Topic

Help inserting photos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Help inserting photos

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

i took a picture of a tent I want to sell.  With my iPhone.  Yet it says it’s too big to upload

how can I fix this ?

thank you

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Email it to yourself. Your iPhone will ask you what size to send it at. Your photo needs to be under 600k 1mb.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Photo size limit is 1mb

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I stand corrected.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

No real answer to the question? I have resized photos to the smallest possible on the computer and still cannot load any to gear swap.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Mathew is right, if you took the photo with your iPhone, the easiest thing to do is email it to yourself.  Your iPhone will ask what quality you want to send it as – choose one that is under 1mb (probably medium) and you can then add it to your Gearswap post.

I have no idea why the software can’t downsize your photo for you but it doesn’t.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

What error message do you get ?

Can you post it in this thread ?

BTW, if using Windows you have Paint .

This is how you re-size a photo with that programme :

Right click on the image file in the File Explorer (or Desktop…) , select Open With, Paint.
    Select main menu item Image, Stretch/Skew … Change the Horizontal and Vertical percentages to a percentage less than 100. …
    Select the main menu item File >> Save As to save the resized image.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

And make sure that you save it as a jpg or png file.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I take photos of MYOG projects, etc, wide angle (from further away) and then “edit” the photo on my phone by cropping it down.  That reduces the file size to within BPL limits.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

There are different ways to resize a computer image:

1 – Reduce the apparent dimensions on the screen without reducing the file size

2 – Reduce the file size regardless of the apparent dimensions on the screen

3 – Reduce both file size and apparent dimensions

4 – Crop the photo (chop off the edges) while usually reducing file size and dimensions

BPL needs the file size reduced to less than 1 MB. Just shrinking how the photo appears on the screen (#1 above) doesn’t always shrink the file size.

To shrink the file size on a Mac using the free builtin Preview software:

1 – Make a copy of the photo

2 – Open the photo in Preview

3 – Select Tools > Adjust Size

4 – Under “Resulting Size” note the current image size. For example, 2 MB

5 – In “Width”, enter a percent reduction that gets below 1 MB, e.g. 50. By default Preview shrinks both Width and Height the same.

6 – Recheck “Resulting Size” to be sure

7 – If you are under 1 MB, click “OK”

8 – Select File > Save

Then you can upload the shrunken photo to BPL

On an iPhone or iPad – use the email trick others described unless you have a photo editing app.

You could also search for “free image editing” and find a web-based app that should work on almost any platform. A quick search finds too many to chose from, I have no experience, choose carefully.

Yes, it’s too bad BPL forum software doesn’t include “click to shrink” or automatic shrinking. To quote a former Secretary of Defense “As you know, you go to war with the Army you have.

Hope this helps.

— Rex

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Wait a minute – according to BPL Trac we should have auto re-sizing now, but it doesn’t appear to work.

“Auto-resizing of photos (COMPLETE);”

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Complete, but not live.

BPL-v4c in progress

Don’t forget this nugget of info,

“Not yet scheduled, we are waiting on the major release of our core forum software code from that developer, which has been in “late beta” mode for the past several months.“

Been a year…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I didn’t see that part ken.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Hopefully it will be released soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools