Topic

Delorme inReach Lock Failure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Delorme inReach Lock Failure

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Abuse. Packed so hard as to crush the casing. User error. I wouldn’t pay either if I were Garmin.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Whoa. Mine activates easily with the lock on as well. It’s never been dropped or abused and his ridden on my shoulder strap for less than 30 nights of hiking.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

We have two inReach units.  While “powered off”, constant moderate pressure on the SOS button activates the SOS process on both, even when the slider button is in the Lock position.

When I first got my inReach, while not in Screen Lock mode, and clipped to an outside pocket with the keyboard facing in, my “pack” managed to move the cursor from Preset to SOS.  I was one random click from sending a SOS. (Clearly “operator error”.)   So I know buttons can inadvertently get pushed.

“Locked” should mean locked.

Thank you Richard for the alert.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Who has more attorneys?  Consumer electronics built to a price point always have  something.

Don’t care for the new version. Perhaps they can get things right eventually.  But I think Roman’s admitted packing issue won’t do him good here.

Any info on how often this happens?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I called Garmin.  CS said “Yep. That’s how it’s designed”.

Here’s my “fix” –

Hard plastic, taped in place, with the tape mis-aligned on the back for easy removal. The SOS button sits in a recess, the plastic sits above/on the shoulder. It will take an iteration or two to get it right. Time will tell if the plastic stays in place or if I’ve made things worse.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I can confirm that mine does this too.

I have to press pretty firmly, but not so hard that I can’t be confident this wouldn’t happen accidentally. My outer plastic screen cover got cracked in my pack once, which surely took more pressure than this takes. Not good.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

yep, mine does it too.  I had to jam it pretty darn hard, using both hands for quite a while to make it happen. Happened with the unit powered OFF.

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

Have a look in the bottom of page 27 in the manual:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/inReach-SE-Manual.pdf

It is one of the ways you can send a SOS.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Gunnar: The manual doesn’t specify, but I don’t think Garmin meant for this SOS method to work when the safety is on. Otherwise, what would be the point of even having a safety? If they really meant for this to be one of the ways to activate an SOS, surely they’d inform the user that they need to push extra hard, or turn off the safety.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The manual doesn’t address the “Lock” slider –

– only that even if it is powered off you can activate a SOS.

Apparently the “Lock” slider just provides 3 seconds of “protection” against inadvertent pressure.

Rachel P
    BPL Member

@ponyespresso

Yeah we’ve had this problem before, but at least we never had a rescue come, I guess there was a way to cancel it. I remember when my daughter was 3 she pressed the button when it was locked. After that I put it where she couldn’t access it! At the time I thought our old Delorme was defective but it sounds like this is actually a “feature”. Its crazy, lock should mean lock.

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

As I understand it not everybody had to push hard, just hold the button, and it seems to be only when turned off it happens. This is all consistent with the manual, so I think it is the intended function.

However I also think they got it seriously wrong when they decided that you don’t have to slide the lock when its turned off. And its almost criminal to fail to mention this “feature” clearly in the manual. But interacting with mankind doesn’t seen to have been Delormes strongest side, given the interface, the buttons and the rest of the manual. But it is still a great product, it works above the polar circle.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

“… and it seems to be only when turned off it happens.”

Nope.

When the device is On (powered up) and the slide is in Lock position, pushing the SOS button for three seconds will activate the SOS function.

Lock should mean lock.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Saying this is what the manual describes is being too generous. If you try to do the second option described in the manual for sending an SOS (with device on, unlock, then press SOS), this option too actually works without unlocking it (as Greg describes). So the lock is simply not doing its job.

If Delorme merely wanted the “lock” to make it harder to press the button, they would have used a stiffer spring under the bottom, not a tab appears to prevent the button from being pressed, but actually doesn’t.

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

OK if the problem occurs for many when turned on as well – that was not my understanding – it is clearly not working in a way consistent with the manual. Not a “feature” then, but a malfunction that far to many of the devices develop. Bad to have, good to know about.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

Whoa.  Definitely not the behavior I would expect.  Next time I use mine I will be taping a guard on the device.  Not hard to do, but unacceptable to have that behavior on such a device.

Jens Hallermann
    BPL Member

@jenhal

Thanks for making me aware of this problem – I found out that my Inreach SE has the same bug…

A cheap and light (8 g) idea: I cut off the lower third of a shampoo flask, it fits perfectly over the buttons and the SOS can’t be triggered as false alarm.

Nice extra feature ;-): The shampoo flask has a flat base, so the InReach can stand alone on the ground with the antenna pointing to the sky.

hth, Jens

PS: Please excuse my English…

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Mine will NOT activate with the lock engaged.

Kenneth Keating
    BPL Member

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

In looking at the Inreach Explorer and Inreach SE manuals I downloaded in 2015, neither mention activating the SOS mode in a powered off scenario.  The Quickstart Guide clearly states to keep the slider in the locked position to prevent false alarms.   I’m wondering if this was not really designed into to the unit, rather it’s a failure mode, and the the manuals later updated to reflect this rather than having to recall the units.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

That’s a great idea! I’ve often stood around holding my Inreach to the sky, wondering why they didn’t make it with a flat base.

P.S. Dein Englisch reicht sehr gut!

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

Frankly, the device has always been crappy. With market this small, probably no hope for it getting better. Especially once Garmin owned it (Garmin is good at finding creative ways to charge money, not so good at innovation and design).

Perhaps the solution is to stop messing with things and get a real Iridium sat phone. They are not that expensive.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

A 9505A is $500.  A monthly subscription for 10 voice minutes and 10 texts is $50

My SE and subscription is less than half of of each of those.

Got a link to some bargains?

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

$50 is comparable to what people spend on a cell phone. The functionality is much more. Many places will require a sat phone, not a communicator anyway (float trips, adventure races).

I see little hope for Garmin to radically improve DeLorme, too few buyers and too little competition.

BTW, based on the look and feel of the DeLorme software, it’s some sort of a crude rip-off of a sat phone firmware. Looks unmistakably similar to the UI of an Iridium phone I had used. There’s probably no code base commonality with anything in house Garmin and probably no hope for improvement. That is, if anybody in the world can even compile this thing. We are stuck with it. Will be glad if I am mistaken.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

I don’t use a cell phone and nothing I do Requires a sat phone.

The inReach is far from perfect but more than adequate for backcountry communications.

My Mileage Does Vary.

[ Interesting time-stamps of these recent posts.  4:47pm on my desktop.]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools