Topic

Daypack mod for carrying Pulaski

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Daypack mod for carrying Pulaski

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

Any ideas for modding my old Lowe Alpine daypack for carrying a Pulaski for trail work?  It has an ice axe loop, but I need something to stabilize it on the top.  I have found a seamstress who can do heavy duty stitching, so that won’t be a problem.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Pics or it (probably) won’t happen :)

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I haven’t heard the name Pulaski for about 40 years (brings back fond memories)!  It’s a great tool, good luck finding your modification.  I agree, showing a picture of a Pulaski will help most people understand your requirements.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

R
    Spectator

@autox

I meant pics of the pack.

In principle, a Pulaski should work just fine w/ a traditional ice axe set up as they’re both a ‘T’ shape.  You just need a loop big enough for the Pulaski head.

If the pack is missing the top strap, just decide what angle you want the handle to cary at and put it there.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Not sure of how large your daypack may be, but I found this photo. Looks like a Pulaski next to the chAinsaw.  A loop in the middle and a loop at the top.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I’d just cut some lengths of webbing and attach a few tension locks to them.  Run the webbing through some part of the pack and then wrap the webbing around the tool, cinch the tension locks and call it good.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Here’s the pack:  a nice old day pack with a beefy suspension.  I think it would be best to carry it upside down, with the pick (and it’s weight) low.  There’s no daisy chain to lash to, so maybe I can get my seamstress to sew on a somewhat heavy strap with a slider…

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

OK, technically its a mattock, not a Pulaski.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Can’t you utilize the compression strap that’s already there?

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

I think it really needs something that will wrap around it and grip, not just stabilize.  Those little loops to the left and right are velcro straps for trekking poles.

R
    Spectator

@autox

That loop at the bottom is too small for that tool.  Here’s how they’re intended to fit:

(Oops: bottom of the pack is to the left, top is to the right) The tool is held head up, the shaft is lowered through the loop, then the shaft is flipped up, wrapping the loop around the head as shown.

Here’s an alternative ‘quick draw’ way to carry an ax:

The shaft goes up that black sleeve, with a side-release buckle around the bottom of the head. The sleeve can be reduced to a loop at each end of it.  So you could use your existing loop as the lower sleeve end, add another fixed loop for the upper end, and then add the side-release strap to the lower loop.  As the name implies, the tool can be drawn w/o removing the pack, provided you can reach the buckle.

That or lengthen/replace your lower loop to fit the larger tool, and add a side-release strap as an upper loop to secure the shaft.

If you keep the shaft centered, you may end up bumping the back of your head against it.  Maybe try a few arrangements w/ some cord before modding the pack.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

^Thanks for the ideas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools