortable.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The Terras are my winter hiking pant. I picked up a pair after Tom rated them highly, and agree that they’re comfortable, durable pants. I prefer the Ex Officio pants I mentioned earlier for 3 season, but switch to the Terras when it starts getting cold.

“Tom, how is the waist sizing on the Terras?”

From the two pair I have, I’d say they run a bit slim in the waist. I have around a 32 waist (haven’t measured it lately, but I weigh around 157 lbs, so 32 should be about right) and the larges fit me better than the mediums (which surprised me). The larges are a tad loose, but the mediums I bought are simply too tight, uncomfortably so. I can wear them, but prefer the larges.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

@set7-2

Jarred – I don’t find them too hot or restrictive at all. Great pants.

I usually wear pants if a lot of sun, bugs, or bushwhacking are expected, and they are great for all of those things. They are incredibly durable and quick to dry. They have an elastic waist with an inner drawcord, and elastic cuffs at the ankle. Very minimal all around, no fly, no cargo pockets, 100% nylon…

Personally, they just fit me really well. I imagine this cut/style either fits you or it doesn’t.

Wesley Stilley
    Spectator

@genes

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Where does a person order the Montane Terras since there isn’t a store in my area? And, has anybody tried the Kuhl klash pants? Thanks

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

“Where does a person order the Montane Terras since there isn’t a store in my area?”

From here, possibly. The 20% VAT will be removed from the price when you put the USA as the shipping address.

I don’t own a pair and it’s been a few years since I tried a pair on but the leg length used to be a little short.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Aaarrrggghhh! William,   20% VAT (Value Added Tax)!! My Lord, how do Brits stand those taxes? A VAT tax is just a tax passed down from manufacturer to distributor to retail store and finally to the poor customer who pays the TOTAL of these taxes.

While I am a Democrat for sure I will fight tooth and nail any attempt to impose a US VAT.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

CampSaver has a good selection of the Montane Terra Pants.

I normally wear a 34 X 32 in about any brand and the Large/Tall fit really well. They are great for the Fall through Spring in Western Nebraska with wind, rain,blizzards and very low temps!

Wesley Stilley
    Spectator

@genes

Locale: Pacific Northwest

In the Montane Terra pants, could anyone please tell me what a 36”x32” length would equate to? I hate returning items that I guessed on the size and was wrong. Thanks so much

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

What’s the matter, Ian? Isn’t your tutu providing enough sun protection?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dianne,

I love the tutu but the cat calling I receive on the trail is a bit much, if not a violation of LNT.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Wesley,

Check the Size Guide on the Montane link above. The sizes are spot-on as the 34 waist on the Large is a perfect 34 fit and the Long length is the 33.75 on the chart. Good quality stuff!

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

@matthewkphx

“Tom, how is the waist sizing on the Terras?”

Doug covered it pretty well.  I’d only add that much depends on body type.  I’m a 31″ waist, and the medium fits fine with the elastic waist band.  I found inseam length to be a bigger problem for me. For years, Montane only offered one inseam length with each waist size and for the medium it was 32″.  Way too long for me at 30″, so I had to get them modified.  It was complicated enough with the ankle zippers that I ended up taking them to Rainy City.  Now they offer a short option, but it is 29 3/4″.  Why they chopped an extra 1/4″ off the length is a mystery, but it is what it is.  My old Terras are nearing the end of their useful life, so I may soon find out if 29 3/4″ works.  I hope so…..

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Ian,

I’ve met the photographer who runs this site.  All for a good cause.  He started wearing the tutu and photographing himself in it and took the pictures to the hospital to cheer up his wife who was battling cancer.

The Tutu Project

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

My go to pant is the Columbia Silver Ridge, made in zip off and regular. Cheap and will tear with a fall on rocks but about the lightest zip off I have found.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Brad,

That’s a touching story.   The pictures are amusing, but sad when considering the backstory

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Another thanks for all of the suggestions.

I’m ordering a few from this thread, and started with the Patagonia RPS Rock pants.

Initial impressions off the rack is that they are very comfortable.   The only quirk is that they don’t have belt loops.   Since I need to wear a belt at work, that precludes them from EDC front country use for me, but they seem more than fine for hiking.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-rps-rock-climbing-pants/83071.html

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hi Ian

if you’re reading down this far you must really like pants! Me too, and hats

FWIW when its a little colder or I know bushwhacking is involved I wear Marmot Arch Rock pants . These, however, have been around a while. They are cut Slimmer if you don’t like baggy MC Hammer pants Lol. Woven nylon, don’t get too clammy, Mine weigh less than 10 oz

when it’s warmer I wear my regular running shorts or swim shorts BUT I bring along a pair of OR Sunlegs if I’ll be hiking in a sunny overexposed section. They are basically UPF sleeves for your legs. It might not be a popular fashion choice but I don’t care, they actually make my legs feel cooler in the sun than bare legs and they weigh less than 5 oz. they fit in my hip belt pocket and have zippers at ankle so easy to don and doff… with either pant setup I also bring a pair of Copperfield wind pants by Enlightened Equipment, they weigh 1.4 oz and work like a charm to stave off the wind and add a bit of warmth… that’s what I do! Good luck finding a pair that work for you this upcoming season!

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

The RPS pants look great! And the details are surprisingly similar to the Marmot arch rock, 1 zippered pocket, 9.7 oz, nylon, etc… The arch rocks do have belt loops and are on sale for $41 at campsaver

Saw you’re comment about the pants doubling for work as well so there goes  the OR sunlegs idea , depending where you work ! 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools