Topic

Free software for 11 UL backpacking gear items you can 3D print

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Free software for 11 UL backpacking gear items you can 3D print

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Carabiners, GoPro mounts, whistle, fishing reel, camera tripod, buckles, canister stove legs, more. Here is the link. When you download the software it will ask if you want to leave a tip for the designer.

I plan to at least make the UL “survival” fishing reel that can be used on a trekking pole and the super loud whistle. What catches your eye?

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I nice 3d printer with the knowledge base to go with it would be a dream machine for the MYOG enthusiast, IMO. I was just thinking about these printers earlier today.

Backpacking gear is pretty basic compared to what is now being created out there by some of these home based 3d printers.

Anyone here use them?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Thanks for the link David!  I’ve been looking for This One:  (connect hiking poles for a duomid 2 pole inverted V set-up)  So how does this work? download the ‘file’ and take it to someone with a 3-D printer?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Hey there Mr. Outer Banks (obx)! I know essentially nothing about 3D printing software, such as whether there is an industry standard format that will work in all or most machines, but I assume that is what one does.

I planned to call my local maker shop and tell them what I had and ask if their machine is compatible. Then a generous BPL member offered to make a couple and send them to me after the holidays.

I’m waiting until they have retail level machines that print metal. Or…are they already here?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Solid models are usually outputted in something like an STL or a STEP file.  That is the computer generated model itself.  Various 3D printers use process parameters to “print” the model including X,Y & Z resolution.  The parameters shown were for Filament type printers.

yes, there are metal 3D printer and yes they are expensive.  My 2 cents.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks Jon.

“and yes they are expensive”

Yeah….to me that means they’re not “retail level” yet. Soon no doubt.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Received today these 3D printed bits for two UL fishing reels from the Inimitable Matthew K:

Looking forward to assembling and showing them off at the Pandemic Survivor NorCal GGG next month. Introducing a new category for the Weigh Off competitions: Lightest Fishing Reel. If these are the lightest they won’t be counted, and I’ll award one to the winner.

But first I have to find those instructions…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools