Topic

Down Jacket choice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down Jacket choice

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Thomas G
    BPL Member

@tomgattiker

Hi

I am trying to decide on a down sweater with a hood.  I am looking at the patagonia down sweater hoodie and the REI Magma 850 (hooded).  This is for backcountry skiing (alpine touring) and backpacking in southern/centeral Idaho mostly.

Patagonia weighs 15 ounces.  REI 12 ounces. (both actual weights on my scale)

Patagonia 800 power down, untreated.  REI 850 power, treated.

Patagonia fill wt 3.7 ounces.  REI 4.2 ounces

The cuts on both are super similar.  And both seem similar in terms of being made with certified materials in certified factories.

Even though I like to support patagonia since I like what they stand for, it seems like the REI product is the better choice, since it is lighter but with more down.  And it is 60 bucks cheaper.  Am I missing something?  (Is treated down significantly heavier than untreated down)

Thanks

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

I’ve been researching down sweaters as well, so I thought some feedback from me might help, but I am not directly familiar with either garment.

Perhaps like me, you are suspicious about REI delivering a down sweater with 4 oz of 850 fill, treated down at that weight and price point. Getting to 12 oz with 4 oz of down does not appear to be especially difficult with careful material and feature selection.

The only REI Magma jacket I am seeing on REI’s web page is a women’s version on sale at a great price ($110). if $$ is a concern, that appears like a superb value on paper.

REI apparently isn’t publishing the fill weight, but the Q&A section references fill of around 4 ounces – one indirect reference to Switchback travel (which I wouldn’t rely on simply because it is indirect) and another estimate apparently directly from an REI respondent, indicating about 3.9 oz.  But they do not quote the down type or fill power in that same response, but the product description states 850 fill.  Made in Vietnam, so maybe they can pull off the technical specs at those price points…. Plus, Switchback travel is reporting the venerable Ghost Whisperer 2 as weighing 8.5 ounces with 3 oz of 800 fill…so if MH can do that, you’d think REI could achieve 12 oz with 4 oz fill.  Big difference in pricing though….

I believe in handling garments.  As an example,  I actually bought (ordered)  a high end down parka from Feathered Friends once that was loaded with pinfeathers.  Buyer beware.  If the fill seems good, and you carefully feel the down throughout and are satisfied about how the down feels and what the loft appears to be, along with fit and features, then I would suggest you consider the REI.

Unless you re-sell your clothing, you will, or should be,  “stuck” with a down garment for a long time so you might as well like it…. It shouldn’t wear out like a synthetic jacket.  My down stuff lasts forever….

You might look at something like this as a more expensive frame of reference for “what is possible”:

https://backpackinglight.com/goosefeet-down-sweater-review-first-looks/

REI Magma: Here is an excerpt from the REI Q&A section:

lilbaer
    · a month ago
    What is the fill weight for this jacket? Also, does it have a DWR coating on it in case it starts raining/snowing?
    1answer

Answer the question
    REIservice
    · a month ago

The approximate fill weight is 3.9 oz. and the face fabric is treated with a DWR.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Montbell Alpine Light Parka/Hoody.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25147&p_id=2301366&gen_cd=1

I have both the Patagonia Down Sweater and the Montbell Alpine Light Jacket. The Montbell is warmer and lighter. Also, I won’t own treated down if at all possible.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

What @bradmacmt said.  I suggest any parka/jacket Montbell makes that suits your fancy. I currently own the Alpine Light parka, Plasma 1000 parka and UL down pants…love them all. Have owned several others over the past 2 decades and loved every one, replacing them only as I learned more about myself and honed my cold-weather skills.

The MB down guide has proven to be dead accurate and invaluable for helping select the right piece.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

My MB Alpine Light parka has 10 years of service and still going strong.  Nearly 5 oz of 800 fill and just a little over 12 oz- tough to beat imo.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Montbell…YES!

I have their “Superior Down Parka” and “Alpine light parka.” Love them both!

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I wish they would make the Alpine Light Down Parka in XXl.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Sorry, I forget that to show the sizes you have to pick the color and they do in the black.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

black is what I rock :)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I would almost say spend the extra $50 and take the extra 2.2 oz in weight for the 2.2 oz in down for the Alpine Down Parka.  It would be a much warmer jacket and one that you could use in a wider range downward.

I am thinking about getting one but then again I already have my OR Virtuoso that does not get a lot of usage and this only save me about 6 ounces.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Why not just buy them both; try them on; and then return whichever you like least?

I’m a big Patagonia fan as well but it does seem their logo might be 2what justifies the price difference…

And while you’re at it, have you given any thought to EE Torrid? I love mine and am never gong back to down!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Torrid is a nice light syn jacket (I own one), if that’s all you need for insulation it’s a great choice, but mine is reserved for “summer”.

He mentions backcountry skiing and for winter, nowhere near in the warmth class as the MB Alpine Light parka.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Big fan of Montbell jackets here too, great cost/function/quality ratio IMO. Thermawrap for general use, Alpine Light for colder weather. I have the jacket version which I pair with a modified BPL Cocoon Hood when needed.  +2 for black. You’ve got impeccable taste Mike. ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

sometimes winter camp decorum simply dictates black to be worn :)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m kinda digging the “Dark Forest” :)

Were I buying, I might have to go there.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’m kinda digging the “Dark Forest” :)

Were I buying, I might have to go there.

sure if you’re going for the casual thing, most of my winter camping calls for formal wear

:)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I am formally digging the Dark Forest.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Someone over on Reddit created this down jacket guide to help filter through all of the options. He has further explanation on his website. I’ve found it to be a pretty useful tool.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Lok at LL Bean’s “Ultralight 850 Down Jacket” They come in a hood version too. $249. for Regular sizes S toXXL. Tall sizes are M too XXL.at $259.

I’m 5′ 10″ and I’d get tall for the extra coverage.

Bean’s quality iw excellent.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

You need to try them on. I find most Patagonia jackets/sweaters to be extremely baggy.

I will also put in a plug for Arcteryx Cerium SL, which is one of my favorite insulated layers when not active. Although perhaps you are looking for a warmer layer in which case the Cerium LT might work from you (I’ve never owned the latter so I can’t vouch for it personally). I have had very good luck with Arcteryx and the fit and sizing works really well for me. Just buy them on sale.

Honestly, I’m not sure I’m clear on the desired use, since I never wear down while skiing, and certainly not while skinning. Maybe you want something to wear at night after skiing while cooking and setting up your tent?

The idea of MB seems great in terms of features (not over-done) and pricing, but I find the fit terrible and the quality so-so, although I realize that many people swear by them. Fortunately we have a MB retail store in town, so I can just go try on the clothing and decide not to buy it.  :-)

Thomas G
    BPL Member

@tomgattiker

Dan, I live in Idaho.  No way I’d go BC skiing without a down layer for transitions (and a just in case layer in case I have to stop for an emergency)

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Dan, I live in Idaho.  No way I’d go BC skiing without a down layer for transitions (and a just in case layer in case I have to stop for an emergency)

Got it. Just shows how gear and conditions vary by location. Granted, you’re probably a lot more hard-core than me. At this point in my life, if it’s not getting above zero F, I don’t bother going out. I can just wait until tomorrow. ;-)

Edit: I just realized that I do have a Cerium LT that I mainly use as an around-town parka for super cold days. I’ve never taken it on a BC day-trip, but I have taken it on hut trips. I feel like it’s much warmer than my Patagonia down sweater. But that could be partly because the fit is so much better.

Thomas G
    BPL Member

@tomgattiker

Bean is practically giving those jackets away right now!  But they are 18 ounces for the hooded.

Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

I recommend the Uniqlo hooded down sweater.  Untreated down, 12 oz total, $69.  WAY cheaper than REI or Patagonia (they are all made in China).

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

How is the sizing  and fit on the Uniqlo jacket? They use some pretty skinny young guys for models and they seem to wear things snug too.

Patagonia coats usually have great fit with good freedom of movement in the upper back and shoulders and no excess around the waist.

The REI down jacket I tried on seemed pretty shapeless.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools