Topic

Help Identifying a Backpack Logo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help Identifying a Backpack Logo?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I’m actually having deja vu. I have a feeling I asked this before.

I saw a backpack I really liked while in the airport in Keflavik, iceland. Looks very new, very modern, an internal-frame backpack in the style of Gregory- smooth lines and abstract shapes, but minimalist. The logo even looked like Gregory- it was a squiggly line, and that’s it. Just a squiggly zigzag.

It wasn’t Gregory, because it didn’t say Gregory, and anyways, it’s not on their site. So, can anyone name a backpack company that has a squiggle for it’s logo? Thank you!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ask Jorgen as he is writing an article on pack manufacturers from the other side of the pond

https://backpackinglight.com/members/jorgen/

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Look here.  Over a hundred logos shown of popular European brands.

http://www.outnorth.com/brandpages

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

It’s the Gregory Mountain Products logo used between 1994 and 2014.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California
    Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I think Arne is on the right track

The squiggle is very similar to the Gregory one.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Hey, you guys got it! It was quechua. Neat!

the backpack I saw doesn’t look like any of the ones on their site. Must be an old model. I was impressed in person but the ones I see online are less exciting.

tomorrow i’m in Reykjavik, and in the market for a small “summer” camping bag for some extra food capacity for brief excursions into the interior of the country. I think i’m gonna go in “blind” and see which previously unknown euro brand impresses me the most!

Thanks again for the help :)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Max,

Do a google image search for the “Gregory Sketch 25” and look for one with the 2014 “old” Gregory logo. On the back of the pack, there is an old-style zig-zag logo with the word “Gregory” but on the shoulder strap there is just the zig-zag. I’m wondering if you saw just the strap logo or maybe the word was covered. It seems like the kind of pack you’re thinking about.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Max,

Dang!  We’re going to create a BPL traffic jam here in Iceland. You’re prepping for a trip, Manfred’s daughter is wrapping up a 10-day trek and shipping out as Manfred picks up the pace for the next 20 days to finish his hike across the country, and I’m here with my family and parents in law seeing the sights.

Ideally, you’ll bump into Hannah, borrow a bag off of her, and send it back to Menlo Park after your trek.  I don’t have much UL gear with me or I’d offer. We’re in Reykjavik until July 10th of something comes up. My US cell phone number = 907-252-2954, texting works best.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

David, thanks for your generous offer. Kelley and I are enjoying the beautiful weather! It hasn’t rained a drop since we got here on the 5th. Is this an icelandic drought?

We have seen a lot of other campers and bike tourists. We are feeling over-prepared. With 3L rain gear, a 4-season tent, plenty of fleece, warm winter sleeping bags, and very reliable rigid mountain bikes, we are touring in comfort…. Other than the wind, ha. All thanks to the wisdom of this site, where I learn damn near everything.

It would be great fun to meet up.  I was planning an excursion to Ellisburg outdoors store tomorrow in Reykjavik. Shoot me an email at mdilthey @ gmail dot com and meet me if you’d like, we are flexible!

email is best- I have data, but no texting or calls.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For the non European ones… Quechua is a brand name for outdoor products sold by Decatholon, the largest EU sporting goods retailer.
    Now with about 850 stores worldwide, 65.000 employees.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-309970-quechua
    (they sell a lot of pop up tents, the ones that really do pop up by themselves…)

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

Quechua targets the ‘first time’ backpackers. Their gear is quite cheap and not that bad.

But, in my experience, nothing to get excited about. Where I live (Belgium), almost everybody starts with a full Quechua-outfit.
    Because it’s the only thing a young backpacker can afford.

Pity is; the gear is heavy. They market a tent as being ultralight, but it weighs 2,4 kg/5,3 lbs. For a solo tent! On the other hand, it’s only € 125. But still.

My first backpack, a 60L Quechua, weighs 3 kg/6,6lbs empty.

I see a lot of young and enthusiast hikers giving up after one trip (totally outfitted by Decathlon) because of the heavy pack. Lightweight backpacking in the classic stores over here in Europe, not a thing. Too bad a retailer like Decathlon (or others) doesn’t seem to care; there’s no one in store to give advice and most people just pick the sleeping bag or the pack which has the nicest colour, is the cheapest or takes the least amount of space in their pack.
    Same goes for shoes. There’s a whole bunch of shoes but no one to give advice. Same for all the other gear.

Oh well. I only wanted to say that it suprised me you got excited by a Quechua-pack ;)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools