Topic

Can anyone recommend a scale?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can anyone recommend a scale?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jason F
    Spectator

@jsf80238gmail-com

This is for weighing the equipment I own or might buy.

Preferably:

• Can be purchased in a physical store.
    • Is accurate to 0.5 ounce or less.
    • Has a precision of 0.5 ounce or better.
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/102224/

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/advice-on-a-digital-scale/

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/41803/

I purchased one of these about six months ago and I’m pleased so far: AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Scale with LCD Display (Batteries Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9NQ8GX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nlm1CbT94Q998

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Don’t know if you can find this is a physical store, but I have it and like it:

Jason F
    Spectator

@jsf80238gmail-com

Thank you, Paul.  I looked for a search bar because I figured this question had been asked before, but I could not figure out how to search past messages.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I will suggest that you change your criteria to finding one that works in both grams and ounces.  They call us “Gram Weenies” for a reason…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Jason, I just google “backpackinglight __________” with whatever topic I’m interested in replacing the underscores.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I bought this one back in 2012 and it is still going strong…on the original batteries no less.  2kg limit and accurate to 0.1g.  I’ve used it for everything from understanding/reducing my pack weight to measuring out brewing salts (as little as 0.2g) for home brewing.  When it fails I’ll buy another provided it is still available.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Like many others here, I got a cheapie scale off Amazon 5-6 years ago and it’s still going strong. Accurate, tare, oz/g/lb. If you want to buy local there should be some in any Walmart, Target, probably even CVS or Walgreen’s.

BTW, if you want to test the accuracy or calibrate the scale, a U.S. nickel weighs 5g.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Physical store? Bed Bath and Beyond. Any should meet your requirements.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Physical store? Bed Bath and Beyond. Any should meet your requirements. Most do grams and lbs and ounces. The basic ones go for about $12.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

BB&B has a bunch of different kitchen scales, here’s what to look for:

• What’s your maximum weight requirement? Most go to 5 kg / 11 lbs, which is plenty except for weighing a filled pack. Use a digital luggage scale for that, also available at BB&B.
    • Almost all kitchen scales have unit buttons for switching from US to metric. You want one that can measure in 1 gram increments, some kitchen scales use only 5 gram increments. Check to be sure.
    • Look for a scale where you can see the weight reading at an angle. Many scales display the weight on the same surface you weigh on, and that’s too easy to block with bulky backpacking gear. You can work around that with a small box, but still …
    • Check the scale for accuracy and consistency when you get home. US nickels weigh 5.000 grams, pennies weigh 2.500 grams when new. Weigh individual coins, and put something heavier on the scale, then add some coins to see if the weight goes up the right amount. Watch to see if the weight is stable, or constantly jumping around.
    • Check that the tare button actually re-zeros the reading. Some tare buttons do weird things.
    • Virtually all kitchen scales run on batteries for a long, long time. Don’t buy an AC adapter.

I bought my first scale at BB&B, but it had most of the flaws listed above. Luckily, it worked well in the kitchen. I bought another inexpensive scale on Amazon, and it’s still running almost 10 years later.

Other retail sources of scales:

• US Post Office – my local PO sells one model
    • Target has 6 models in stock
    • Walmart has 5 digital scales in stock, stay away from analog

Good luck.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“I looked for a search bar because I figured this question had been asked before, but I could not figure out how to search past messages.”

Search is the magnifying glass icon in the upper left.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jason,
    If you want to measure larger weights, your query is answered above.
    IF you want to weigh very light weight objects, going as low as a sq ft of DCF, in a number of different measures, the MyWeigh is a great scale, but AFAIK only available on line.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Bumping this thread to see if there’s anything new on the market. Other scale threads are 5+ years old.

I’m “light weight” trying to get a little closer to UL when appropriate and I’m having some issues with my kitchen scale and, as such, considering an update.I’m currently using a Salter kitchen scale that’s been in my kitchen forever. I’ve been weighing some new gear and question its precision and accuracy. Yes, I’m using those terms for a reason!

I can weigh the same tent stake twice and get different values. And I’ve noticed that when switching from ounces to grams the conversion is also inconsistent based what you’d get if you converted using a formula and calculator. Yes, this is way down an OCD rabbit hole. All this makes me wonder if I can rely on this scale.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The stability/repeatability of some scales is8 pretty poor.

I tried the ones at Walmart and returned them they were junk, imo.  They looked good but that was where it stopped.

I use a small harbor freight scale for light things and only weighs up to a pound…. But it does fit in your pocket to take into a store.  It’s actually better than most small scales.

Then of course I’ve got my kitchen type bigger scales.  The one I usually use was about $30 and is used for making coffee. These usually do up to about 10 lb or so. an important feature for a weighing things like making coffee is that it stays on without automatically cutting itself off the weight doesn’t change for 10 seconds or something like that that is a feature you want is to not have it cut itself off automatically. Aggravating as hell.

Then of course you’re going to need one last scale. And that’s a hanging scale. Like a fishing scale.  Good for 50 lb or so.   Side benefit can be used to weigh your cat, with the addition of a grocery bag. (Old cats often have thyroid problems and weight loss because of it). Berkeley digital scale from Walmart is good at about 40 bucks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

@bob-kerner: Have you checked the battery? I’ve noticed that when a battery gets low my (bathroom) scale gets hinky (technical term), so if you haven’t changed the battery in your salter scale perhaps try that first. That would be the least expensive option anyway.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Yes I changed the battery. It’s not the end of the world; I’m not compounding medications with it. Just thought I’d see if there’s anything better / new out there.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

This one is great:

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools