Topic

Brooks Range Backpacking: Practical Lessons Learned From the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Brooks Range Backpacking: Practical Lessons Learned From the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

Companion forum thread to: Brooks Range Backpacking: Practical Lessons Learned From the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

On his Brooks Range Backpacking trip, Jorgen Johansson learns the best ways to cross streams and that paradise is not as far as you think.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Excellent read as always Jorgen. Thanks.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Fantastic read Jorgen!!!   I have always enjoyed reading about your epic adventures in northern Alaska.  Your commentary on the tundra was spot on!

I first backpacked in Alaska last year and I admit I was surprised by many things, the muskeg and tussocks, the dense alder, dwarf birch, and willow thickets, and most of all the remoteness.  I have backpacking in what I felt were pretty remote places in the lower 48, but the vastness and solitude in some (most) areas of Alaska is unreal.  That feeling when the bush plane leaves and you realize you are the only human within ~100 miles is a very unique feeling.

I can’t wait to go back in 2017

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Brad, yes it is a special feeling to know you are alone in the middle of a vast wilderness. Addictive :-) Glad you enjoyed the article.

Bruce Johnson
    BPL Member

@bcjohnson

Thank you! The bracing sort of peace in that wilderness shines through in your writing.

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

Amazing. Thanks for sharing. I’m beginning to think this is something I must experience.

Robert Fomenko
    BPL Member

@bobfnbw

Locale: Corpus Christi Texas

Great read. Not having any experience with river crossings, I learned a lot. Always wanted to cross a fork of the upper Snoqalamie river in Washington to explore a seldom treked valley, but was always afraid to try it solo. You insights will one day come in handy.

Thanks.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

No mosquitoes on your trek? No black flies? Your photos are wonderful.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Hi Karen,

Thank you :-) Mosquitoes were pretty bad in many areas in 2014, when I thru-hiked the ANWR. A head net was needed to preserve my sanity, and minimize DEET use. They were not so bad in 2015 (or my perspective has changed…). No blackflies or biting flies that I can recall. And you usually recall :-)

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Fantastic story and photos. Thank you for sharing Jorgen.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools