Topic

Hiking Pants state of the market in 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking Pants state of the market in 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

What’s everyone wearing these days?

Looking to update my pants for backpacking.

For sun protection reasons, I don’t hike in shorts.

Considering the KUIU Tiburon but am open to consider whatever.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-pants-shorts/tiburon-pant/11001.html

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

For sun protection when you might otherwise wear shorts, I really, really like the Rail Riders Echo Mesh Pants.  I also have a pair of Patagonia Rock Guides (now Quandary) and Prana Stretch Zion’s but find both too hot for a lot of hiking.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I really, really like the Rail Riders Echo Mesh Pants.

I’ve seen criticism of them that they are somewhat baggie.  I was interested in buying them, but they don’t make a size for tall people who aren’t large in the waist.  I emailed them last year and they said they were considering a medium waist with a long inseam for this year.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Brad.

Brad P,

I have a pair of the RR Boneflat pants and don’t care for the fit.   Even as a larger person, I find them unnecessarily baggy and poorly tailored.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

For what it’s worth I think they run long.  My pair is a Medium with 30′ inseam and I wear 32″ Jeans/Khaki’s – they are pretty long.  I’m 6′ 165lb and they fit perfect.  Mine are from 2011 and have some holes but overall have held up really well.

They are very baggy – with the size zips unzipped they are MC Hammer Pants even, but as ugly as they are, I think they are cooler by being very loose and baggy.   I think they are exceptionally functional but stylish they are not – If you are looking for a tailored fashionable pant,  I’d look elsewhere.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I have (and like) the Prana Stretch Zion and Kuhl Renegade, but I recently got some Outdoor Research Ferrosi Convertible pants and am sold on them. They’re more light and airy than either the Stretch Zion or the Renegade. It sorta feels like I’m wearing PJ bottoms and I am considering getting rid of all my other pants. They are also a slim fit (not tight, but definitely not baggy).The convertible feature is not really necessary, but the bonus is that they turn into pretty good shorts if there is no bug pressure or danger of sunburning your legs.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

The fit on the RR, for me, is terrible. Horribly baggy.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

I have the REI screeline pants and love them, unfortunately it looks like they are doing away with them.  They fit great, look like real pants and are comfortable even in the heat.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

+1 RR EcoMesh.  That bagginess is sweet when it’s hot and you unzip the leg vents.  Mucho air flow.  They ARE MC Hammerish though, LOL.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I rock the Eco-Mesh too, but not when out on a date. I find them to be very long waisted as well and I am not interested in wearing my pants up by my belly button.  I’d love Eco-Mesh functionality in something with a more trim, active cut.

Patagonia discontinued their wonderful Gi iii pants in nylon and only carries them in a cotton blend now. #booooo

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Easy Matthew.   There’s no need to alienate the elderly Presbyterian picnic demographic now ;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve become a big fan of the Ex Officio BugsAway Sandfly pants. Lighter than the RR Ecomesh, much more comfortable material (to me), much (much much…) better fit, cheaper than the RRs (last time I looked) and they have permethrin baked in. I got rid of all my RR pants and use the Sandfly pants exclusively for 3-season backpacking (or the Echo pants in cooler, windier weather, which are basically the same thing but without the mesh on the inner thighs).

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@izeloz How do the Outdoor Research Ferrosi fit at the waist? Are they true to size in that regard?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Patagonia Rock Craft and now Quandary.  Hiking, backpacking, climbing, hunting, fishing….

Tailored well, just enough stretch, light enough for hot weather sun protection, surprisingly durable, and not so outdoorsy looking that you can’t wear them out with a t shirt.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

This thread is very interesting as I am clinging to a couple pair of TNF meridian pants that have to be 12 or more years old.  They are my fav hiking pants ever, year round, and are still in awesome shape.  I consider them perfect in almost every way. I especially love the semi-elastic waist with drawstring…easy to adjust fit over a variety of baselayers. I dred having to replace them, but am keeping my eyes and ears open as I know replacement is inevitable…unless they outlive me :)

My list of required hiking pants features:

1. NO zip-off legs!  YUK!
    2. Light but dense weave: not sweaty but cut the wind well
    3. zippered pockets so stuff stays put
    4. elastic waist with drawstring let you adjust fit for baselayers
    5. a good scotchguard coating to repel dirt
    6. articulated knees
    7. room in the seat
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

The Ferrosi’s are a bit weird on the sizing. I was given the pants because they didn’t fit my cousin who bought them. The tag says they’re size 30. I am assuming that is the waist measurement. I’m 5’10” and 155 pounds and usually wear a 32 waist, but these fit me great. No information on the inseam, but mine are a bit on the short side. I am guessing 30-31. I like my pants a touch shorter than normal because I go barefoot an awful lot and hate my pants dragging on the ground. Best to try them on first.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Wait wait wait wait…

This thread about pants was started by @discopants. I think you are going to have to explain your username.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

What can I say?  I like pants.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Patagonia Baggies pants.

Not too baggy, actually. Extremely durable.  On the warmer/less breathable end of things but not terrible.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I would also recommend no matter what you get, if you are using your pants for sun protection is to get a light color.  They are much cooler in the sun – at least in my opinion.

BH
    Spectator

@pointeaubaril

I wear the Tiburon by KUIU.  It’s a fantastic pant.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am still quite happy with the Lundhags that I have. I own the Makka and the Njeruu (?) a couple pairs of each and they have been holding up great, considering that I wear them at work as well as on the trail.

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

@cmkannen-2

I’ve been considering getting a pair of the Patagonia Baggies. I’m worried that they might be too warm in temps from 80-90. What has your experience been with them?

Also I’m interested in how they fit and if they bind when scrambling. Let me know if you get the chance. Thanks!

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

Like all pants, I’d suggest trying on the Ferrosi’s before you have fully committed.  Last year I bought the standard Ferrosi pants (size 32 and 34) but I found the ratio between the thighs/waist didn’t work for me.  Interestingly, the Ferrosi crag pants (size medium) fit great.  It is always possible they have changed their sizing by now, so when I need a new pair I’d try them on again.  I absolutely love my ferrosi pants and wear them in all 4 seasons (I am in the Boulder area).  Great pants at a great price (especially when they are on sale!)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools