Topic

Columbia OutDry Ex Platinum Tech Rain Shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Columbia OutDry Ex Platinum Tech Rain Shell

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty disappointing considering the hype.  EPIC (outer) + shoulder and seam taped tyvek top (mid layer) would be better alternatives as far as long trips that involve bushwacking. The trick is to use two layers of low surface energy, but more air permeable materials that don’t require a DWR.   You may get a little wet in some circumstances, but the system will dry very fast, and using a fishnet or power dry high efficiency (like Cap 4) as a baselayer would decrease discomfort when damp.   Just like Paramo type systems, the above would likely test as technically waterproof, but in most cases (except torrential downpours and/or heavier rain with driving wind), you don’t need the high waterproofness of many WPB membrane type systems.

Edited to take out the PP baselayer + tyvek suggestion.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I am not surprised. The idea is good of course, but I think that if you see what they can achieve currently with convential waterproofs, achieving this Outdry Extreme to be at the same time ultra-breathable, AP, never wetting out and perfect for bushwalking would be too giant a step forward. As far as I can see, the GTX Active with PBS is completely different, is AP and should have a lot higher MVTR, but is not suitable for bushwalking. You can’t have it all from the first try.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, I wonder if they could develop a more durable version in a couple of years. Somehow I think they can.

BTW, I saw that one of the commenters on that article was A. Skurka. Now, his reaction shows good knowledge but nothing more and that is not the first time I saw that. Not a problem at all if wouldn’t see many posts (certainly not only here) that refer to his advice with the notion ‘if it comes from Skurka, it must be true’. Well, he might be a great adventurer but that is it in my eyes and what he has to say is interesting but nothing special

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I would like to see a comparison test of breathability with goretex active, neoshell, and outdry extreme. Based on the link above, it seems TNF gtx active is very breathable but lacks significant durability compared to outdry extreme but weighs a lot less also.

Seem to me outdry extreme works well but is heavy. Very interested in long term durability tests specifically for backpackers (shoulder strap wear/tear).

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

is this stuff basically 2.5 layer turned inside out?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, yes and no. A classic 2,5 has a face fabric and a waterproof layer with a print or so to mimic a liner. This has no face fabric, the waterproof layer on the outside, and a liner on the inside. The waterproof layer is somewhat engineered to be able to use it as the outside layer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just like Paramo type systems, the above would likely test as technically waterproof, but in most cases (except torrential downpours and/or heavier rain with driving wind), you don’t need the high waterproofness of many WPB membrane type systems.

I’ve apparently gone over the editing time frame allowance.  The above should say “…the above wouldn’t likely test as technically waterproof…”

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

In my earlier post above, #3387477, I described my analysis of the Outdry Extreme fabric. I said that based on the PU thickness, the resultant durability for bushwhacking should be very good. I meant very good relative to typical UL rain jackets. A standard Martindale abrasion test of the material results in a score of less than 600; 1000 is generally the minimum acceptable  level for soft furniture fabrics.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Interesting as the technology behind the new GTX Active with PBS is reported to have an outcome of between 1000 and 10.000 cycles on a Martinsdale-tester.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Woubeir,

A Martindale test yields a single rub count number. What does a 1,000 – 10,000 (10x range) mean for Gore-Tex Active with Permanent Beading Surface?

I asked W. L Gore CS, Arcteryx CS, and The North Face CS what the Martindale rub count value for this material was but, they didn’t have an answer.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Richard,

I just mean that they did several tests and while one showed only 1000 cycles, I’ve also saw 3000, 5000 and 10.000 as the outcome of other tests (on slightly different ‘laminates’).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Of course Backpacker loves it and says the jacket never wets out. Period.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

If I understand correctly, the Martingale tests show that GTX Active is more durable than Columbia Outdry Extreme, 1000+ vs. 600.   That seems counter to what everyone has been saying, so I’m not sure I’m reading the Martingale test data accurately.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

It depends on the actual testconditions because it’s not because you use a Martindale-apparatus, that you can compare the results.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I got some information about this Outdry Extreme. Interestingly, it compares the breathability with some other well known products, namely eVent, GTX Paclite, H2No and Hyvent and not surprisingly it scores the best (in their test).

Alex Willows
    BPL Member

@bigggbird

Locale: Tasmania

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m currently looking for a new waterproof for a trip next year, and am looking at some of the new fabric jackets (Goretex Active PBS and Outdry Ex).

Which tests were you referring to Woubeir?

Has anybody had any further experience with the Outdry Ex? Unfortunately it would seem that both the Norvan SL and the HyperAir GTX are just going to be too flimsy for an extended backpacking trip (10 months, +/-), but I would love something that doesn’t wet out. I guess I’m looking particularly at the Ex Light Shell, though at 311g for a men’s M, it’s not that light compared to others! Durability sounds significantly better vs. Gore PBS. Any comments appreciated.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Alex,

The ~3 oz. difference between the Gold and New Ex Light is because they eliminated the pit zips.

If you don’t have access to a washer/dryer to periodically renew DWR and need good durability, it is the best choice. The MVT is lower than all other WPB options on a standard test.

Alex Willows
    BPL Member

@bigggbird

Locale: Tasmania

Thanks for that Richard! Sounds like it might be a go for me, as we’ll be travelling a lot, and doing a lot of walking, occasionally with relatively heavy packs, so it would be nice to have something that will last the trip. And really, 350ish grams is not too bad. It will definitely be nice to have something that won’t wet out. Still, I might wait and see how the Mammut Shakedry jacket goes later in the year. Too many choices!

Marc Dalessio
    Spectator

@marcdalessio

My experience with the Norvan SL is that the fabric does rip very easily. I barely touched some very soft branches (hanging ivy type stuff) with mine and it left a couple of pin-sized holes.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools