Topic

Down the Evazote rabbit hole and other load hauler pack questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down the Evazote rabbit hole and other load hauler pack questions

Viewing 2 posts - 101 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Thomas –

Thanks for the link to the Zpacks copy. That guy sure has awesome construction skills! As you say, it does seem over-complicated but there are some interesting ideas there.

The big trick is going to be making an adaptable pack that is also simple and failsafe. I can see potential points of failure on that pack.

Here’s an interesting mini-documentary showing local pack-maker Tom Gale of Atom Packs putting a pack together. I bumped into him in the hills recently (he’s extremely tall and hard to miss!) and got a standing invite to drop by and see how they operate. Now I’m double-vaccinated I think I’ll take up the offer. Very nice guy, and his packs are very well reviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZajEMBX_U

We call those bolts “connector bolts” but the cyclists call them “sex bolts” or “mating bolts”. Overactive imaginations – too much time sitting on those narrow saddles…

Thomas H
    Spectator

@bandittheone

I will say that every time I make a pack with removable or modular components you lose quite a lot of simplicity and add additional failure points. You also lose aesthetic and functional elegance. I once made a pack covered in daisy chains that even the shoulder straps attached to. Lots of failure points and ugly. I definitely don’t like McHale’s water bottle pockets for example, but he has lots of well designed modularity on other parts of his packs that are elegant.

The shoulder harness I have on my prototype is similar to the Seekoutside system with ladder locks up top, metal tri glides attached to the harness along with irritatingly long pieces of webbing(irritating in both resources and weight) and plastic Nexus ITW looplocs on the bottom. Every time I pick up 50lbs in the pack I am worried about the loop locs failing, but this is probably completely unwarranted, just like how ladder locks can take hundreds of lbs I’m sure this military grade looploc can take it too. I would probably replace them with aluminum or steel loops instead just for piece of mind. Another point of concern with the adjustable back system is it can rub against your back, which is why many of these packs have back/upper back pads. I prefer to not have to have any pad if I don’t have to.

Another point about the harness is it will prevent you from setting it to certain torso heights or shoulder strap heights. For example, if you wanted to do the slight upward upward angle(instead of load lifters) the neck of the yoke would completely prevent this.

That Atom Packs also makes a well reviewed framed pack called the ‘Mo’, but there aren’t too many details on their site. You should check out their shop and ask specifically about the framed pack design.

Viewing 2 posts - 101 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!