Topic

Bay Area GGG Future

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area GGG Future

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

That Big Sur site sounds pretty cool.  :)  But heck, if there’s a bunch of BPL’s I’d come to just about anywhere with dirt.

The last half of April might be busy for some inasmuch as it is PCT Kickoff and those doing the trail will start often a week or two before kickoff.  The JMT Jam is also in April.

HJ

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I was in Big Sur about a month ago. Everything from Monterey south to about San Luis Obispo was closed indefinitely due to the fire. Had to cancel a planned BPing trip and car camp instead. Closed areas included state parks and Los Padres NF. A few beach campgrounds were open.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I was supposed to look into Big Basin @Waddell Creek….have not done that yet. Sorry. I will check in and find out what the possibilities are, before the weekend is over. One way or the other I sure hope we can get the gathering together.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Big Basin group camp would be outstanding if we could get it!  Any coastal venue including Montana de Oro would be cool.

HJ

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Between the two campsites (Twin Redwood and Alder) there should be enough room to host a GGG.

It’s just a couple of miles walk from the trail head at Waddell Beach.

The downside is water which would need to be carried in. Waddell Creek flows close to the camps but a ranger I spoke with (when I last camped there with a Scout group) suggested not using water from the creek. There’s a lot of sewage that’s seeped into the ground water over the years from septic tanks in homes in the surrounding hills. The ranger suggested that even filtration or chemical treatment using backpacking grade gear would not render the water safe enough. Most of the folk working the phones making reservations at Big Basin do not seem to know about the water issues. Most of them have probably never been down to those campsites.

Many Scout troops camping there just haul water in – some by bike as bikes are allowed on that stretch of the trail.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Since I live 10 minutes from Waddell Creek I could stash good water there ahead of time. I may even get access through Big Creek. I will try and find out this weekend.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Near the Twin Redwood and Alder camps at Big Basin, there’s a water spigot at the ranger station & horse camp ~1.5 miles away. I’ve never trusted Waddell Creek water — it’s the color of strong tea from redwood tannins, and the park’s wastewater treatment plant discharges upstream. Quoting their discharge permit, which expired yesterday:

The Discharger shall post warnings in park brochures and at Waddell Creek Trail heads and access points to warn the public of the hazards of drinking from Waddell Creek.

Those camp sites will be mostly cool and damp, and possibly quite overgrown, depending on park maintenance schedules.

Best to reserve an entire camp site. The party-hardy crowd, complete with kegs and amplified sound systems, discovered these sites a long time ago, despite the ~2 mile hike in.

— Rex

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

These camps are closed in the winter – https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26658
    The following Trail Camps will be CLOSED starting November 1<sup>st</sup>.
    Twin Redwoods Trail Camp in Big Basin Redwoods State Park
    Alder Trail Camp in Big Basin Redwoods State Park

I’m game for any time of the year for the GGG but my preference is winter. I’ve enjoyed the cold trips.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

OK, I may be in a position to spring for group reservations, but I’m going to need help to pull this off. Up front cost to reserve the usual two group sites at Manzanita Point in Henry Coe State park (up to 50 people each) is $308.

I’m thinking last weekend of January 1/27-1/29 or first weekend of February 2/3-2/5.

Also thinking Henry Coe State park again, just because I know where it is and it would be easy for me. Plus they are allowing wood fires in the fire rings at the Manzanita Group Camps. Will absolutely consider specific suggestions for camps that are open and can accommodate up to 75 people. This is one area where I could use some help.

I want to make a decision and reservations in the next couple of days, so I’m seeking input from all interested persons.

I could also use help setting up a web-based sign up and pay page. Any volunteers?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looking forward to it!

FWIW That weekend in Jan. is New Moon.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I hope this happens! I’ve been thinking about getting out to Coe soon anyway.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for your willingness to get this going David. Either weekend works for me. Let me know if I can help…

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

First weekend in February is good for us*.  I may be able to help with some logistics.

-J

*Last weekend in Jan is Chinese New Year, so we already have things booked.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools