Topic

Columbia OutDry Ex Platinum Tech Rain Shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Columbia OutDry Ex Platinum Tech Rain Shell

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Columbia just started shipping their new WPB. The first end-user review, I have seen,  is not positive. See  REI Review

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I should have access to one of these jackets some time soon that I can test and review. If you had any tests that you would like done on it, just let me know and I will send it to you.

My plan is to try and bushwack through chapparal with the jacket and see how the wateproofness holds up. That all depends if it rains more this spring as the area around me gets no rain through the summer and fall.

Even if it’s not that breathable, as long as it allows some moisture evaporation then it’s still a huge breakthrough in technology, assuming its durable.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Justin,

Based on my reading of their patent, they are using MP PU on the outer layer with a protective PU “diamond grid” pattern over it for abrasion protection. I have tested other vendors using MP PU on their inner layer and it averaged .17 CFM. I am curious if it is reduced by the addition of the abrasion protective PU “diamond grid” pattern. After your rainy season tests are complete, please send it to me to test the air permeability and I will post the results to the forum.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Richard, do you have the patent-numbers ?

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

In his review he mentions Neoshell.  What is it about this that people don’t like?  Does it also wet out?  Is it the weight?  I’m surprised more people are not going that route, unless it was also marketing hype?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

First, I don’t see in the review something negative about NeoShell; only the question to compare this Outdry Extreme with it on the breathability front.

Second: as NeoShell-pieces currently use face fabrics, yes, it can wet out and as easily as any other with this construction.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

“First, I don’t see in the review something negative about NeoShell; only the question to compare this Outdry Extreme with it on the breathability front.

Second: as NeoShell-pieces currently use face fabrics, yes, it can wet out and as easily as any other with this construction.”

I agree nothing negative about Neoshell in the review.  I don’t see much mention of neoshell on here or other backpacking sites and it made me wonder why.  Thanks.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, it gets some attention here. But it’s not a miracle fabric.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Woubeir,

US20130312905

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Thanks.

Although I have the impression that it doesn’t necessarily apply to Outdry Extreme.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

I have to say it does look promising. I am tempted to order the Columbia OutDry Extreme Diamond Shell jacket, but since it is “new” and untested, I’d be worried about taking it someplace extreme like the French Alps.

I will wait and see what kind of reviews this jacket gets before taking the plunge.

Eric

Anonymous
    Inactive

So far it sounds like a slightly less breathable, more durable, heavier, much more expensive version of Frog Toggs.

Rather than spend that kind of money for the above, i would be more inclined to combine Frog Toggs (or Tyvek jacket/suit) with a say a thin Terramar Polypropylene base layer shirt on top.  The PP top baselayer is mostly  to provide abrasion resistance to the Frog Togs while not wetting out in the same way that nylon, or even polyester does to some extent (fibers swelling with water absorption). It’s so breathable, that while it will lose some breathability with being soaked with water, it should retain a much higher CFM than the typical face fabrics on most WPB type clothing.  PP also being lighter per same volume.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I got an ex gold tehc jacket today. It weighs right at 12 ounces in size medium. It’s a big medium, columbia runs big. The fit is comparable to my size large marmot precip. I could have gone with a small but I wanted room to layer over my montbell mirage down jacket.

Huge mesh pocket, not sure what the point of it is. What am I going to store in that thing? I may cut the mesh out as I can’t access the pockets with pack hipbelt.

The hood adjust is a bit odd and not easy to use, you pull on the cord and then tuck into a channel for a friction fit. No idea why they didn’t just do a standard cord toggle.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the mesh pockets are for keeping stuff like gloves inside … that way they stay warm

;)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I will be watching this closely as I am curious about Outdry Extreame.  Is it rock solid waterproof?  How does it compare to GTX and eVent in breathability?  Is it durable enough to bushwhack in?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Eric, that would make more sense if they were mesh drop pouches that you dropped stuff in from the top. These mesh pouches are sealed at the top. Doesn’t make sense to load up a mesh pocket from the bottom where you unzip it and everything can fall out. I do really like the drop pouch in my mirage for that. I don’t think I would use this jacket in temps cold enough to worry about keeping my gloves warm, I have a neoshell jacket for that.

Brad, those are the questions I want answers too as well.

Forgot to mention this is the ex gold tech jacket not the ex platinum. Looking at Columbia’s website the more expensive models seem to have the same fabric but with more features and pockets and stuff, which makes the simpler ex gold tech jacket probably a better option for lightweight backpacking (assuming its the lightest model).

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

lol, when I emailed Columbia told me the Gold jacket in men’s medium was 8.5 oz. I raised my eyebrow but didn’t email back.

Justin, could you cut open the pocket at the top without removing it? How are the pit zips? Size, position, ease of use?

My main interest in this is a jacket that never needs DWR…if it’s durable enough and not a sauna.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

yes, you could cut the mesh at the top and use it that way. The pit zips are pretty standard, not big long zip ones. The zipper can be a little sticky and require some wiggling. I’ll try and get a photo later.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Cool, thanks.

Maybe in a couple years this fabric will be available to experiment with…

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

From first impressions that I’ve read about so far, it sounds like the new gore-tex active, which appears to use similar technology to this Columbia stuff, may even be more promising.  People are saying that it’s very breathable and it is being offered in lighter garments.  The North Face hyperair GTX is supposedly only 7.3 oz.  Obvioulsy, we won’t know about durability for a while, so I’ll be holding out for at least 6 months.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don’t disagree with you but for now I don’t think the new GTX Active Shell is durable enough for backpacking.   It is being marketed to runners and cyclists now.

The Arcterex Norvan SL is under 5oz.

The Colombia stuff looks like it “could” be Alaska brush worthy.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Columbia Outdry Extreme – lowest breathability of the WPB class

I tested the fabric breathability of a Columbia Outdry Extreme Titanium jacket today. It is comprised of a relatively thick PU layer that was heat and pressure bound to a polyester fabric inner. It IS NOT AIR PERMEABLE and its ~8,000 MVTR (B1 inverted cup JIS 1099 because it simulates nearly 100% internal humidity for the highest number of the 13 common tests) is about ½ that of the average PU coated rain jackets on the market. It is less than 1/3 the MVTR of the better WPB options such as eVent, Gore-Tex Pro, or NeoShell. As the thickness of the PU layer goes up to increase durability, the MVTR goes down because of a longer Brownian movement path.

Thickness Examples

The Columbia description of this product’s construction contradicts my air permeability test results. They say, Here Traditional raingear uses interior waterproof membranes which don’t allow for air flow, and water-repellent coating that degrades over time. With OutDry™ Extreme, the rugged exterior is an incredibly water-tight membrane with millions of microscopic perforations that let water vapor escape through a wicking membrane directly fused to the shell.

The PU surface energy is less than water and so it will bead water rather than saturate as long as it is not severely abraded or torn. I measured the material thickness at .191mm; so, its durability for bushwhacking should be very good.

The size XL I tested weighed 13.79 oz. and was very well constructed.

Alternatives that should perform similarly include non WPB rain gear such as ponchos, the highly vented US Special Forces PCU L6, or the SD Elite Cagoule Jacket.

Outer PU Layer 20mm FOV

Outer PU Layer 5mm FOV

Inner Nylon Fabric 20mm FOV

Inner Nylon Fabric 5mm FOV

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

So it’s not that breathable, but is it more breathable than a wetted out 3 layer jacket? If so then it should still be a valuable option for long trips that involve bushwacking and extended wet weather. Is there any flaw in my logic here?

I was excited for this jacket for it’s potential as a bushwacking or super wet weather rain jacket, for more standard trips I have a neoshell jacket and an ultralight rain jacket.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Justin,

Your assessment as to the niche where this jacket excels, seems reasonable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools