- Jan 3, 2019 at 10:23 pm #3571318
Put in for my time off. Kat, thanks, but I’ll drive.
So drive to China Camp trailhead and hike to Pine Valley looking for cottage gear?
Time to look at a map…Jan 4, 2019 at 1:15 am #3571362Jan 4, 2019 at 1:47 am #3571373
Casey BowdenBPL Member
@clbowdenLocale: Berkeley Hills
Anyone have information about Poison Oak on the trail and in Pine Valley?Jan 4, 2019 at 1:55 am #3571374
Forum post from last May reported minimal poison oak along the trail. Whatever minimal is.Jan 5, 2019 at 2:40 am #3571554
Two weeks from right now I should be in camp.Jan 5, 2019 at 6:12 pm #3571623
I’m guessing that after this storm water will not be an issue in camp?Jan 7, 2019 at 11:26 pm #3572036
It’s a new year. Get those campfire permitsJan 8, 2019 at 12:34 pm #3572112
There is a creek running through Pine Valley so water is availabke once there. No water for the 6 mile hike in but it is mainly downhill from China camp to the valley.Jan 8, 2019 at 12:36 pm #3572113
Pine valley is not that big and it should not be hard to locate others. I will try and have some knd of a sign or marker at the site… Think of it as part of the adventure :)
my number up umtil I hit Tassajara road iwilo be Eight Three One, Three Three One, One One Eight One.Jan 8, 2019 at 1:59 pm #3572120
One more…. if it looks like rain it might help if a few of us bring an extra tarp/ tie outs/ stakes so we can build us a hang out shelter.Jan 9, 2019 at 2:44 pm #3572291
Expect some wet,
I’ll bring a tarp and such.Jan 9, 2019 at 9:28 pm #3572372
If I wanted a ride, what airport would I fly into?Jan 9, 2019 at 9:36 pm #3572375
We are going to where the green marker is.Jan 10, 2019 at 6:31 am #3572498
Steve S.BPL Member
@wildegeekJan 10, 2019 at 12:32 pm #3572530
It does look wet but we’ll figure out a way to still have fun, misery and all.Jan 10, 2019 at 12:49 pm #3572531
Let me know if you need a ride Doug.Jan 11, 2019 at 12:36 am #3572635
Erik GBPL Member
@fox212Locale: Central Coast
Doug – Long shot, but if it suits you and other options don’t pan out, you could fly to one of the smaller central coast airports (SLO or Paso Robles) and you can hitch a ride with me. Hope to see you there!Jan 11, 2019 at 1:43 am #3572643
Thanks all for the offers, but my original trip was to Joshua Tree, and now that it’s staying open I’ll be heading there.
Have fun, see y’all at the next one!Jan 11, 2019 at 6:28 am #3572667
Rex SandersBPL Member
@rexLocale: Central California Coast
Forecast 6.5 inches of rain in the next 10 days for Chews Ridge means a muddy 7 mile dirt road into China Camp. Roughly 6% grade in the last mile.
Might be exciting in 2WD vehicles – or even 4WD.
Anybody with local knowledge?
— RexJan 11, 2019 at 3:35 pm #3572688
Hammock might be wise. Has to get pretty deep, lol.
Watching the weather with interest. The forum from the Ventana Alliance is active and pretty up to date. I’m guessing they’ll know if Tassajara will close or not. Link a page or so back.Jan 11, 2019 at 4:02 pm #3572692
W I S N E R !BPL Member
Good luck folks, hope it doesn’t get too wet and you have a good trip.Jan 11, 2019 at 8:34 pm #3572723
Well…Jan 11, 2019 at 9:00 pm #3572729
Steve SBPL Member
Guys, this is a tough one for me, but my son has already bailed because of the weather, and I am really reluctant to drive with the weather forecast from such a distance. 6″ of rain is more than half of our annual rainfall where I live!
So I am going to have to hold off and hope for another opportunity soon! I hope that it all works out! Have a great time.
Hint: lets all go to the desert!!Jan 12, 2019 at 5:14 am #3572796
The ever changing forecast,Jan 12, 2019 at 3:21 pm #3572850
I don’t have a good answer for you Rex. From what I remember Tassajara road is quite rocky, not packed dirt so the issue is more with the road having given in places or fallen trees, not deep mud.
Steve, we’ll see you another time.
For me it’s a little adventure :)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.