Topic

PS NorCal GGG 2022 April 15-16-17

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips PS NorCal GGG 2022 April 15-16-17

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

/me wonders if I can just eat danish cookies for the whole trip

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

If parking near Coe Headquarters miraculously fills up, you can always park cheaper at Hunting Hollow.

It’s only about an hour’s drive plus 12 miles hiking :-)

— Rex

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Can’t wait!
    T minus 6 days.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Come one, come all! Bring your friends and relatives too. Good people, fun activities and tongue-in-cheek “competitions,” great gear to geek out over. We’re going to have blast.

We can start going in at 2:00 p.m. on Friday. Weather forecast is mostly good, but 10% chance of rain predicted so bring rain gear just in case. I will bring in enough water for everyone. I’ll be bringing my purpose-built competition rigs for the wood and alcohol burn-offs so bring your A game.

Looking forward to this coming weekend. It’s been far too long since we gear geeks gathered.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I have lots of free stuff to give away too. Multiple stove adapters from Jon Fong of Flat Cat Gear, 3D printed UL fishing reel and whistles, one of my world-class UL saws. I think I have enough that everyone will receive something if they want.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

As you hike around Henry Coe State Park, you might see the rusting remains of large cages. I believe these were traps set for wild pigs, aka feral boars or swine. You might also see (as I have) damaged trails or acres of torn up land that looks rototilled.

Unfortunately those baited cages didn’t work, and you might run across a prodigious pack of pigs. The adults can be aggressive, so stay away.

Good story in the LA Times about non-native wild pigs tearing up California, and much of the United States:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-04-01/feral-pigs-ravage-california-wildlands-suburbs-hunting

Hunting seems to be the only solution, but hunting is prohibited in Coe and many other public lands. Plus this snippet from the story, about the unfortunate role some hunters play:

As one Texas A&M author noted in a publication about pigs: “The USDA estimates the feral swine population in the United States is spreading at a rate of 55 to 70 miles per hour … in the back of trucks and trailers.”

Be careful out there.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I once came across a family of javelinas while running in the hills behind Ft. Huachuca, which I had been warned could be quite nasty. Fortunately they ignored me.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

We can’t even bow or spear hunt the pesty porkers? They charge a ton for wild boar in restaurants. Since they are an invasive species that humans introduced the least we can do is try to control their population. I mean, holy moly, sexually mature at 3 months, 4 litters per year, up to 18 piglets per litter, with the females from each litter doing the same?!?! They eat anything and everything, displace and consume natural flora and fauna, and tear the place apart in the process. I’ve seen entire steep slopes up near by Lake Sonoma, acre after acre, that I thought had been rototilled. There thousands and thousands of acres in Texas that were farms turned into endless wallows.

But back to Rex’s point, I wonder if bear spray works on them? Bright flashlight in the face? Whistles? Looking big and yelling?

FWIW I’ve never seen one at a GGG since I started going back in 2013 or ’14, and I’ve never seen one anywhere when camping or hiking. (Only when hunting invasive wild turkeys do I see pigs. And only when hunting pigs to I see turkeys. Damn birds are smart and tough too, and when they’re in season the toms will come after you if get in their way!)

So while it is possible, I think it’s extraordinarily unlikely. Rex – do you agree?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Won’t come after you for no reason, but don’t threaten them, even stare-downs. They’re unlikely to move just because you want them to. Avoid and go around.

Never seen wild pigs at GGG or any “frontcountry” part of Coe like trailheads or the camps near headquarters. Sometimes in the backcountry, particularly around lakes reservoirs, where rooting is more productive.

Agree – don’t tangle with turkeys either. I’ve seen big flocks along Coe trails many times. They share attitudes with their invasive porcine friends.

— Rex

Bud
    BPL Member

@vbud

We can start going in at 2:00 p.m. on Friday

Meaning we can start setting up camp then or shouldn’t arrive at the trailhead until then?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

If you’re checked in you can start hiking in at 2:00 pm. The trailhead is about 50 feet from the ranger station.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Almost time! Here is the relevant info in one place, plus a few reminders.

We gather at Henry W. Coe State Park, due east of Morgan Hill. This year we are in Manzanita Point Group Site #7, which is a few hundred feet further and on the left side of the dirt road, instead of Site #5 as in previous years. We can start hiking in at 2:00 p.m. on Friday. It’s about 2.5 miles from the trailhead at the Ranger Station to the site. Bicycles are allowed.

Water, firewood, TP, latrine lighting and hand sanitizer will be provided, as well as all supplies required for the various burn offs except canisters.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>No food storage is available.</span> There are no bears and no bear cans required, but there are plenty of other critter friends who could cause problems. Recommend everyone either bring a bear can, a cookie/popcorn tin a la DavidT, or hang your food about a foot below a head-high branch to keep the small ones out.

Gear swap in the lower parking lot as we leave on Sunday, starting around 12 noon.

Events will include:

• Demonstrations of various skills, such as knot tying, tarp pitching, hammock hanging, first aid, alcohol stove fabrication
    • Shelter/sleep system tour
    • Wood stove burn-off for speed
    • Alcohol burn-offs for speed and efficiency
    • Esbit burn-offs for speed and efficiency
    • Canister stove burn-offs for speed and efficiency
    • “Filter-off” – total time to gather one liter of fresh water from a “pond” (bucket) and filter it
    • Fastest saw under 5 oz. to cut through a douglas fir 2×2
    • Lightest fishing reel
    • Lightest complete cook kits for alcohol, esbit, wood, and canister (stove, pot, lid, windscreen, fuel container, source of ignition, and stuff sack/container)
    • Lightest saw capable of cutting through a douglas fir 2×2 in less than 2 minutes
    • Lightest knife with at least a 1.5″ blade

Prizes to be awarded and cool stuff to be given away include:

Cool gear from Jon Fong at Flat Cat Gear:

• 2 Epicurean SS UL15 Esbit stoves
    • 2 Ocelot HX kits to mate Fire Maple Hornet/Wasp 300T or equivalent stove (Olicamp Ion/Kraku/Fire Midge) to pots by Sterno Inferno/Fire Maple 1 L/Bulin 1.5L/JetBoil Stash
    • 1 Ocelot HX kit for Pocket Rocket Deluxe & PR2
    • 1 Ocelot HX kit for Pocket Rocket

3D printed UL Swag from Matthew K:

• 4 whistles
    • fishing reel

And last but not least, one of my world-class GOLD Gear UL saws.

Anything not awarded as a prize will be available for whoever wants it.

See you soon :-)

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Rick Niemi,
    Left you a personal message a day or so ago.
    Jane B.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

I think #7 is a really good site.  It sits on top of a flat knoll and keeps dry.  Plenty of room to set up within the trees, albeit oaks with potential dead limbs.  The picnic tables are user friendly.  Cool spot.  ~RL

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Have fun everybody. I had hoped to join you but it’s not going to happen this time. I look forward to seeing photos!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Andrea and I are going to miss you. Looking forward to the photos and contest results. Other than a little rain Saturday AM, it looks like you’ll have very nice weather. Have a great time!

Bud
    BPL Member

@vbud

I guess I’m the first one here! I think the backpacking parking is full now, so they will start redirecting to the lot 0.5 miles away from the visitor center. Looking forward to meeting people!

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

The weather slowed my trip, had to reroute to avoid it. It was a two week business road trip, this event was going to be at the end of it. All the snow during the trip made it apparent it would be hard to get there.

Steve S.
    BPL Member

@wildegeek

Drat, folks. :-(

I somehow missed this forum thread. I would have joined the party all weekend if I had noticed this at least a week before. I saw David’s vehicles going out this morning as I started a 15 mile volunteer foot patrol.

Thanks to David for keeping the flame alive. I’ll be more proactive next year!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Thanks so much for David to organize once again a GGG and thank you to everyone who came and made it such a fun event. Time flew by incredible fast and I didn’t even notice it was already 1 am this morning when we had all those interesting discussions around the campfire. These photos are giving only a partial impression as I snapped only a couple and didn’t take photos of the wood burning stoves or the tarp tents after the rain.

Saturday morning after the rain ended we got a ladybug visitor :)The rain is gone and a ladybug visits

View from Manzanita Point:View from Manzanita Point

Coyote Creek:Coyote Creek

The turkeys were extremely active. We constantly heard their gobbling and every time we saw a hen pass by there was at least one tom in pursuit.

Turkey

The wildflowers in Henry Coe were nice :

The rain is gone and a ladybug visits

After some of us hiked Saturday afternoon it was time for the ‘Geek’ part of the GGG.  Rex had brought different battery banks and shared his insights freely. Thankfully he had charged them before coming and we could all keep our gadgets charged over the weekend.

Battery Banks

I enjoyed going once again to a GGG and catching up with everyone. Although we were a tiny crowd (I guess it being Easter didn’t help attendance)  compared to prior years it was a lot of fun!

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Like Matthew I was following along and hoping I could make a last minute decision to drive up from San Diego, but it just wasn’t in the cards for Easter weekend.  At least I have a new location to look at for a future getaway.   Anywhere that has flowing water this summer will be of interest.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

It was great to see everyone and a good time was had by all. Friends old and new. After a chilly and rainy (low 40’s and 0.5″ of much needed precipitation) Saturday morning 2-11 AM the sun came out and it warmed up nicely. Whatever got moist during the AM was soon dry and it was a beautiful day. Sunday AM condensation was pretty heavy, but again the sun took care of that and we were blessed with another beautiful day. Looking forward to reports and photos by others as well.

Thanks Manfred for the car pool and trip report. Too bad you missed the Burn Off!

Thanks Rex for the battery review and samples. Looks like Nitecore is the way to go if you can get them.

Thanks Valjean for bringing down the average age by 20 years.

Thanks Rick for destroying me in the wood Burn Off. A new bar was set and a new champion crowned. Enjoy your UL 3D printed fishing reel from Matthew K. We will meet again at the Grudge Death Match that I have scheduled for next year.

Thanks Matthew for the X-Mid tour. Welcome to the joys of child-raising.

My Pocket Tarp was in danger of being attacked by these two lusty toms:

There’s a bird nest, hatchlings, and mama bird in this hole. Really. I watched mom and dad bring tasty grubs and worms in all day. Until I wanted to take their picture.

Looking forward to next year. I’ll announce it sooner and pay more attention to the calendar so I don’t schedule it for a holiday weekend.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

As part of the tiny and very geeky 2022 GGG crowd, I had a great time. Nearly non-stop fascinating conversations during all waking hours, on topics ranging from backpacking gear to computer operating systems to cultural differences between countries. The first GGG in years where I did not take any photos or videos.

And thanks again to David G for making it happen, on many levels.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The weather was not boring. From the Cordoza Ridge station nearby on the next ridge west:

Saturday’s high temp about 52 °F, low temp Sunday morning about 39 °F.

Just over 0.7 inches rain Saturday; 0.1 inches forecast.

Wind gusts over 60 mph mid-day Saturday.

A variety of ponchos and raingear came out on Saturday. Good thing we didn’t put up an overhead tarp. But a good time had by all!

— Rex

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Looks like a good time was had by all.  Perhaps the GGG is a one a year thing, but I see no harm no foul for a plain ‘ol GTG a coupla two three times a year?  Maybe I’ll post a Shout Out thread on the Hiking Partners/Group Trips forum.  It could be on going.  Maybe I’m thinking too hard.  That being said, I couldn’t make it to the GGG but I’m planning on heading there from Sun-Thur of next week.  Just sayin’.  ~RL

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools