Topic

Best time to start northbound PCT Washington State section

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Best time to start northbound PCT Washington State section

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

We’re finally thinking of retirement, which will include lots of backpacking, hiking, and kayaking.  One trip we’ve talked about for years is the Washington State section of the PCT (we used to live in Seattle and miss the Cascades and Olympics dearly).

Now we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, Summer 2018.

What start date or strategy to choose a start date would you recommend?

We’re not fast hikers, maybe we can count on 10 miles a day once we’ve been out for a while.  This summer (2017) we plan to discover our typical daily mileage during a one-week trip someplace on the East coast.

We’re hoping for mild weather, minimal rain, and as few bugs as possible.  I know, I know, you can’t hike in Washington State and have all the above, but we’d like to get as close as possible.  In 2006 we did the Wonderland Trail and it pretty much met those requirements, maybe a tad too much cloudy weather.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I think that September is your best month for meeting all of the criteria.

That said last year I was in Washington in September and a nasty 3 day rain storm rolled in that made it over the mountains.

It’s Washington. (Said with the final scene in Chinatown in mind.)

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If you’re looking at a 10 mile per day pace, that’s about 6 weeks. Starting the second week of August and finishing the 3ed week of September would let you hit the driest season, miss most of the bugs, and miss the higher chance of snow/wet/cold in late September. If possible, consider a SOBO hike – that way you get the N Cascades out of the way before Fall, and most of your hill climbs will be on the cool North facing slopes as you hike South.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

+1 to what Lester said.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If possible, consider a SOBO hike – that way you get the N Cascades out of the way before Fall, and most of your hill climbs will be on the cool North facing slopes as you hike South.

Not worth it. Especially as the calendar ticks toward fall, SOBO has you hiking into the sun. Everything’s nicer with the sun at your back.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“If you’re looking at a 10 mile per day pace, that’s about 6 weeks. Starting the second week of August and finishing the 3ed week of September would let you hit the driest season, miss most of the bugs, and miss the higher chance of snow/wet/cold in late September.”

+2

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

I think one thing you might consider is that by 2018, assuming a bit of conditioning, you’ll be able to handle more mileage (especially with lightened packs). Long distance hiking isn’t about speed, it’s about how many hours a day you like to walk. WA section has some hills so if you hike 6 hours a day at 2.5mph you’re going to cover 15 miles. 3 hours in the morning, 3 in the afternoon and you’re done. I took quite a few years off and remember when 15 was typical mileage but that was with a 45lb pack. With 12-15lbs it’s a whole other world. I’m constantly shocked by how high of mileage I can do now that I carry so much less.

So that said, I’m doing the WA section this summer and everything Lester said is right on the mark. If you find you can comfortably do 6 hours a day I’d say no worries on the NOBO but if you really are at 10mi the SOBO should be seriously considered as the South end of the WA section is much less nasty in early season storms vs. the North Cascades. Sun in the face is a consideration as it can get old.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Another factor favoring Northbound is you can’t legally cross the border into the U.S. going SOBO – if you’re law-abiding you’d need to start from Harts Pass, not Manning. For NOBO there’s some special something you have to get, but it’s doable to cross into Canada. Which may affect your transportation choices.

Timing-wise I concur w/Les.

Enjoy. I’m planning to break it up into two trips over the coming summers!

Sara L
    Spectator

@sara-caroline

Hi Elliott,

Are you still on track for hiking the Washington PCT this summer? I am also planning to!  I live in BC and am just starting to plan.  Unfortunately I am restricted by work and it’s looking like I can have the month of July off.  I would love to pick your brain if you have been planning your hike?

Do others have any advise on hiking this section if I am limited to hiking in July?

Thanks

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Hi Sara,

Looks like our PCT Washington section hike will happen summer 2019, other trips have taken precedence in 2018 (Canadian Rockies, some family get togethers, and AT in VA).

One should check the snow conditions prior to a hike because there can be some tricky sections that require microspikes and trekking poles.  Or in the worst case, possibly crampons and an ice axe.  July is a bit early so this may be more of a problem than we were expecting for an August hike.

I read an interesting book by an older guy who did this hike in Aug (Almost There, by G.Jolley).  He went slowly, maybe 8-15 miles per day, and had few problems other than the tricky snow sections I mentioned and extra weight for food.  He resupplied more often that is common.  He points out that if you start at the Mexican border you’re typically in great shape by the time you get to Washington.  If you are just doing the Washington section, unless you are in great shape already, forget about the massive miles PCT thru-hikers make in Washington.

We’re interested in your plans, keep us informed!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Sara,

If you start from the south and just go as slow/fast as you like and walk the month off you should be fine.

The scenery is wonderful as are the people.

Tom L

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools