Topic

First time camera buyer needs your help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography First time camera buyer needs your help

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Holly Miller
    Spectator

@holly_miller

Locale: SF - Bay Area

I have dabbled in photography – but not digital. I would love to get some advise on buying a camera for the trail because my iPhone just doesn’t cut it.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I carry a camera but am not what you would call into photography. Last year I bought a used Canon S95, well rated for image quality, decent in low light and a very good size for carrying in a pocket. It has worked well for me and was a reasonable price for what I needed, though a lot of folk here take their photography much more seriously than that.With all the choices available and levels you can shoot at hopefully you will hear from others about their cameras before this thread gets lost in the gear swap clutter.

Holly Miller
    Spectator

@holly_miller

Locale: SF - Bay Area

Thanks George!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Holly, you will get a much better answer if you can provide some details like: budget (you can spend from less than 100 to thousands), what kind of shots you like to take… macro, action (flying birds?), night sky?, use in the rain?, point n shoot or creative photography?, etc…

Billy

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

There are so many camera options, it all depends on your priorities and preferences.

What are your photography goals? How will your photos be used (website, social media, large prints)? What type of subject matter do you shoot most? How important is camera weight versus versatility?

It might be easier to first narrow your search to what class of camera you want: a pocket camera, a “normal sized” point and shoot (compact) camera, an interchangeable lens range finder, or a full fledged interchangeable lens SLR.

A great website for reviews and buying guides for cameras is http://www.dpreview.com/

If you’re a backpacker who is weight conscious an want better quality than an iPhone, then depending on your budget, an advanced zoom compact might meet your immediate needs, and then some. Whatever you buy, if you want “better” image quality, invest in a tripod of some sort – for many shots this has a huge impact on image quality. And also invest in a few good books on photographic composition and practice the techniques they describe.

Keep in mind that 95% of picture quality comes from your photographic skills and techniques, not the camera. This is not an exaggeration. If you have a remotely descent camera, then your skills in composition, knowledge of lighting and familiarity with your camera system far outweigh the impact of your camera on picture quality.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 to what Lester said above.

+1 also to the recommendation of the Canon S95 and its successors. It is relatively affordable, has internal vibration reduction, is very lightweight and has all the control of a SLR.  Alan Dixon on his web site Adventure Alan says the best camera for backpacking is the one that you will actually use. For many, that means a camera that fits in your pocket. A lot of people on backpackinglight love the Sony RX100. I have no experience with this camera but there are many reviews here and on the B&H Photo web site. The new ones are not cheap but you can buy last year’s model at about 40% off.

If you want the flexibility of interchangeable lenses and a long zoom for wildlife photography, I would suggest you look at the Micro 4/3 cameras and lenses from Panasonic and Olympus. The entry level Olympus Pen series and the Olympus OMD EM10 are very competitively priced.  Olympus lowered the price of the EM10 mark 1 when they brought out the EM10 mark 2 and is currently offering additional rebates at B&H and elsewhere.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I have the Sony WX350.  Very small and light (under 6 oz).  Excellent photos.  It has an “intelligent” mode that takes good photos even when zoomed in.  The newer version is the Sony WX500.  About $300 US. I’ll PM you a link to a photo gallery.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

If you’re not sure what you’re after but have been using an iPhone up to this point, you may want to look at some of the point and shoot cameras that have been recommended plus a couple others.

Right now my primary camera for backpacking is an A6000 mirrorless interchangable lens camera.  It’s a great camera at a great price.  Its worth considering but I will caution you, opening yourself up to multiple lens options is a Pandora’s Box of sorts.  I’ve been buying and chasing lenses since I bought this camera.  It really never ends for me.  I enjoy it but if you buy a point and shoot camera, you’re done.

A couple thoughts on features to look for:

If you’re looking for something to capture landscape shots and snapshots on the trail, you’re pretty well covered with most P&S cameras.  If you want to add astrophotography, star trails, low light capabilities, the herd begins to thin.

Any of the RX100s are worth considering, but the RX100iii hits a sweet spot in features and price.  The RX100iv has 4K video and a couple other features, but may not be worth an almost $300 penalty over version iii if you don’t plan on shooting a lot of video.  Any variation of this camera has a 1″ sensor, which for me, is the smallest I’d care to go.  This camera and others listed below with the possible exception of the S100 family are capable of taking star shots.

The Ricoh GR and GR2 have an APS-C sized sensor which is larger than the RX100.  It has a cult following for a reason as it is paired with a sharp lens, has great image quality and it’s simplicity gives it a zen like quality.  The down side is that you are working with a fixed focal length and have no zoom.  It’s reasonably wide at 28mm but it would appeal to me more if it was just a bit wider.  For everything this camera offers, I think it’s a great value at $560.  There is an optional wide angle converter and optical viewfinder.

S100 family has been discussed above.  Not a 1″ sensor but for the money, it’s a great camera and is really popular with a lot of Vlogers for its video.

Now going to interchangable lens cameras.

First of all, the best advice I can give, and if Bob was still here he would certainly agree, find the lenses you want to use first and then figure out what camera you want to put behind them second.

Mirrorless cameras appeal to a lot of backpackers because you can get a 1″ to Full Frame sized sensor in a small package.

From smaller to larger, you have 1″, Micro Four Thirds (m4/3), APS-C, and Full Frame.  For me, APS-C hits a sweet spot in price, size, quality, and affordability but that would take several pages for me to explain my answer further and some will surely disagree.

Nikon sells a waterproof 1″ camera called the V1.  Looks like a nice enough camera but I prefer to shoot manual most of the time so I prefer something where I can quickly adjust aperture and shutter speed, and get to my ISO in a couple clicks if need be.  This camera appears to be a little kludgy to use in full manual so I’ve never really gave it serious consideration.  YMMV.  Lenses are limited.

Panasonic and Olympus, to my knowledge, own the m4/3 market.  Sensor size is smaller than APS C but they have a great selection of lenses.

Sony has both APS-C and full frame mirrorless cameras.  I have the A6000 and think it’s tough to find a better camera for under $650.  The A7 series is full frame and you can find a body only A7i for just under $1000.  A word of caution, full frame lenses will work on APS C bodies but there are very few exceptions where you won’t have issues with vignetting when putting an APS C lens on a full frame body.  It’s also important to note that full frame lenses tend to be larger, heavier, and more expensive than lenses optimized for APS C bodies.  Sony does not have near as many lenses as m4/3 cameras but they continue to release new offerings and are slowly catching up.

Fuji has a well earned reputation for building quality cameras.  I really like the ergonomics of their cameras and if I was only going to take stills, I’d probably jump ship with my Sony and go to Fuji.  Sony has, in my opinion, better video options and is really pushing 4K which I really think is the future of video for a few reasons, so I’m not leaving.  The A6300 that will be released next month will have 4K video, is weather sealed, and a ~ $1000 price tag.  Quite a bit more expensive than the A6000 but I may upgrade for the video.

As lengthy as my response is, there’s much more out there and I haven’t discussed DSLRs at all, which continue to have several advantages over mirrorless.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I have dabbled in photography – but not digital. I would love to get some advise on buying a camera for the trail because my iPhone just doesn’t cut it.

It’s nice to have something waterproof (and also highly dust resistant) if you’re going to be on the trail for several days and want to keep shooting if it’s wet.

For this, something like the Nikon Coolpix AW130 is pretty good. A lot of capability in a small package.

Photo from a very wet trip to Seneca Creek, WV. How wet was it? Well, 2 days earlier that creek was completely dry!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Ian’s post is about as perfect a response as you’re going to get to help you weed through the VAST array of options you have.

And I’ll agree with all the above posters that you need to decide what you are shooting and how you want to shoot it – THEN start looking at cameras.

Nothing at all wrong with a point&shoot, but if you want a step up from your iPhone then that probably means more control, right?

I have both of Sony’s RX100iii and the a6000 and I use the RX100 for my backpacking pix – like Ian I think it is the absolute perfect blend of small size, full control, and image quality.  You can see my photos with it at BackpackerPT Smugmug (the Colorado Trail, the JMT 2014 and the astrophotography were all taken with the RX100).

A quick sample:

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I have the original RX100, that I love.   I’m a bit confused by what upgrades came with the newer editions.    They all still have the same sensor, right?   It looks like a pull-out angled viewscreen came with the -ii,  and the popup viewfinder with the -iii?    Plus some video stuff that I don’t care about.

The only upgrade that I’d really like is the popup viewfinder, as it’s hard to see the screen in bright sunlight.   But it seems like there’s a 70% price bump an added 2.5oz and a less compact camera to get that.

Honestly, if I were to buy again, I think I might still go for the original model.    The sensor’s the big thing that gets you great pictures.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Is anyone still shooting with an “old” Sony RX 100 camera? Because the price on these used is around $200, I’m very tempted to pick one up and skip the 100 III and 100 IV to save several hundred bucks. It would fit well in quality between our low-end Nikon AW 120 waterproof and my D7100 DSLR, and weigh much less. Seems like for $200, the RX 100 can’t be beat for image quality (noise and dynamic range at lowest ISO setting, for landscapes) and latitude for pulling detail out of shadows in RAW mode with Lightroom.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The lenses have changed.  The iii is 24mm at the wide end, i & ii are 28mm.  Doesn’t sound like much but that’s a huge plus for me as 90% of my shots are with a wide angle lens and 28mm is a little bit tighter than what I care for.

Version ii has a hot shoe.  This is the only camera of the four that has an option for an audio input upgrade over the built in mic.

I bought a RX100i as an open box item from Best Buy but had to return it the same week due to issues with the lens cover sticking.  From my limited experience with it, it was a great camera and I’d own one again.  I use my viewfinder a lot and like having the ability to move the screen when taking shots low to the ground or above my head.  I also see a lot of value with 4K video capabilities.  So for me, the iv is worth the money and I’m waiting to see what version v offers (hopefully audio input).

If you don’t need a wider lens than 28mm or any of the other features mentioned, definitely save yourself some money and get version i or ii.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

Agree with other posts about needing to narrow down what your budget and shooting style is.

Having said that, if highly recommend the Olympus cameras as you have a choice of weather sealed or not and budget between 300 to 1200 with many lens options.

However, if you’d be happy with a fixed lens, the Ricoh GR and others are smaller, lighter, and thus more likely to get used.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Did a lot of recent homework on this same question. I’ll frame choices in terms of your needs, with a few suggestions, most of which have been mentioned here except for the superzoom Panasonic FZ1000. I had the opportunity to ask friends who have used several of these cameras side by side, consulted photography site reviews and comparisons, looked at sample photos and had the opportunity to handle and try some of these.

1) If you want an all-in-one with a built-in telephoto for wildlife, concerts and events, a superzoom could be a good choice. The FZ1000 is the best option I could find now and a good value. Lighter than carrying an interchangeable lens camera with multiple lenses and faster than having to change lenses.

2) If you don’t need a large telephoto, Sony RX100IV or III are excellent for portraits and landscape and very light and compact. The Sony RX100IV has remarkable video capability for its small size. Love the Sony RX100 series. The Canon S95-120 series cameras are also very good and a great value. I loved my old Canon S95. Roger and others have also said nice things about the Canon G16, and I liked my old G5.

3) For a larger sensor in a compact body with interchangeable lenses, Sony A6000, A6300 and competitors like the Panasonic GH4. The GH4 will have more powerful video capabilities and more compatible lenses available in the market, but the A6300 will have excellent video capabilities and more lenses are coming out. I really like the A6000 series and the new lenses include a very nice 70-200 telephoto and 1.4x and 2x telephoto extender lenses. The A6300 and new Sony lenses don’t come cheap, but they are really nice and the telephoto is quite compact for its reach.

Andrew Schuerr
    Spectator

@wooksquatch

Locale: Lake Geneva, WI

I have a canon S100 and love the ability to control that the canon S series offers as well as it truly being a pocket sized camera.  The major drawback of this camera is battery life, even after changing the settings to use less battery this camera tends to drain the battery rapidly a spare or two is definitly in order.  I have no experience with the newer generations of this camera so can’t say anything about the battery life of the updated models.

I currently shoot almost everything with my iphone, I have the Shoulderpod for it that attaches to a monopod or the top of some hiking poles, also functions as a stand and grip for the phone.  Shipping weight from online retailers shows 0.6 oz i haven’t weighed it but would if anyone wanted to know the actual weight of the product.

I have purchased a few used cameras online from KEH (not affiliated) and have never had a bad experience.  The camera’s are rated by them and their descriptions tend to be accurate.  I bought a Nikon N90S that listed a scratch on the body and it was exactly as described.  I bought this from them in 1998 and it is still alive and kicking, still my favorite camera I own.  I am constantly searching for the best deal on a used Fuji X100 (S / T / whatever) my current dream camera.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

S100 battery life: My recollection is that was caused by the GPS tagging which successive S series dropped. My S95 battery works fine.

Holly has not commented on her goals. But I guess I have a questions for those who own cameras without view finders. Can you manually focus through the LCD even in bright light?

I owned many different film SLRs and then jumped to Canon DSLRs in the Rebel series. I was always disappointed in the dimness and 80% coverage of the view finder but did not want the expense and weight of the Canon pro bodies (even though I collected a bunch of pro quality L glass over the years). The kit was so heavy that for backpacking and even longer day hikes, I just took my Canon S95 or Canon G11.  Then I discovered Olympus micro 4/3 with live view.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

One thing to consider if you need weather sealing AND good IQ AND have a low budget:

Olympus OMD-EM5s are like the Toyota 4×4 of mirrorless cameras and are very cheap on eBay, having been superseded by new models. The micro 4/3 lens format (both Olympus and Panasonic) means more used lenses available too, at lower prices. And the lenses are lighter, since the image stabilization is built into the camera body.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools