Topic

PS NorCal GGG 2022 April 15-16-17

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips PS NorCal GGG 2022 April 15-16-17

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Calling all Pandemic Survivor UL’ers to the 2022 NorCal Gathering of Gear Geeks Fri-Sun, April 15-16-17, 2022. Shout out to Rick Niemi for the nudge!

I think this will be #13. With the 2-year pandemic hiatus, that makes it 15 years since the original.

Water, firewood, TP, latrine lighting and hand sanitizer will be provided, as well as all supplies required for the various burn offs except canisters. $15 per person.

Events will include:

• wood stove burn off for speed
    • alcohol burn offs for speed and efficiency
    • esbit burn offs for speed and efficiency
    • canister stove burns offs for speed and efficiency
    • lightest complete cook kits using alcohol, esbit, wood, or canister (stove, pot, lid, windscreen, fuel container, source of ignition, and stuff sack/container)
    • lightest saw capable of cutting through a douglas fir 2×2 in less than 2 minutes
    • fastest saw under 5 oz. to cut through a douglas fir 2×2
    • lightest knife with at least a 1.5″ blade
    • shelter tour

It would also be cool if some people step forward to give demonstrations of various skills, such as knot tying, tarp pitching, hammock hanging, first aid, alcohol stove fabrication, and….?

Post here or PM me if you plan to attend.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. Be there or be square!

PS: The traditional and hallowed Manzanita Point Group Site #5 at Henry W. Coe State Park is already booked, so I have reserved #7 this year:

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Maybe add a water filter contest? Total time to gather one liter of fresh water from a pond (bucket) and filter. I’ll supply a BeFree. Might learn a few tricks along the way.

— Rex

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Great ideas Rex. I’ve got a Sawyer mini, and I’m sure there are others with similar.

5 people have signed up so far. Technically the group site minimum is 9 people, but I don’t think that’s going to be a problem.

Everyone is invited, from old hands to newbies, you don’t have to be a gear maker, you don’t have to be ultralight. It’s only 2.5 miles from the parking lot to the campsite, which just about anybody with any old kind of gear can do.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Maybe a gear swap in the lower parking lot as we leave, like some previous years? I certainly have some excess gear that needs a new home.

— Rex

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Gear swap in the lower lot for sure. I also have a bunch of gently & barely used UL gear that need new homes.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

IRL Gear Swap sounds like a good idea!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Me too (have stuff I don’t need) – but I won’t be there on Sunday.  Maybe I’ll bring some in on Friday.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@d k: I’m driving in with at least one support vehicle on Friday at 2 p.m., if you want us to tote in anything for you.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Thanks, I’ll probably take you up on that!

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Thanks for organizing this David! I appreciate it very much!
    I’m looking forward to to seeing everyone. Will be fun! The gear swap sounds good.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Glad the GGG is happening once again! I’m already scheduled to lead a hike at Pt. Reyes on Friday, the 15th and Easter Sunday is the 17th and this Grandma always has a big egg hunt for grandchildren on Easter, in Inverness/Pt. Reyes. However, as I’m turning 80 and this might be a last opportunity to see GGG/BPL friends I may try to make it for Saturday. ?? Have permits for two backcountry trips in July and August in Eastern Sierra so still at it-fewer miles per day and slower pace but still great fun. Thanks to R. Niemi and David G. for getting us together again. Jane Baack

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Sure hope you can make it Jane, always enjoy seeing you and you’re an inspiration to those of you are committed to staying active as we…ahem…”approach middle age.” As my Dad always put it until he hit 90 this year, middle age is always 10 years older than whatever age you happen to be once you’re over  60. Like Jack Benny and his anniversaries of his 39th birthday.

Sorry, I didn’t realize it was Easter weekend for some reason when I made the reservations. We’ll probably lose some who might have otherwise have been able to attend.

Pt. Reyes? Wait a minute….you’re not going to an exclusive, invite-only mini GGG are ya? ;-)

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I hope to make it, but might just be Friday-Saturday to keep the fam happy :)

David, I’m happy to provide support as usual if you’d like! Firewood, water, tarps, etc.

Can’t wait to see everybody again! It’s been way too long

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Ha! Just posted on your tent thread before I saw this. It would be great if you can make it, and if with the family even better. Always great to see you and appreciate your help.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Well, even though it’s not an exclusive mini-GGG, I might come anyway (regardless of those who might wish I wouldn’t….), if for no other reason than to see Jane again. She is definitely one of the coolest people I’ve ever met.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Well, if Mr. Rubmybelly is going, I just might head up as well, even if for just one night (likely Saturday). Good excuse to visit one of my kids in the Bay Area on Friday night.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@WISNER! Whatever it takes to get you up here is a good thing. Make it easier for yourself this time and skip the “ultralight” ceramic mini-mugs, although they were very nice. Still have mine somewhere.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Oh, I was already thinking about a set to give out…

Thanks David.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Gosh David, I think I’m supposed to feel insulted somehow…

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Not too current with BPL name changes but rubmybelly I definitely can figure out and will look forward to seeing you as well. Craig says he might be visiting one of his kids who lives in my home neighborhood in the Bay Area so we might inadvertently arrive at Coe about the same time. I’ll look forward to seeing more of the GGG “regulars” and new folks as well.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s a bit of a long drive but I plan to attend unless a nasty variant pops up.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

My GGG mug is now ornamental only after finally losing a battle against a slab of granite (I put it back together, but it’s no longer fully water tight or food safe). Alas! It accompanied me on many trips and carries a strong sentimental value. The workmanship and artistry is masterful.

I…er…certainly wouldn’t be upset to see another batch! Either way, would be great to see Craig and the other Southerners again :)

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@rubmybelly: Here I was, feeling all butt-hurt that you said you’d only come because Jane would :-(     And this is the latest BPL name for Doug? Of course I’m looking forward to seeing you too.

@WISNER!: Have you tried using a UL ceramic foam, similar to something like aircrete?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

@WISNER!: Have you tried using a UL ceramic foam, similar to something like aircrete?

That sounds very 21st century. For better or worse, I’m still pretty stuck on mud and fire ala ~30,000 BCE.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Wait a minute, I don’t remember you showing up in pelts and hides, or starting fire by rubbing sticks together… And cell phones don’t usually work there, but I’m not sure the Park will allow smoke signals.

Hmmm….if you make helium bubbles instead of air bubbles in the ceramic, it could be weightless!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools