Topic

Ground Cloth Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ground Cloth Suggestions

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Brad, it must have slipped by me. I am partial to PU coated fabric. PU can develop a horrible smell overtime especially when stored wet or deteriorating. It’s cheap and replaceable though, so it’s a valid option.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

David – In regards to setup in windy conditions. Even the slightest breeze can make laying down polycryo a chore (even with rocks around). Not worth the drama in my experience. At least not while Tyvek is readily available. I’m not sure how I would feel using only polycryo under an inflatable mattress either. I know people do it, but still…

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I use polycryo under my tent floor, followed with a super thin GG thinlight pad; followed with my sleep pad.

It’s true that polycryo flies up at the slightest gust. I still use it. It’s super light and completely waterproof; and because it’s clear you can pick out potential puncture material–Ponderosa pine cone scales–and remove them before placing your tent and pad down.

But I’m not sure that I’d use polycryo alone beneath an inflatable pad.

You simply use rocks at the corners and center. Then lay down the tent. Yes, it’s an added step. But I’ve never had a puncture with this set up. No bugs either!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I like polycryo but I bought some tyvek for use with my tarp because when I used polycryo with my tarp I didn’t like seeing all the stuff I was sitting on. Someone else mentioned the same thing on the previous page. I guess it’s not that weird. I like to have a roof over me, too, because I don’t like feeling like I’ll fall off the earth into the stars. I guess I’m so domesticated living in a box most of my life.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Brad, it must have slipped by me. I am partial to PU coated fabric. PU can develop a horrible smell overtime especially when stored wet or deteriorating. It’s cheap and replaceable though, so it’s a valid option.

Garrett, I used 1.1 oz Silpoly (PU coated) for a groundcloth last summer and hated it. Slippery, difficult to lay out, would take off in the lightest breeze. Other than slightly lighter than Tyvek, it was horrible.

I’m back to Tyvek.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

For something tough like tyvek without the dirt-grabbing I use 50# wild birdseed bags. They are non woven & have imbedded fibers. I don’t try to cover the entire tent bottom, just hip & shoulder area. Slip it under after tent erected if windy. Carry a small piece for inside vestibule if muddy.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I’ve been using SOL Emergency Blankets for quite a few years now. These are NOT the space blankets of old, much tougher and more durable. The one I have now is on its third (?) season, with at least 60 nights on it. Still going strong. They’re widely available and cost $5, and the 56″ x 84″ one weighs 2.5 oz.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I use the Duck window plastic. Reinforced the corners with duct tape, cut slits in each corner tape, and use skinny elastic to attach to tent stakes. I left flaps that cover the two vestibules, so I have a clean floor for my pack or whatever. I have a single small peice of colorful duct tape stuck in a corner to distinguish top of the sheet, from the bottom. I set up the tent first, then stretch the sheet underneath. Only had one failure after several years of use, in heavy wind. On my second sheet now. Never had a puncture or other leak. The entire box of multiple sheets, was clearanced for $3 I think. Can’t see purchasing the mfr ground sheet or even tyvek.</p>
    Kelly

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools