Topic

Cheap, lightish two person tent for the tall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap, lightish two person tent for the tall?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

If I may ask, I know no tent/system covers all situations but would be one or the style to go to that would be very breathable and keep bugs out for a 82F degree night in the summer and still do good to about 0F to block strong winds and light snow loads?

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Brett, I think the Tarptent Cloudburst 3 is a great tent for two tall people.  You might have to add some guy out points to it to get it to stand up to really strong winds.  Perhaps out of your price range new, but posting a WTB in gear swap might bring up one in your price range.

Roger,  it’s a shame your tunnel tent deal did not work out.  I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Not free standing or inexpensive.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@Brett. To your “no one tent comment.”  I think you are right.

I recall at one point Hilleberg stated that you could set up many of their tents with the inner tent only for summer nights to protect against bugs. I have never hear any user field reports about that use case. They are also no cheap although some used ones show up on Gear Swap.

Martin Farrent
    BPL Member

@martinfarrent

@btolley

“How do I pitch the inner tent separately? … Attach the pole holders, purchased separately, to the toggles at the sides … The Akto, Allak, Soulo, Staika, and Tarra require separate pole holder kits that have the extra webbing to attache the pole holders to these tents.”

From: http://europe.hilleberg.com/EN/faq/how-do-I-pitch-the-inner-tent-separately/

Given the price of a Hilleberg, I find the need to purchase extras for this particular purpose a bit of a cheek. After all, setting up the inner separately is something many much cheaper tents facilitate out of the box.

That said, I have done it – though not in a Hilleberg. It’s good. Nice and airy and bug-proof. But you still feel more cooped up than in a full mesh shelter. I even feel less restricted in my Lunar Solo with only the front rolled back – giving me a fuller view of the surroundings through the mesh.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I had to look up the Marmot Eclipse. I would be impressed by anyone who can figure out the pole structure and get it up correctly in bad weather. It is spectacularly complex.

Yes, I agree with the two-tents comment. Our blue tent is fine for most conditions, but I won’t take it into the snow.

Cheers

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

So for a cheap, lightish, freestanding, two person tent for three season use for a tall person it looks like the Tarptent Bowfin 2 at around $330 for 3lbs.  The tents that are under $300 or weigh 5#s and usually closer to 6 or 7.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools