Topic

Getting to know “Buck” Nelson: Modern Mountain Man

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Getting to know “Buck” Nelson: Modern Mountain Man

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

Companion forum thread to: Getting to know “Buck” Nelson: Modern Mountain Man

“Buck” Nelson might be the closest thing to a modern mountain man. Read Jorgen Johansson’s interview with the man who loves the outdoors.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

great article, thanks

I’ve been following Buck from his reports here, interesting to get more detailed info

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Yes, great article. Also been following Buck’s adventures for a long time. Good stuff Jorgen and Buck!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Very good interview.

One of my favorite people to follow.

In this day and age of EPIC ADVENTURE OF SELF where eating pop tarts is AN EPIC ADVENTURE to put on Instagram, Buck just plans, goes out there and does it.

I want to be like Buck when I retire. :)

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I completely agree with Nick and Mags, I have enjoyed Buck’s travels for years and find his approach straight forward and practical without fanfare.  Nice interview!

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

Paul,

I cannot leave your comment about the great adventures of eating pop tarts and the likes that are spreading like wildfire, without totally agreeing. I am just waiting for the backlash from all this that will bring good old British understatements back in favor. Like when Chris Townsend writes about hiking in hard, unbalancing winds along a ridge: “It made the walking interesting”.

When in Alaska I heard a comment about Buck: “He’s done some wonderful thing, but doesn’t talk about it much. He just goes and does his stuff.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools