Topic

Besides Weight, What Are Your Gear No-Nos?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Besides Weight, What Are Your Gear No-Nos?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My gear no-nos are:

1,)colored “clown”hiking shoes  2.)ti mugs (I like plastic)  3.)urethane coated tents  4.)ponchos  5.)large knives   6.)flashlights (small headlamp instead)   7.)ti utensils   8.)UL running shoes  9.)white gas stoves – except in winter  10.)pack liners (I prefer covers)  11.)tent floor footprints (unless absolutely necessary)  12.)water filters (other than #2 coffee filters to strain out bugs and small children)

OK, that’s my dozen no-nos.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Boots (except winter), pack covers, tent footprints, bear bells…

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Ti pots, mugs, utensils. I go for aluminum pots and plastic mugs and utensils.

Knife with a blade longer than 1.5″

Water filter systems. I go with Aquamira.

More than one of any clothing item except socks.

Rain shell and pants. Wore them for decades but went back to ponchos/capes after getting caught in a Sierra Nevada thunderstorm at altitude with three other men. Horizontal rain, then hail and sleet, lightning strikes less than a second away. I had brought a poncho to save weight, they all had shells and pants. To my great surprise, I was comfortable but they were all borderline hypothermic by the time we got back down to the cars. Just started using the SMD Gatewood Cape as poncho, pack cover and tent.

More than one celebratory shot of booze. Too heavy. I go with…wait…um, never mind.

Headlamp that weighs more than 2 ounces or cost more then $20.

White gas or kerosene stoves. Period.

Chair or stool.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Judgmental hiking partners.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Nothing hanging off the pack; everything must fit inside or be securely attached. I do too much bushwhacking to allow things to swing and sway.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

^^
    Absolutely. Clean outlines.
    I do sometimes permit a covered roll of foam on the outside when ski touring: no scrub you see.

Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Even on big wide trails, swinging gear saps energy.

My don’t takes:
    Arkoudaphobia gear.
    Pack Covers.
    Knives over an ounce.
    Headlamps (a hiking light belongs at your waist, not on your head).
    Chairs.
    Trekking poles unless there are numerous and wicked stream crossings.
    White gas.  Like ever, anymore.  In winter with a sled, I bring propane.
    Fishing gear, the only point of which is to fill the freezer but I’ll be far from my freezer.
    Any non-LED light source (candles, carbide, fluorescent, Coleman lanterns).

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

arkoudaphobia

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Whiners.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Arkoudaphobia – it’s why I still won’t watch a football game in Soldier Field, and I’m retired military!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

David & Doug: How can you bear weight then?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

:-)

But that would only be me, David said he does not take that fear on trips.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

I, do however, bring some gear for bears.  A frying pan, oil, onions, potatoes, and carrots.  Manfred can attest to my bear stew and bear hash in camp and there’s been bear pastrami served at a GGG.

DavidG: it tastes even more like beef stew than the caribou stew I’ve served you in Adak.  In May, they walk around on four legs, eating grass, so they taste like a cow.  Whereas caribou ALWAYS taste remarkably like reindeer.

Jens Aarnaes
    BPL Member

@finnmark

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Though I have tried them, I don’t use trekking poles. I enjoy the challenge of walking/scrambling without them. This has worked for me for over 50 years of backpacking. I do acknowledge that someday I may actually need them but hopefully that day is a long way off.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

cheap scotch

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Expensive scotch. I find the environs make up for it, though I’m happy to be convinced otherwise with someone else’s bottle …  ; )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I’ll keep trying….

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Lightweight ankle gaiters.

I sometimes use regular waterproof gaiters for really wet cold terrain. But the lightweight – Dirty girl type- I’ve tried and they just don’t work very well for the nuisance of putting them on and off, one more thing to wash, dry, pack.  With the type of shoes I’ve been wearing, the mesh is in front of the laces, so the gaiter doesn’t go all the way to the toe. So plenty of dirt gets in anyway. Not worth the bother.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Bad bourbon

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

>”Expensive scotch”

If it doesn’t smell of dirty socks, you didn’t pay enough for it?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Re: hiking poles: “I do acknowledge that someday I may actually need them but hopefully that day is a long way off.”

They’re not a walker. I don’t ‘need’ them in that sense. I like them for stream crossings and other situations. And I like them for going steeply downhill over bad terrain; etc. etc.

I remember reading one of those climbing books–I can’t remember which one– where the author’s friend says “he can’t go to the toilet without taking his hiking poles”. It does get like that…

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

p.s. I do bear weight on my poles on the downhills, so I guess I bring Arkoudaphobia gear after all.

Otherwise, the bears and me just seem to have an understanding.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

For anything small like a lighter, battery bank, phone case etc I either get bright color or put bright tape on it. Nothing dark if avoidable.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Straw-coloured tent pegs and string are another no-no. They are so easy to lose in dead grass!

Cheers

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Saws, hatchets, “tactical” knives, flints, wood stoves, fishing rods and other bushcraft/survivalist stuff. I prefer to leave the hills as I found them…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools