Topic

GGG 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Transportation is handled

Looking forward to seeing some shiny new things and dirty old friends.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

From what I can tell it’s OK to ride a mountain bike into camp?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey Craig. Yes, bikes are ok out there.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks Jacob.  Hopefully I can make it, it would be cool to see you.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^^ after reading about your biking commute I wonder if you are pondering biking all the way up here ??

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I wish I had the time!

I’m looking at a long bike tour for this summer, but not for the GGG.  Just thinking of biking in and out to save time…If I’m going to be able to make it up it’s going to have to be a fast one.  Hope to see you!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“biking all the way up here”

When I putting together Half Dome trips for friends (long before you needed permits), a friend of a friend came along.  The guy hiked right past me (rare, back when I was half my age) and got to the top an hour ahead of anyone else.

Only once on top did I hear his exercise regime: Bicycle 40 miles to work, play basketball all lunch hour, bicycle 40 miles home, and then eat non-stop until he went to sleep.  Repeat five times.  Then do century rides on the weekend.  The rest of us had driven to USFS land just outside the park.  He had bicycled the 130 miles from the Bay Area.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Ken & Co:  I’m in.  I know it’s been a while for me, but can’t miss X.  Can’t believe it’s been 10 years though.  I’m sure we all look much younger than that first year in Pt. Reyes.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jeremy

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

GGG X  February 16-18th at Henry W. Coe State Park. Morgan Hill, CA.

It is that time of year. Please join fellow BPLers at our tenth annual gathering. Everyone is welcome.

Don’t know what it is? Look here, GGG 9

I will give you all the info right here, so read it through. If you still have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM or direct e mail at kenthompson2 at mac dot com before the event.

• Directions to the park 
    • You will need to pay parking and park in the overflow lot down the road from the Park HQ. The cost is $8 a day. You can pay at the park headquarters if open or use the iron ranger right across the street. The overflow lot may look locked but is not. Close gate behind you.
    • Map showing parking, trails to camp.
    • We will be occupying Manzanita Point Group Camp Sites 4&5. There will be a lighted sign so you don’t walk past if coming after dark.
    • Water tank on the trail near campsite is inoperable. I will have about 40 gallons on hand but please pack some in for your use. Potable water is available at park campground and at the adjacent headquarters.
    • With the water there will be firewood or fire pits to keep warm. Contests and prizes to keep you occupied and entertained. The chance to see one another in person or meet someone for the first time in the flesh. These have always been a great time. Get off the fence and come.
    • Cell reception is spotty at best in the park, don’t count on it.
    • Spread the word.
    • Thanks to those who have contributed to cover the event costs so far.
    Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

I will be there Saturday-Sunday with my two little hikers. The 4-year old asked if there will be knife-throwing again. Made quite an impression last year!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

We will be occupying Manzanita Point Group Camp Sites 4&5.

For those who’ve attended recent GGGs, sites 4 & 5 are in the old same place.
    https://goo.gl/maps/vvBpQp2JisK2

Hammock hangers should have plenty of suitable trees available.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Would this be accurate for a weather forecast?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yes Doug.

Thanks Rex, perfect.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Awesome.  I’ll be there!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I am planning on coming.  Haven’t got all the necessary approvals at work, but usually if my boss doesn’t say “no”, that means “yes.”. Something like that.  🙂

HJ

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

A newbie and a return offender. Can’t wait.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Was thinking of making some swag for my next few film fest events, maybe I’ll make them early and pass some out at GGG.  ;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“The 4-year old asked if there will be knife-throwing again. Made quite an impression last year!”

Hi Kristin! Last year I did not stay long so I left my knives with other folks at the GGG. I am planning on bringing something else that could be fun though. If anyone still has that set of knives and wants to bring it that’d be fun for sure.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Throwing knives eh?  Awesome!   I’ll bring the clotting bandages.  ;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^^ good idea :)

…..last year we had some little kids that did great under the watchful eye of their parents. It was nice to see that.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I want to see some bear bagging skills and the faster liter filtered.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Oh, before anyone brings up the concern: we were throwing them against a log round, not a tree, and well away from others.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We had someone cut their finger slicing sausage one year. Been a pretty safe event.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

“Thanks to those who have contributed to cover the event costs so far.”

How can I contribute?  Is there a website or PayPal address somewhere?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sure, PayPal to kenthompson2 at mac dot com

And thank you.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools