Topic

Ground Cloth Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ground Cloth Suggestions

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

I mostly use tarps and mid shelters, and I camp in a lot of muddy and wet/snowy places. I typically use SilNy ground cloths but on particularly muddy and wet trips they seem to let water through. I don’t like using any disposable gear if I can help it which is why I don’t tend to use PolyCro or Tyvek. I’ve been looking as DCF ground cloths but worry about them constantly puncturing (although they would patch easily) and I’ve also been wondering about SilPoly since it theoretically wouldn’t absorb moisture like SilNy (although I imagine it’s less abrasion resistant?) anyway I’m looking for any suggestions or input from anyone, thanks in advance!

R
    Spectator

@autox

BH
    Spectator

@pointeaubaril

I’ve found that just buying the ground sheet from the tent manufacturer is the easiest solution with the least headaches. I tried a disposable ground sheet once – made from a window kit. Never again – it was a pain in the ass to setup. I’ll gladly carry the extra weight of the ground sheet made by Big Agnes.

Which tent are you using?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’ve been amazed by just how durable Polycro is – I get at least 30-40 nights out of a sheet of it.

If you really want durable though, why avoid Tyvek?  It should be more durable than DCF (which I don’t think is well suited for footprints/tent floors).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

One more thing – If you really want durable and waterproof and don’t mind weight – what about a X-pac ground cloth?  It would be durable and 100% waterproof.  I’ve never seen X-Pac used that way, but if Silnylon isn’t waterproof enough and I don’t think DCF won’t be durable enough, X-Pac may be what you’re looking for.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’ve been using the same DIY groundsheet on my Duplex for 5 years…no sign of wear or failure.  Made it from a 2x thick polycryo “Duck” brand patio door sealing kit purchased from W*lM*rt.  Installed 4 small nylon washers in the corners held by packing tape.  It weighs 3 oz with guy lines and installs and functions identically to a manufacturer’s groundsheet.  Cost about $10 and I’m pretty sure I still have enough material somewhere to make another one, which I might need to…in another 5 years.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“I’ve been amazed by just how durable Polycro is – I get at least 30-40 nights out of a sheet of it.”

Ditto. Just be careful with it and it lasts very long.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I’m not sure why silnylon (30D) wouldn’t be waterproof enough, I don’t use a ground cloth and I’ve never had the floor of my tents or bivys with 30d silnylon leak.

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

Tyvek does seem longer lasting so I am considering it. Does it let water permeate through after awhile though? I actually was wondering about using X-Pac as a last resort given that it’s more durable than DCF but also naturally waterproof. Does anyone know how DCF compares to Tyvek in terms of abrasion resistance? If they’re comparable I may just get the DCF and accept that every few months it may need a patch.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I had a Z-Packs DCF food bag (made out of the HD DCF)  that didn’t make it one trip before it had holes and abrasions in it, while I had used a silnylon bag for five years with few signs of wear.   I also have a Z-Packs DCF dry bag style stuff sack I use for my quilt, and it has holes where it gets rolled up (as you do a dry bag).  It’s been used since 2015 but it doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy for long term use  where abrasion is an issue.  Years ago I used the same Tyvek ground cloth for over 5 years and never got a hole in it.  I never had water leak through, but have heard it’s not 100% waterproof.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Every option that’s been mentioned here is disposable.  My guess is that Tyvek is probably as easy on the environment as anything else.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@JCH is your cloth the same dimension as the Duplex floor or is it a little smaller/bigger?

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I love the Zpacks DCF bathtub’s – they have worked out well for me. Haven’t people used these things on their tents for entire thru’ hikes and some on multiple thru hikes without any issues?

The main reason I don’t use Polycro is the transparent nature of the sheet. Somehow I cannot get used to seeing all the junk on the ground while DCF or other groundcloths seemed to provide a nice tent like feeling in a tarp setting.

Do they sell polycro in black color? I tried looking for it – but have never found it. If there is non-transparent polycro – then I might try it just for cost reasons.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

alternatively, you could use the polycryo and then a DCF groundsheet – it may still come out lighter than Tyvek….

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Two layers is not a good approach in wet weather, the rain gets between the layers and cannot drain away.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

As a tarp user, two layers is not an issue as the two layers are going to be completely inside the tarp. I used Zpacks bathtub DCF groundsheet (solo plus) and a bivy on top of that groundsheet under my tarp in PCT-Washington. I didn’t like the fact that the bivy didn’t cover the entire ground under the tarp – so, I wanted something underneath my bivy. Also the bivy is not as wide as the DCF groundsheet – so, sitting on the bivy to change/unpack etc meant putting stuff on dirty/wet ground which I didn’t want to do. DIdn’t like polycryo as it was transparent – I know – this is more mental than anything. Having the DCF sheet made it more homely! And it provided a large surface to sit/unpack/change etc. Also, it is a bath tub – so, I can raise the walls depending on how/where the splash is coming from.

I used this combination of DCF bathtub groundsheet and bivy for cowboy camping and under the tarp – we had thunderstorms and 4 to 5 days of entire day/night rains – no issues at all.

I have also heard that some people have reported their Neo air’s slipping on Polycryo……also Polycryo is not a bathtub – of course you could make it. Also figuring out which side is the side you sleep on is painful to figure out in a polycryo.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

@rocko99 – a little smaller in both dimensions.  Standard practice for tent ground sheets.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

My experience with DCF from MLD has been pretty good. Ymmv. I have ~400 nights in a super light bivy which has a .74 oz DCF floor. No holes or water ingress as of yet. Both of my main shelters, a grace tarp and duomid, have been repeatedly stuffed for the past 4 years with no signs of abrasions or holes in the fabric or DCF stuff sacks.  Most dedicated ground sheets are made with the more robust 1oz DCF which should result in more longevity. In the event of a puncture the holes are easily repaired with the DCF-centric repair tape. I’ve had a couple accidents with fallen branches onto the tarp which I fixed in the field with the tape on both sides, totally waterproof and the holes can’t get any bigger because the tape has bonded very well.

@zack – as a home builder I have a bunch of leftover Tyvek if you’d like me to send you a piece of it? It’s 6 feet wide Tbh I don’t use it for camping except to construct makeshift protective envelopes for tent stakes and my snow shovel… it is very “crinkly” sounding and it attracts dirt that gets embedded into the fibers, and it’s heavy. the kind I have is technically water resistant (there are multiple different kinds of Tyvek) the nature of the product as a house wrap is to also allow drying by having microscopic pores which allow water vapor to escape but liquid water to run down in its intended application on exterior vertical surfaces. There is synthetic roofing underlayment which is completely impervious to water and does not “breath” I also have some of that but it’s only 4 feet wide and heavier than Tyvek. Happy to send you some to test out if you want to

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

Instead of just holding your dcf groundsheet up to the light to check for holes, you should put it in a couple of inches of water in a bowl, and check the whole floor. You might get a different result that way.

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

David, thanks so much for the offer, very cool of you. With what you all have said, I think I’ll hold off on Tyvek. I’m leaning towards picking up a DCF ground cloth and we’ll see how it holds up.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I broached this subject here last Spring:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/anyone-make-custom-dcf-footprints-tarps/

After playing with some 1.1 oz silpoly, I’ve gone back to Tyvek. I just believe, all things considered (cost, weight, durability, non-slip, waterproofness), it’s the best product out there.

Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

Could one wash tyvek to desired softness then coat with mineral spirits mixed with silicone? Would weight get to heavy?

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Polycryo is way too much of a pain to deal with. Opt for tyvek and don’t look back. No need to complicate things with silicon. Silicon attracts dirt/dust, which is the last thing you’d want to be touching the ground. If you’re really concerned about water penetration than DCF would be the best choice. 1.43oz dyneema would be ideal IMO

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

If you’re really concerned about water penetration than DCF would be the best choice. 1.43oz dyneema would be ideal IMO

Garrett, wondering if you read the link I posted above?

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Polycryo is way too much of a pain to deal with

In what regard?  I’m a pretty big fan of polycro.  It is extremely lightweight, has very little bulk, does not retain dirt, and is very durable.  i do not find it to be overly slick, and I’ve had sheets last for many years.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools