Topic

Crew size cooking pot suppier?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Crew size cooking pot suppier?

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

One large pot will weigh less than several smaller pots. And the large cook pot is probably the lightest crew gear item other than the spoon. Its certainly lighter than the dining fly, bear ropes, bear bags, first aid kit, stoves or fuel.

I didn’t know Scout Troops did derby cars.

If your “troop didn’t do anything beyond derby cars” Philmont may be a bit of a challenge for your troop.

Picking and choosing only the parts of Boy Scouting and Philmont’s Patrol Method you like would be like only obeying the laws you like or only playing sports game only by the rules you like. If you’re going to participate you ought to learn and practice all the rules (techniques).

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

We will follow the rules.  That doesn’t mean I can’t disagree with them.

I believe it would be better to teach scouts backpacking skills they would use when they leave scouting. It’s not abandonment of the patrol method to teach one skill that is outside of the patrol method.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

A lot of troops have tried to devise ways to get around the Patrol Method of cooking and Philmont has squashed most of those but troops keep trying new ways. Don’t be one of those troops. Be a participant and train your Scouts in the proper Philmont techniques, if only at Philmont.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.” Moonshine

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

the pot on the left looks like it will nest inside the other. Both are stainless 6 quart capacity.

[​IMG]
    <div data-redactor=”1″>10.0 inches (H) x 17.0 inches (W) x 8.0 inches (D)  https://www.target.com/p/stainless-steel-sweet-and-easy-snack-machine/-/A-16625598</div&gt;
    <div data-redactor=”1″></div>
    <div data-redactor=”1″>attachFull695450</div>
    <div data-redactor=”1″>6.0 meter (H) x 9.0 inches (W) x 6.0 inches (D)  https://www.target.com/p/whirley-pop-153-stainless-steel-stovetop-popcorn-popper-with-real-theater-all-inclusive-popping-kit-silver/-/A-49139218</div&gt;
    <div data-redactor=”1″>attachFull695451</div>

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

the pot on the left looks like it will nest inside the other. Both are stainless 6 quart capacity.

What are the advantages of these?  Are they lighter than other options?

The one with the fixed handle would be more awkward in a backpack. For the Whirley-Pop, it would have no handle at all since I assume you leave the top behind.

Gerry H
    BPL Member

@geeteeh

Locale: USA Mid-Atlantic

I have found two of the ALUMINUM versions of the 6 quart Whirley-Pop pots at Goodwill. I paid the princely sum of $5 for each one on separate shopping trips. Someone here on BPL talked about them at some point as being good lightweight Philmont pots. I have never seen a stainless steel version, but I suppose they exist.

Other than not having a bail or other handle, they are nice pots and are VERY light. Pot pliers or a Leatherman work fine for lifting them. I will put them on a scale this evening if I can remember.

No, you don’t take the lid with the crank with you on the trail. Make a lid from an disposable-style aluminum pan from the supermarket.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

What are the advantages of these?  Are they lighter than other options?

Remove all unnesessary parts from lids and then add bail type handles to the pots. Ditch the extended handles. Be creative.  I like how the lid can be opened half way to check/stir contents.

One of the pots will nest inside the other for packability. One pot for cooking and the other for washing dishes. Nothing is too heavy for a scout when it comes to eating ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools