- Jan 12, 2019 at 5:48 pm #3572868
Packed and ready for the adventure. Just hoping that the Rainy Pass waterproof socks show up in time, and work.Jan 12, 2019 at 8:56 pm #3572899
Steve S.BPL Member
From what I remember Tassajara road is quite rocky, not packed dirt so the issue is more with the road having given in places or fallen trees, not deep mud.
As I recall, the community of Jamesburg, that you pass through on the way to Chews Ridge, China Camp, and Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, have a gate that they close to prevent some inconsiderate local yokels from tearing up the road when it is wet and most vulnerable to damage. There may be no way to know if it will be closed without driving there.
I reached-out to an acquaintance who volunteers regularly at the Mira observatory on Chews Ridge to see what they know about access and road conditions on Tassajara Road..Jan 13, 2019 at 3:08 am #3572942
Rex SandersBPL Member
@rexLocale: Central California Coast
Reminder to self: don’t trust long-range winter weather forecasts on the California coast. Generally they’re OK for 3-4 days.
Current Chews Ridge forecast is 4.5 inches rain through Thursday, then mostly clearing.
Until that changes.
— RexJan 13, 2019 at 9:24 pm #3573024
Pack sunscreen and an umbrella.Jan 15, 2019 at 5:34 pm #3573230
Forecast ever improving.
See you there.Jan 17, 2019 at 5:32 am #3573481
David GardnerBPL Member
@gearmakerLocale: Northern California
Ah snap! I’ve been buried and can’t believe I’ve missed this thread for so long! Even worse, I didn’t set aside the dates and made work commitments this weekend. Grrrr.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
I will truly miss not being able to attend. Hope everyone has a great time.
I had been thinking of doing a Coe GGG XI in March though, if anyone’s still interested…Jan 17, 2019 at 6:28 pm #3573540
Erik GBPL Member
@fox212Locale: Central Coast
All set to head up tomorrow afternoon, just couldn’t wait until Saturday :) Brian and I will be leaving my house early afternoon, and hitting the trail as soon as we get to the TH.
Dave, bummed you won’t be able to make it but I’ll definitely be looking out for a March GGG!
If I have service near the TH I’ll post an update about road conditions.
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:40 pm #3573547
- This reply was modified 12 hours, 40 minutes ago by Erik G.
Steve S.BPL Member
I hope to drive-down on Saturday morning, and will be looking for any road condition updates on Friday evening. I hope to reach the trailhead by noon. It’ll be especially valuable to find out if any of you discover that the road is unpassable or too easily damaged.
The weather forecast looks like we’re in for some pretty good winds on Sunday.
I typically carry a really minimal kit and spartan meals, geared more to through-hiking rather than sitting around a campsite. But the latter looks like what this event is mainly about, so I’ll have to re-think the gear and food I’ll pack. I may want to bring much more than my typical base weight, which is under 8 pounds.Jan 17, 2019 at 8:11 pm #3573550
Think more along the lines of a backcountry social Steve. Not the trip to skimp.Jan 17, 2019 at 11:52 pm #3573591
I am leaving in the morning too; meeting up with Ken and Eng-Shien for a bite and then we’re hiking.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.