Topic

FS: The perfect pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals FS: The perfect pillow

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

<p style=”text-align: left; padding-left: 30px;”>I’ve tried a lot of backpacking pillows. Exped, montbell, thermarest, stuff sack, backpack, shoes with a jacket on top… I never have found one suitable. I’m a side sleeper, but do go to my stomach and back frequently throughout the night. My neck would always hurt in the morning, no matter what I tried. Since necessity is the mother of all invention, I decided to make one. Made of .51 cuben and 10D membrane taffeta. The filling is an open cell foam PU foam that we regularly throw away at work. Stuffed it’s 15″ long by 11″ wide, 4 3/4″ tall. The best part, 3 oz on the dot. I’ve had it out for some nights now, and it’s perfect. I can fold it in half for side sleeping and my cervical spine stays in alignment (no sore necks) or leave it flat for back and stomach. It packs up decently.  I love it so much, I made another one.  $30.00 shipped conus.  I can custom make one to your specs too if you want one smaller or bigger.</p>

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

nicely done Luke!

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I saw this in the MYOG section awhile back. I need to sell some things to get some spending money first, but when I do, I’ll hit you up for one.

steven green
    BPL Member

@mrgreen4

I’ll take it!

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Well, that was fast!  Sold pending funds to Steve.  I’ll make some more if there’s interest, custom sizing too!

Thomas Sabido
    BPL Member

@forgeadventures

I’m interested. I will send you a PM.

LuiC
    BPL Member

@aceicesoul

pictures of how its is packed in your bag? currently using a sea to summit aeros and you are right about side sleeping.. most pillows can’d handle that.. nice work!

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

I don’t have pictures in the bag, but it’s the first thing I put it in my crown vc 60.  It fills up the bottom of the pack perfectly and next goes quilt, clothing, etc.  It gives the bag a good foundation when packing up the rest of your gear.   As you add weight, it just smooshes down to nothing.

kacie b
    BPL Member

@kaciebernal

I’m interested in one if you’re still considering making them.

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Hi Kacie, yes-  still making them.  I have two out right now and both want to get some trail time on them before doing full reviews, but our conversations suggest they are already loved. I tried to PM you buy I don’t believe you have it set up yet.  PM me and we can discuss the size/specs you’re looking for.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Will most likely put an order in for two in the near future, need to do some measuring of my bed pillows at home

Kimberlee E
    BPL Member

@kkeverson

I would like one!

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Just made one for kimberlee… Initial report is that she loves it but she’s going to log some miles before a full review.  I made it a little wider for her side sleeping preference; it ended up 17X11 finished and weighed 3.4 oz.

Kimberlee E
    BPL Member

@kkeverson

I will be trying it out this weekend. I can hardly wait to sleep on it!

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

I’ll take one……  I’ll PM you now.  THANKS

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Feedback so far has been really good!  I’ve added a little width to make them 17×11 and the side sleepers say it’s easier to keep folded throughout the night.  It’s also a very luxurious size for back and stomach sleepers. It brings the total to right at 3.3 oz.  Also,  I’ve started cutting the foam up into much smaller pieces (as requested) and my labor time has gone up significantly.  The pillows will now be 35 dollars shipped conus.  If you have questions or want a specific size, PM me or email [email protected]

Kimberlee E
    BPL Member

@kkeverson

Ill comment that I tried mine out on a quick trip last night. It was the best side sleeping camp pillow ever. Also it was real comfy when I shifted to my stomach. It does take up more pack space than an inflatable but Im not real worried about volume most the time. Really great!

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

I got mine and love it!  But I think I owe you 5 bucks, Luke!  I never saw the post with the new price.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Luke, sent you a PM about placing an order finally. Looking forward to getting one!

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Father’s Day special!  30 bucks shipped through Monday!

kacie b
    BPL Member

@kaciebernal

sent a message.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Payment sent. Looking forward to it!

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Received, feels great!

kacie b
    BPL Member

@kaciebernal

This thing is really great!!!  I have the worst time sleeping out there, even after months of being on the trail I’ll still have a hard time with sleeping, almost entirely due to trying to use a clothing bag or food bag for a pillow.  I used this recently on a trip and it was so great, solid job Luke!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ve added a little width to make them 17×11 and the side sleepers say it’s easier to keep folded throughout the night.

So the pillow size winds up being 8.5X11 for side sleepers? When I change sides will it come unfolded?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools