One of the topics I’m exploring in 2020 is fastpacking, and Goosefeet Gear agreed to take on the challenge of making an insulated top that pushed the limits of warmth while maintaining a weight that was as low as possible. Therein lies the motivation behind this particular down-insulated sweater.
Here’s a brief video overview:
View this post on Instagram
@goosefeetgear custom down sweater, 5.6 oz with 2.75 oz 950fp down, 8d fabrics, deep neck zip, and 1″ of loft – visit backpackinglight.com after June 20, 2020 for our article with more details and info. – #backpackinglight #ultralightbackpacking #backpackinggear #lightweightbackpacking #goosefeetgear #downjacket
- insulated hand warmer pass-through pocket
- upright collar
- neck zipper
- elastic hem and cuffs (drawcord adjustable hem)
- weight: 5.83 oz (166 g)
- fabrics: 8d nylon ripstop (0.63 osy), calendered (charcoal gray exterior, brick red interior)
- down fill
- fill type: 950 fp 90/10 DownTek ZeroPFC
- fill weight: 2.75 oz (78 g)
- average loft: 1 in (2.5 cm)
- overfill spec: 20%
- baffle width: 2.75 – 3.0 in (7.0 – 7.6 cm)
- type of baffle: sewn-through
- insulated pocket: yes
- approximate jacket size: medium
- zipper length: 18 in (46 cm)
- collar: 2 in (5.1 cm)
- back length: 25 in (64 cm)
- sleeve length: 33 in (84 cm)
- This sweater may be the warmest sub-6 oz (170) insulated garment I’ve ever worn.
- I specified a generous back and sleeve length. I’m pleased about that! The generous sizing makes it a more comfortable garment, especially in cold conditions.
- I specified a slim profile. So as long as I can keep the “Covid 15” away, I can layer this under my rain shell if needed!
- Packed size is tiny, which is perhaps my favorite feature, especially in the context of fastpacking, where I’m using a small (30L) backpack.
- I can fit the sweater easily into a 5 in x 8 in (13 cm x 20 cm) stuff sack, and it could almost certainly go into one a little smaller.
- This is a custom made-to-order product available from Goosefeet Gear. Price and weight may vary depending on custom sizing, materials, and design choices.
- Questions? Hit us up in the forum below, and we’ll do our best to answer them based on our brief experience with this product.
DISCLOSURE (Updated November 7, 2019)
- Product(s) discussed in this article may have been purchased by the author(s) from a retailer or direct from a manufacturer, or by Backpacking Light for the author. The purchase price may have been discounted as a result of our industry professional status with the seller. However, these discounts came with no obligation to provide media coverage or a product review. Backpacking Light does not accept compensation or donated/discounted products in exchange for guaranteed media placement or product review coverage.
- Some (but not all) of the links in this article may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!
- Read about our approach to journalistic integrity, product reviews, and affiliate marketing here.