Topic

BMT to Death Hollow Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports BMT to Death Hollow Canyon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

The Boulder Mail trail is a hike I’ve had in the back of my mind since I first started coming to the Grand Staircase-Escalante region back in the 00’s. When Tanner and I settled concrete plans to go for a spring trip, it didn’t take me long to nail down an exploratory trip to Death Hollow Canyon. The BMT from Boulder would be a means to get us there, and I knew we’d both have the gumption to find some of the more hidden nook during the three days we’d be out.

Link to full report

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Great write up! I have been thinking about this trip and now it’s on my list.  Thanks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Good stuff Tim, thanks for sharing.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Thanks for bringing back memories of walking there some years ago.  I am not much of a desert kind of guy, but my hiking partner loves the area and I have to admit it is a great place.  We mostly relaxed and swam in the pools and sunned on the rocks when there.  We took a more direct route, parking at the Boulder airfield and heading due west.  We typically camp in a covered amphitheater that has a very cool note book with camp registries back into the early 1900’s and a number  of artifacts dating back much farther than that.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Never heard of Death Hollow Canyon along the Benton Mackaye Trail. Now it makes sense! Thanks for sharing.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Looks like a really fun trip.  Is it all class I/II?

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

“We typically camp in a covered amphitheater that has a very cool note book with camp registries back into the early 1900’s and a number  of artifacts dating back much farther than that.”

John,

You can PM me the details as to the location of that ;)

“Never heard of Death Hollow Canyon along the Benton Mackaye Trail. Now it makes sense! Thanks for sharing.”

Had to go with the abbreviation as my trip report titles get historically way too long!

“Looks like a really fun trip.  Is it all class I/II?”

Ben,

The toughest hiking during this stretch is a bit of bushwhacking through thick vegetation and wading through the creek, sometimes as high as waist deep. We did a little bit of lower class 3 just for the hell of it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools