Topic

Flame "Orange" Wars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Flame "Orange" Wars

Viewing 2 posts - 126 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Kevin R
    BPL Member

@kevinr

Bruce and Kattt, I think you make some good points.  There can be a tendency to separate humans from “nature” and criticize any influence we might have on other species or organisms.  I think that we as humans have just as much right as a bear or raccoon to travel through undeveloped areas and are in fact part of the world’s ecosystems.

Of course, there is some valid criticism about the oversized impact we have had on the environment through our development of various technologies/industrialization, etc.  I believe we have a moral imperative to reduce that impact as much as possible.  Nothing wrong with seeking a better quality of life through development, but when our wants start to cause irreparable damage to the environment, we need to rethink how we are going about things.

I do think there is a lot of value to preserving some landscapes in as undeveloped state as possible, especially so that we can share a sliver of our ancestors’ experience with future generations.  Yes, I think kids can take to the outdoors pretty well by themselves.  But, I think there are some lessons that might benefit from a little teaching.  For example, taking children somewhere in the outdoors that they can experience complete solitude and explaining that this was an experience relatively available to humans for the majority of our history (sure, many people lived in cities, but opportunities for this are decreasing compared to the past).  Whether they like that kind of solitude or not, it’s good for all of us to at least have the opportunity to experience it.  And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that if I hike ten miles into the woods, especially in a federally designated Wilderness Area, I should have a good chance of experiencing that kind of solitude, the sort where you see no trace of man as far as the eye can see, except for maybe a thin trail which could just as likely be from another animal.  That’s the sort of experience that explorers had for millennia, and sure, weekend warrior backpacking isn’t an exact replication, but it at least gives a little insight into their lives.

Also to reiterate, I’m not sure about the controversy around LNT…it’s based on both historical experience and the most current scientific research, and is accepted and promoted by the majority if not nearly all federal and state land management agencies and has been for quite some time.  Part of that scientific research is studying different ways that it can be communicated to result in the greatest adoption by the public, but I don’t think that makes it count as just “buzz words”.  I believe that LNT is here to stay, and while some of it is currently only “guidelines”, without widespread adherence I could foresee more and more of it becoming law as increased usage of public lands threatens to degrade agencies’ intended experiences for the public.  We are already seeing that with fire bans, camping zone restrictions, and backcountry permits.  One of the main differences between LNT and law is that LNT tries to communicate why a person should or shouldn’t want to do something, while law simply tells you to do or don’t do a given thing.  I think there is more overlap between LNT and law than people realize, especially when considering things like camping zones and mandatory set backs from trails and water sources.  I worked as a backcountry ranger for a season, and always started with LNT to explain to someone why they shouldn’t be doing something, but if they disregarded that, there was no shortage of laws with hefty fines to support the LNT principles.  As I stated earlier, with less people <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>visible</span> out there, more people can share the same amount of space without any effect on their experience.

Also, as far as colors go, I would agree that no “one rule fits all”.  Oranges and reds certainly could fit in with the landscape during autumn, white in the winter snow.  Selecting colors to fit in with the environment and season has the potential to add a fun twist to trip planning, and helps us be more conscious of our surroundings.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Well, this was a fun thread. I get the impression some more longtimers have bailed on BPL during my hiatus but others are still chugging along.

I afford my big ticket fancy items by getting them used and on sale, which means I get the color I get. I have a lovely coyote brown tarp which clashes nicely with my bright yellow puffy and neon green windbreaker. I hate the color gray for shelters, which I actually made a thread about eons ago. Brown is a warmer color and much nicer to lie under imo. I was lucky to find the tarp I wanted in a color I wanted. I did order a quilt in colors I wanted once. Black exterior and yellow interior. I can turn it inside out to be annoying if I choose.

The LNT practices I do that probably matter the most are picking up others’ trash and using my MYO cathole digger that can actually handle rocks and roots.

It can be helpful to think about what objectives you have in limiting your impact and see if your behaviors are in line with those. The opening post specifically mentioned camps in photo op places and the use of bright tents in those. I sort of doubt anyone here engages in that specific sort of performativity with deliberately hi-vis gear. Most of us are focused on getting out more with the gear we have, and most of us are probably considerate if we camp in an area where others may also be. But if a tempest in a thread isn’t part of BPL culture, what is?

Viewing 2 posts - 126 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools