Topic

Good weekend backpacking in late May near major airports?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Good weekend backpacking in late May near major airports?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    daved brosche
    BPL Member

@travelgearblog-2

Im looking for a 2 or 3 day backpacking trip in late May, but must be no further than 2 hours from a major airport.

Any suggestions?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

California. Pick an airport. Not being smarmy.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

How about Utah? I believe that Zion NP is within a few hours of Vegas. May will be warm during the day, but at least it’s snow free in the Utah and Arizona canyon country, as opposed to most mountain destinations in the West in May.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You might be able to put together something from Portland in the Columbia Gorge. It really depends on the snowmelt and the elevation you want to go (and May is usually too soon). I don’t have details but I know there are shuttles from Portland (maybe PDX itself) to the Gorge trailheads.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Moab is more like three hours from Salt Lake city, but there’s lots of canyon hiking there.

daved brosche
    BPL Member

@travelgearblog-2

Good call @saparisor !  The Eagle Creek Trail looks perfect.  A little busy, but probably one of the better hikes I can manage this time of year.

Kathryn L
    BPL Member

@klc

I just backpacked in Joshua Tree, which is about 2 hours from LA.  Not sure if it’s unbearably hot by late May, but we loved it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools